McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: McLaren MP4-28

FrukostScones wrote:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2013-5.jpg

LOL, nice picture
Indeed! it is nice for two reasons! The first one is apparent! :D The second one is the very close look to McLaren's wheels! They are continuing the use of the clever brake cooling system!

ell66
ell66

richard_leeds wrote:Presumably they believe the benefit of a smoother profile is greater than the disadvantage of a bigger cross section.

Remember last year they thought a lower smooth nose was better than a higher stepped nose. So they obviously see significant benefits in the smooth profile. This year gives them the best of both.
Or maybe the difference is negligible and just decided to go down the aesthetic route.

ringo

Any photoshoot pics with the white backgrounds?
I'd love to see a top view.
For Sure!!

amouzouris

In this photo you can see the reason for the bulge in front of the top of the sidepod air intake:

The bulge is covering the side impact structure so that the sidepod itself can start further back

McMrocks
McMrocks

ringo wrote:Any photoshoot pics with the white backgrounds?
I'd love to see a top view.
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... an/145.jpg

Ferraripilot

The sidepods appear to have a higher CoG but a larger undercut all around the floor and to the exhaust. The intake is more triangular which is a W03 trait. This will be a good car as it appears to have the best features of 27 and of te other machines on the field. 27 was the quickest car by far by the end of 2012 so if These drivers are up to the challenege I believe they could have a winner on their hands. The pullrod front end however may require a race or two to deduce its best setup as Ferrari had growing pains in this department.

godlameroso

The rear beam wing is a work of art. Elsewhere I see plenty of optimizations from last year's chassis, nothing major, just a lot of little details here and there. It should definitely be better than last year's cars. I can't wait to see it's improved race pace, hopefully someone has last year's testing times so we can compare.
Saishū kōnā

prince
prince

godlameroso wrote:The rear beam wing is a work of art. Elsewhere I see plenty of optimizations from last year's chassis, nothing major, just a lot of little details here and there. It should definitely be better than last year's cars. I can't wait to see it's improved race pace, hopefully someone has last year's testing times so we can compare.
I don't think you can compare this year's winter test times to last year's. Remember, almost everybody has gained a lot of pace through the year's development. Unless there is revolution, It is common sense that we are gonna see evolved cars, which means teams trying to build on top of brazil spec. I wouldn't be surprised to see pace in excess of a second or second and half in this year's test times. Also, Pirelli is going to provide tyres which will warm up quickly (although die away quickly too), which means a bit more addition of pace, right away.

This car definitely looks better than last year's.

beelsebob
beelsebob

gibells wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Presumably they believe the benefit of a smoother profile is greater than the disadvantage of a bigger cross section.

Remember last year they thought a lower smooth nose was better than a higher stepped nose. So they obviously see significant benefits in the smooth profile. This year gives them the best of both.
@ Richard. Yes I can see the benefits of a smooth nose. And I understand the concept of a smaller cross section. But surely adding a cover to a stepped nose dissolves the latter?
No, the cross section of both noses is identical. Remember... the step nose has... a step.

Shakeman

Would love to see a comparison between the 28 and the 27 with raised nose to see how much or how little difference there is.

There's lots of conclusions being drawn from the launch pictures which might look a bit off come testing. To an layman's but interested eye it appears they've built the car that Gary Anderson said they should've built mid season with the higher nose so hat tip to him for having the temerity to know what he's talking about.

I've seen it written that the exhaust will change come testing, really? Last year's did change but only to show the real exhaust detail not a completely different setup. I can't believe Macca would move towards a RB solution given what Paddy Lowe has said on the subject and the greater emphasis on shedding drag at high speed.

It was nice to see Ron with his usual "someone's farted" expression on his face this morning.

Holm86

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfFjUIbczw[/youtube]

Some lauch highlights. That was a great launch. Lotus could learn some here.

And what a great host. Plus shes extremly hot :)
Last edited by Holm86 on 31 Jan 2013, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

Car looks "Refined" lookes like a winner... but never discount RedBull and Ferrari.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

beelsebob
beelsebob

Quite a big difference Shakeman:

Coefficient
Coefficient

Ferraripilot wrote:The sidepods appear to have a higher CoG but a larger undercut all around the floor and to the exhaust. The intake is more triangular which is a W03 trait. This will be a good car as it appears to have the best features of 27 and of te other machines on the field. 27 was the quickest car by far by the end of 2012 so if These drivers are up to the challenege I believe they could have a winner on their hands. The pullrod front end however may require a race or two to deduce its best setup as Ferrari had growing pains in this department.

I don't believe Ferrari struggled to implement the pull-rod front at all. Pull-rod, push-rod, these teams have used both many times and are intimately familiar with their characteristics and how to get the best out of them. Ferrari's biggest issue was getting the back end and the aero to work consistently. Flow reattchment post DRS was a particular bug bear which they didn't manage to fully iron out all year.

There are a lot of parts missing from the MP4 28 in these shots so its difficult to judge the overall concept until they start to fill in the blanks. Its a bit more Red Bull and Ferrari for sure with the Pull Rod front (ferrari), taller narrower sidepods and max height tub (Red Bull). There is no rear brake assembly to view so far and no under nose veins. The big black panel at the rear of the side pods is going to come off and be replaced with something more dramatic and interesting and the diffuser on the show car has probably been on every Mclaren show car since 2009 its so vanilla.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Coefficient
Coefficient

Holm86 wrote:Some launch highlights. That was a great launch. Lotus could learn some here.

And what a great host. Plus shes extremly hot :)
Not half mate, She does the Sky TV show alongside Anthony Davidson! Well tasty!!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".