Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Huntresa
Huntresa

Re: Ferrari F138

amouzouris wrote:Say what??
James Allen wrote: The Ferrari is using a DRS booster system using a Fluidic Switch, which channels air flow above a certain speed to increase the drag reduction system. It’s a difficult thing to get working right on a race track, but could be a useful gain if they nail it. Most of the top teams will probably evolve one as the year goes on.

It looks like this innovation could be the first “must-have” technology gizmo of the 2013 season.
But where does the air go ? :P I mean they cant have run a DRS booster connected to the RW this test since nothing was connected to the RW, and im assuming you cant run air thru the RW endplates upwards since that would take quite alot of air and speed, no ?

Rikhart
Rikhart

Wasnt a photo taken of the bulkhead, with the nose cone removed? I think so, but cant find it...

Hail22

The birth and photo montage of the F 138 with a small video near the end (Credit to Gianluca Scinetti):

Check out the crash structure and the "real" size of the side pods ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_muCq4XC35w[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

stefan_
stefan_

Nice find, Hail. Here are the interesting parts from the video:

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Hail22

Edit: Nevermind looks to be the F 138 engine cover but the decals/logos are incomplete, for a moment I thought it was a development part.

However looking at the side pod profile, it looks ever so slightly different to the F2012's structure :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

stefan_
stefan_

I like to see bare chassis like this one. I think someone at Ferrari won't be very happy for these photos.

You made me look closer at that engine cover, but I couldn't figure out anything anyway :)
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Spankyham

wesley123 wrote:My guess is that it is both driver cooling and that it bleeds off the boundary layer. Much like the Red Bull did last season or the sauber duct in the nose.
I believe Felipe has, on a few occasions now, mentioned that it is very hot in the car. I took it to mean he was getting toasted. you'd think that size inlet would be able to cool whatever is toasting him, so perhaps its not mostly going to KERS or driver cooling.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

zonk
zonk

Massa explained to reporters at Jerez. "We had a few issues with the car in terms of the temperature inside; the car at the beginning was maybe a little bit hotter than I expected. It’s a new car so we need to understand the direction to fix that. I don’t think it’s a really difficult thing to fix."

The cockpit air duct for electronics and driver cooling in F2012

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

stefan_ wrote:I like to see bare chassis like this one. I think someone at Ferrari won't be very happy for these photos.
Just a tub with some hard points. I don't think there's anything to really glean from them. Seeing the guts of their suspension topology would be interesting. But a bare tub... meh.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Forza

Beside the boundary layer removal theory and new KERS unit (Lucca Marmorini "... compact, with the components grouped together centrally under the fuel cell...For 2013, we have succeeded in decreasing both the weight and the volume. That in turn involved improving the efficiency of the system, which is an important step when we look ahead to the 2014 regulations, when the system will have to perform for much longer. This meant finding a way to decrease the drop off in performance, particularly as far as the batteries are concerned. ") which is also used by Sauber there is also the new TAG 320 SECU located somewhere in this area under the drivers' legs.
TAG 320 wrote: Environmental:
- Splash resistant to standard motorsport fluids
- Lids sealed with o-rings
- Maximum humidity 100%
- Minimum operating temperature 0°C
- Internal temperature not to exceed 70°C as measured by internal diagnostic sensors
- Adequate forced-air cooling must be applied to ensure the internal operating temperature remains within specified limits
- Storage temperature -25°C to +85°C
- Vibration 100 to 1000Hz, all axes, 24 hours
- Vibration isolation is recommended
There could also be problem with wiring loom insulation that have caused Bruno Senna's back burs last year at Williams (Williams: "To confirm, Bruno's burns were due to a wiring loom seal coming loose in the seat allowing heat from back of car to escape").

Diosfenix
Diosfenix

Lamentable...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

C Plinius Secundus wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:Sorry if this has already been posted, but did anyone else notice a big inlet under the F138's nose when Pedro was driving?
It looks like a stingray mouth, sort of… :?
Ha! This was my first thought as well.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

C Plinius Secundus
C Plinius Secundus

F138 launch day at Maranello: no opening under the shark fin.

Jerez test, day 1: no opening under the shark fin.

Jerez test, day 3: they've cut an opening in the engine cover, right under the shark fin

Hail22

Another angle of the Sting ray mouth from F1SA:

Gilles Villeneuve

mclaren777

I wish I had access to the RAW file.