Sauber C32 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Huntresa

Re: Sauber C32 Ferrari

beelsebob wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Wow, good stuff sauber!

My theory about the airflow around the side pods being what took the exhaust gas down appears to be bollocks. Lovely to see some hard evidence.

I'd love to see what happens when the front wheels are turned too.
Well it has never actually been the flow over the sidepod that takes the gases down to the floor, it just helps it after the gases has formed to the tunnel and is going down and then unites with the sidepod flow, just like that italian dude says in the video on peter windsors channel.
Right, I know, my point was that I had an earlier theory that the sauber was designed to carry air from the undercut, up and around the side pod, and then over the exhaust to help with the problem some more. Looking at these pictures, it appears not to be the case.
Ah ok

shelly

turbof1 wrote:The head wind cfd image is extremely useful, showing the airflow dynamics over the complete car. Very nice find indeed.
I agree - the image is full of info. Just at a glance you can see:
-straight exhaust gas path to the zone between tyre and diffuser
-behaviour of the main fw vortices around the front tyres (chck thir direction with wing profiles support in any other fw photo)
-y250 vortices (see discussion between techf1les and @f1_aero on twitter)
- big vortex behind the front wheels (not clear to me if it is the y250 or the vortex of the front turning vanes below the nose)
-direction of the flow and of the top bargeboard vortex around the sidepod leading edge
-rw gills effect
-front cameras, middle camera and drs pod wake effect
-small vortex along the floor side edge

Probably looking at it better even more interesting details can be found
twitter: @armchair_aero

R_Redding

Its interesting to me how much energised air flow is behind the roll over hoop.

If Lotus do not use their passive ddrs ,then it seems to me that they may be fairly diasadvantaged by having to homologate those ugly ddrs ears into the tub and carry them when not in use.

Rob

shelly

The red streaks we are seeing behind the roll hoop ar probably just vorticity from the t-camera
twitter: @armchair_aero

Artur Craft

In this moment(when the wind is longitudinal to the car), we can see how the RW generates much more downforce than any other part on the the top surface of the car.

It's quite remarkable how much more pressure it have there compared to the pressure on FW

and I doubt this is something particular of C32 because their FW shouldn't generate much less downforce than any other as they have few slots there.

The slots on FW might help the flow keep attached and increase L/D but the overall downforce of the "less planes" is bigger. Ross Brawn once said in 2009 that the 2 planes FW on Brawn GP generated more downforce than the 3 plane one, although the 3 plane ones have it's advantadges

More about the car, rather than go further on this more generic debate, next race will be quite blatant in showing how C32 stands on mechanical grip. From some sector times in other circuits, this year, I got an impression that the car is not as bad as C30/C31 were on this side, albeit nothing spectacular either

If Monaco confirms this, I'll wonder if any change they possibly made to improve mech grip would've damaged the aerodynamics, as a side effect.

Huntresa

More planes on fw means more consistent df when turning for example, and other advantages

Owen.C93

That image shows pressure not downforce. The front wing will probably have a much lower pressure on the under surface due to the ground.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

stefan_

Monaco 2013 - Tuesday (21.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

That's early. And fully assembled. Promotional work?
#AeroFrodo

Artur Craft

Huntresa wrote:More planes on fw means more consistent df when turning for example, and other advantages
yeah. The peak df of the lower plane FW is bigger but the more slots indeed make the flow much more consistent through many conditions faced on track :wink:

@Owen, yes, I know that, and afaik, you're right. Due to FW being close to the ground, it should have a much lower pressure in it's the under side than the RW have on it's under side

Owen.C93

turbof1 wrote:That's early. And fully assembled. Promotional work?
Practice is a day early in Monaco.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

stefan_

Monaco 2013 - Wednesday (22.05.2013)

via AMuS

Monaco 2013 - Thursday (23.05.2013)

Canada 2013 - Wednesday (05.06.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_

Canada 2013 - Thursday (06.06.2013)

Forza

Canadian GP - Friday FP - 7/6/13

Last edited by Forza on 07 Jun 2013, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123

weird bulge under the nose
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender