Sauber C32 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_

Re: Sauber C32 Ferrari

India 2013 - Thursday (24.10.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Owen.C93

I like that the strake is an actual aerofoil shape. Should help turn the flow that's vectored upwards without affecting anything going to the floor.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Crucial_Xtreme

Sauber's Gamble Pays Off

via AutoSport

shelly

The pictures of the diffuser from theback highlight a very unusual shape of the transition between reference plane and floor at +50mm on the side: it seems concave instead of vertical with radii. Is tris a loophole? Is it used by other teams? Could be just a trick of perspective of course
twitter: @armchair_aero

horse

shelly wrote:The pictures of the diffuser from theback highlight a very unusual shape of the transition between reference plane and floor at +50mm on the side: it seems concave instead of vertical with radii. Is tris a loophole? Is it used by other teams? Could be just a trick of perspective of course
I think you're right. Here is McLaren and Sauber:

I can't see why there should be any issue with this in terms of the rules. Sauber are just taking space that would have been empty previously. What's it for? Controlling the inward expansion a little better?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

variante

shelly wrote:The pictures of the diffuser from theback highlight a very unusual shape of the transition between reference plane and floor at +50mm on the side: it seems concave instead of vertical with radii. Is tris a loophole? Is it used by other teams? Could be just a trick of perspective of course
It is a trick of perspective, probably caused by carbon fiber orientation and by the radius between the two perpendicular planes, not reflecting light, that goes down to 0 while approaching the diffuser.

Basically: Reference plane and Step plane must be linked by one (and only one) vertical surface; two radii are allowed to join the so formed perpendicular planes.
Relevant articles:
3.12.3 The surface lying on the reference plane must be joined around its periphery to the surfaces
lying on the step plane by a vertical transition. If there is no surface visible on the step plane
vertically above any point around the periphery of the reference plane, this transition is not
necessary.
3.12.4 The boundaries of the surfaces lying on the reference and step planes may be curved upwards
with maximum radii of 25mm and 50mm respectively. Where the vertical transition meets the
surfaces on the step plane a radius, no greater than 25mm, is permitted.
A radius in this context will be considered as an arc applied perpendicular to the boundary and
tangential to both surfaces.
The surface lying on the reference plane, the surfaces lying on the step plane, the vertical
transitions between them and any surfaces rearward of the surfaces lying on the reference or
step planes, must first be fully defined before any radius can be applied or the skid block
fitted. Any radius applied is still considered part of the relevant surface.

horse

variante wrote:It is a trick of perspective
Words speak louder than pictures in this case then! :)
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Hobbs04

Can't do photoshop here but can some one point out what exactly is concave?

Crucial_Xtreme

Sauber RW detail, you can see clearly the slots in the out 5cm

via Sutton

tony77g

GP Abu Dhabi: Thursday
Two Front Wing for Sauber,
High load e medium load (no update!)

shelly

http://i.imgur.com/IWJM0re.jpg
In this picture the shape is more clearly visible; probably it does not contrast with the rules because there is not convxuty, but only a narrower and then wider central section: this hourglass shape since its on a slope gives the trick of convex shape. Interestin that sauber couples this with two fins in the central 150mm, interacting also with the starter motro hole
twitter: @armchair_aero

cdsavage

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, it definitely isn't concave. It wouldn't comply with 3.12.4 (radius defined as being tangent to both surfaces). The radius can be variable though.

horse

Yes, I understand what shelly is discussing now and I have tried to draw it. This is what it looks like looking from the bottom up.

So, the transition ramp still has vertical sides, but it increases its width towards the very rear of the diffuser, which is unusual. It's interesting that they sacrifice some expansion space to do this. Perhaps there are gains for the central section of the diffuser gurney? Thats part of the idea of the bridged coanda, right?

cdsavage

Ah, thats not the area I thought you meant.

wesley123

The lay up of carbon give the illusion that that is happening. However, at the rear end the kick up merges into the normal diffuser shape, which gives this illusion
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender