Sauber C32 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Sauber C32 Ferrari

This is better then an undercut: no bodywork at all. Air can now freely flow to the back, almost unhindered.
#AeroFrodo

dren

Ferraripilot wrote:The step in laminar flow from the sidepod top to the exhaust system concerns me. Mclaren started their system somewhat like this last year but ultimately found as we can see with late 27 and now 28 that the transition of flow to the exhaust is about seemless ie. no step. It can also clearly be seen in the new Ferrari that the flow transition to the exhaust is minus any brakes.

The new Sauber's sidepods opted for what is essentially no undercut around the sidepods/floor area which causes that area to be slightly larger, and this packaging is probably why they could not further tighten the sidepod transition to the exhaust. I actually believe the exhaust almost looks like an afterthought with the way everything else around it is designed.

Sharp looking car otherwise.
I thought the same thing initially, but the sidepod is much tighter up top compared to how the Mclaren started last year. I think they may get more air flow to the exhaust now because nothing is there. The vortex off the flow conditioner wing goes straight to the exhaust, it doesn't have to travel along a sidepod. It's interesting to see this because last year's car had a very nice flowing ramp to the exhaust.
Honda!

dren

Morris from Sauber wrote:"Checo had quite a bad accident in Monaco a few years ago and when we got the car back and we saw the sidepod all squashed in, we thought 'I wonder if we could do that?'"

"The sidepods are a bold move, a bold design, but we are pretty confident.

"One of the huge challenges for us is in packaging all of the radiators and boxes. Like most things in Switzerland, we got it just in time!"

"We have a whole new braking system that we were developing last year," said Morris.

"In terms of the chassis, this is an area we've spent a lot of time and effort on to save weight. We've made some savings without compromising safety.

"The exhaust is not massively different to what we finished with last year, we just further enhanced it.

"The front wing is predominantly a carry-over from last year.

"One of the small regulation changes is an additional legality check on the front wing, so we've had to spend a lot of time changing the structure of the wing to be sure we pass that.

"That's something we spent a lot of time over the winter developing."

"Passive DRS is allowed, so this is an area that we're looking at developing through the course of winter testing," he said.
Honda!

lillschumi

I always thought Sauber do a good job with limited reasources. I think this car is the most radical of the ones presented. Not having undercut pods to the floor is really special in my mind, wonder what the thinking is with this. Clearly it´s going to be big hit or a big fail because i think it´s quite substanial change.

What is sure is that the car will have lower c.o.g, wonder if that was main purpose of the design or if there is some nica aero trick no one else have thought of.

dren

The sidepods join the floor where others have an undercut. The top part is squished in so tight that it does away with the undercut.
Honda!

Blackout

turbof1 wrote:
Blackout wrote:Dat sidepod

(was too lazy to edit the text)
:mrgreen:

A comparison (angles can be misleading)

PhantomPoster

Blackout wrote:

Especially impressive considering the C32 shot there is more zoomed in. Just comparing the gaps to those sideburn turning vanes shows how drastic this is.

lillschumi

dren wrote:The sidepods join the floor where others have an undercut. The top part is squished in so tight that it does away with the undercut.
I would be extremly impressed if this was the case so im sure it´s not. Other teams would have done the same if it was possible without compromise. It hink it´s just a diffrent way of distributing the components and they have placed more lower down.

beelsebob

To be clear, here's where I'm guessing their intended air flow is going:

shelly

The picture above is very interesting for me. as mclaren, also sauber have this year increased the size of the sidepod intake. In the mp4-28 I supposed it was related to a change in radiators position; sauber have indeed stated that they have made such a change.
The sidepod panels juction in sideview gives a rough estimate of their new position: inclined and forward.

It is a significant change: for years we were used to teams that year by year struggled to get smaller and smaller openings to minimise internal losses - now two of the teams with best aero resources go in the opposite direction.

Also worth noting that sauber last year shared with ferrari the unconventional vertical rad position and have for this year decided to change it
twitter: @armchair_aero

Yurasyk

Blackout wrote: A comparison (angles can be misleading)

Nice comparison. It looks like new sidepods are a bit wider at bottom and of course have fully revised cooling air inlets.

Sevach

Instead of undercut Sauber has an "overcut" very cool idea.

Owen.C93

They've moved some cooling to the roll hoop like McLaren which will help a bit. Most likely gearbox but could be KERS.
PhantomPoster wrote:
Blackout wrote:

[img]http://i16.servimg.com/u/f16/14/79/55/2 ... 10.jpg[img]

Especially impressive considering the C32 shot there is more zoomed in. Just comparing the gaps to those sideburn turning vanes shows how drastic this is.
Yeah that's insane how slim they've made them when you use the sidepod vanes to compare to other cars.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 02 Feb 2013, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

beelsebob

Sevach wrote:Instead of undercut Sauber has an "overcut" very cool idea.
Not instead of, as well as ;)