Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
emmepi27

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Another one B sides comparision :wink:

ps: also Ferrari and Mercedes's tires are on the same green line

tony77g

New and old spec. Japan and India

SectorOne

Gary is confusing me.
First it´s exhausts blowing the ducts, now it´s the diffuser.
But Red Bull use the exhaust gases and their sidepod design more effectively than any other team to 'seal' the diffuser and keep the airflow working through this under-floor area.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24659085
Actually the first time i read him say it´s for sealing the diffuser since 2011.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

gandharva

emmepi27 wrote:Another one B sides comparision :wink:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXcKtUxCUAAJwBA.jpg

ps: also Ferrari and Mercedes's tires are on the same green line
Great pic and shows where the RBR strenght does come from.

siskue2005

Look how tall the RBR and Merc's rear wing and beamy wing is >>> implying how much rake they are running and how much downfore they have at the back... no wonder they both are faster than the other two cars
Last edited by siskue2005 on 26 Oct 2013, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

siskue2005

SectorOne wrote:Gary is confusing me.
First it´s exhausts blowing the ducts, now it´s the diffuser.
But Red Bull use the exhaust gases and their sidepod design more effectively than any other team to 'seal' the diffuser and keep the airflow working through this under-floor area.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24659085
Actually the first time i read him say it´s for sealing the diffuser since 2011.
he is not a credible source...not reliable like scarbs etc

the RBR exhaust are there to seal the diffuser and thus allowing them to run higher rake(without stalling it) and effectively increasing their diffuser volume! Plus their front wing is closer to the ground than other (effect of higher rake) so simultaneous increase in rear and front downforce

Crucial_Xtreme

I didn't notice the horizontal strake on the nose in Japan, but it was there. Good look at it in India, as well as underside of FW

New brake duct shape?

Edit: Good look at the much speculated about RB9 T-Tray

seinfeld

whats with all the holes in the T tray? kinda weird??

Juzh

seinfeld wrote:whats with all the holes in the T tray? kinda weird??
Heat dissipation.

H2H
H2H

Excellent pictures, especially from the T-Tray which got not that much attention before. As it happens once the focus is on a certain feature the good quality pics are coming in thick and fast.

It has been quite some time that I looked at the details at the inside of the nose cone. Since when does the RB9 have the specific kind of lower S-duct following that l-box slot under the nose? A quick look shows that it is in this particular form should be present at least since Monza if we consider the opposite shape of the mounting area. Can somebody point me to a similar,earlier picture of the nose guts. I'm on holidays and the internet connection is terrible.

P.S: A great job by the guys on the track and is is good to see that some invest a considerable amount of time to make it easily accessible for all by uploading the pictures. =D>

gandharva

H2H wrote:Since when does the RB9 have the specific kind of lower S-duct following that l-box slot under the nose?
Day one. Got introduced by Sauber. Newey copied it.
http://technicalf1explained.blogspot.de ... -duct.html

turbof1

(thank xtreme) Incredible detailing underneath the front wing. long strakes close to the nose for straightening the airflow. Shorter strakes next to that being less spaced out to accelerate airflow underneath the wing to drop pressure, out strake having a small gap to allow the outer channel to bleed airflow to the second one... . That wing has 5 venturi tunnels on each side. Red Bull turned the front wing into a front diffuser.
#AeroFrodo

H2H
H2H

gandharva wrote:
H2H wrote:Since when does the RB9 have the specific kind of lower S-duct following that l-box slot under the nose?
Day one. Got introduced by Sauber. Newey copied it.
http://technicalf1explained.blogspot.de ... -duct.html
I know a fair bit about the S-duct, and this is why I wrote about a 'specific kind of lower S-duct'!

At the start of the season Scarbs depicted the inside of the nose in this way:

EDIT: Found a picture from a Melbourne spec nose

However if you look at the picture posted by Xtreme it seems that both the slots blow at least partly into the inside of the nose, possibly for some component cooling. The lower slot would still skim away the boundary airflow on the skin of under the nose and the upper slot would still get some airflow from below to manage the flow attachment.

Obviously it can also be just a change around the S-duct which gives a false impression. In any case it caught somehow my attention. Everybody can take a look of his own...

After the tests and the earlier races I never payed much attention to that area so I wanted to know if somebody had any specific pictures or memories about a potential change. :)

Thanks anyway for the quick answer :wink:

Yurasyk

Interesting black "flo-vis" at the bottom of endplates after making donuts.
(Haven't found better photos)

trinidefender

Yurasyk wrote:Interesting black "flo-vis" at the bottom of endplates after making donuts.
http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-v69t- ... _ind13.jpg
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MLJrd ... _ind13.jpg
(Haven't found better photos)
That isn't flowvis. That is a combination of carbon buildup from the exhaust. Very common when an engine runs rich. Probably also rubber particles sticking as well to the end plates. This is a shot in the race. They don't use flowvis during races.

Also looking at the angle that the deposits form and their placement it seems like the exhaust has some influence on the rear brake ducts. It appears that as well as RedBull using the exhaust to seal the diffuser some of the exhaust gasses are used to provide downforce directly to the wheel via the brake ducts