Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Juzh

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

It could have been there before, but by abu dhabi FW again visibly flexed. Not to the degree of 2011 but still enough to notice it.

gary123

Here's what was hiding in the Red Bull Racing T-Tray!
It is a "boomerang" carbon able to move the splitter with a programmed deformation
The secret was , but it was kept cleverly hidden throughout the season . Here's the design Effe 1 Tech Red Bull Racing that shows the detail that probably allowed the T -Tray of RB9 to rise to the top when the vertical load was applied to the splitter that was more than 200 kg . We say it now: This solution has been declared legal by the FIA ​​scrutineers that have occurred in the course of the 2013 season , why not broke any rules of the regulation, although perhaps not respected the spirit .

BOOMERANG CARBON What is it ? Of a sort of " boomerang " realized in composite materials that has been mounted between the skid -block and the T -Tray . Other teams at that point have adopted springs much easier because the bottom resist to audits by the FIA ( the maximum deflection of 5 mm with a load of 200 kg occurred at three points ) and avoided the " table " (which is no longer wood ) would break violently rubbing in the passage on the curbs .

HOW TO RAISE THE " NOSE " What was the point of the car multiple world champion kept an eye on throughout the season , because only by lifting the " beak " , while the car was moving , it was possible to obtain the lower ride height the splitter without ruining the skid -block on the asphalt ( the excessive consumption of the table, in fact, result in a disqualification ) .

THERE 'S ALSO SET- RAKE Thanks to Frick was possible to adopt the attitude beat ( the British call Rake ) with the front wing that almost touched the ground, while the latter was higher than 80 mm to increase the volume air in the loudspeaker that was sealed to the sides from the " miniskirt thermal " fruit of the effect of the exhaust blower .

A LOT OF SPECULATION IN THE YEAR During the world have made ​​a lot of speculation about how Adrian Newey could deflect the T -Tray according to a programmed deformation and studied with care the CFD . There has been talk of a mysterious mass damper effect and those who supported the existence of materials that could become deformed due to the heat. The shooting of a thermal imaging camera of the FIA, in fact, had shown that the splitter right in the RB9 a high temperature that is generated could allow the rod that connects the T -Tray to the body from collapsing , stretching , but without recording the expected consumption of the " shoe " which, however, would have justified the unusual increase of heat to the constant rubbing on the track.

THE THEORY OF GARY ANDERSON The theory put forth by Gary Anderson , a former dt of Jordan , was deemed credible by the technicians of the FIA ​​who proceeded to check out the Grand Prix of India if the T -Tray Red Bull Racing suffer a deformation once the rod was heated by a heat source , while it was subjected to the load provided by the legislature . It , however, did not happen nothing , leaving everyone stunned , because they promptly removed the doubts about legality of RB9 .

CLICK THE MYSTERIOUS At the last GP of Brazil, however , the piece that has remained " bundled " between the T -Tray and the skid block of Red Bull Racing was caught by a photographer who captured the moment in which decreased attention to the mechanics of Milton Keynes. And the massive " crossbow " carbon has not gone unnoticed : it is a particularly sizeable who is openly at odds with the style of Adrian Newey design , a fanatic of miniaturization of the individual elements of the car and that is always looking for maximum savings weight. In short, in F1 does not mount anything that does not have a direct effect on performance.

THE CROSSBOW RAISE THE FIRST PART OF THE SKID BLOCK ? What is the " spring " in carbon ? As a premise, it must be said that the " table" which is the bottom of the keel of the car must not be in one piece , but you can divide it into three parts. This choice was made to save rightly : you only replace the piece that shows the damage crawling on the curbs . The first piece , the one that includes the splitter must be at least 1000 mm . Adrian Newey seems to be able to rotate it by a few millimeters upwards in the front thanks to boomerang in composite materials that acts just like a spring but with little load. As you can see in the image that we publish the crossbow in about half the carbon is held by an interesting mounting system that allows a decrease determined before nailed . Indeed, to be more precise, it would perhaps be better to define the movement of the first piece of the skid block as a small rotation upwards.

THERE ARE OTHER SECRETS IN RB9 ? Interestingly , over all'arcuatura boomerang , also the delta shape of the front part : the English genius , in fact , is able to distribute the load over the entire width of the splitter , avoiding the deformations that could be generated by acting only in a point in this way we obtain a stability in the movement of the T -Tray enviable in the nerve-center of the car. It must be said that between the table and the bottom of the Red Bull Racing has entered a "skin" of a couple of millimeters that seems to kevlar. It may be helpful to close all the holes or as a thermal insulator. I wonder if it's all here and there 's still more hidden in RB9 ? Devil of a Newey ...
Source: http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/33275/ ... nel-t-tray
I translated with google translator I hope it is good :) Here omnicorse explains the secret of the T-tray of the RB9.

SiLo

Finally!
Felipe Baby!

Harsha
Harsha

I can say WOW.
How much of this knowledge can be used for 2014.

radosav
radosav

If it is true, will this ' device ' be banned!?
I mean it does lift T-tray ,even though in a passive way!

shelly
shelly

Fantastic spot by Piola - like when he caught the slots in merc fw at the end of 2011.

Firts thing that comes to my mind: are we sure that the bridge is carbon? Could be black black -inked fiberglass. The original photograph could maybe show the weave and help understand what is the role of theis "bridge". If it is glass could be just a fairing for domething inside (tension cables?)
twitter: @armchair_aero

Juzh

radosav wrote:If it is true, will this ' device ' be banned!?
No.

flynfrog

shelly wrote:Fantastic spot by Piola - like when he caught the slots in merc fw at the end of 2011.

Firts thing that comes to my mind: are we sure that the bridge is carbon? Could be black black -inked fiberglass. The original photograph could maybe show the weave and help understand what is the role of theis "bridge". If it is glass could be just a fairing for domething inside (tension cables?)
Why would they use black glass? With weight volume and stiffness being key for that part why would you use glass?

myurr
myurr

Juzh wrote:
radosav wrote:If it is true, will this ' device ' be banned!?
No.
If this is true then it is movable aero. Now before someone says "but it passes the tests", so did Lance Armstrong. But what he did despite passing the tests was still against the rules of the sport, and **IF** Red Bull are deliberately contravening the rules governing the flexibility of aero parts then it doesn't matter that they pass the tests or not - something that is explicitly enshrined in the rule themselves. This is why the FIA have the right to change the tests at any time, in any manner, and without having to notify the teams. That they have not historically done so has merely been due to their preference at the time for political / public image reasons rather than them because it was not an option for them.

Will the device be outright banned? Well the FIA have three options. They can let it stand and the other teams will need to copy it; they can outright ban it; or they can try to devise a test that makes it impractical. Of course this presumes that Red Bull even continue to use the device now that the blown diffuser has been removed which should make it much much harder to make the diffuser work with that much rake.

Juzh

I know all this, and if they do indeed ban it, i feel sorry for the fia and every other team on the grid. Over the last couple of years so many rules against RB were implemented it's strange really that they didn't ban IRBR all together :roll:

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Couldn't see anything on Sutton from Brazil. It's all sealed in the floor.

http://formula1.com/wi/enlarge/sutton/2 ... bra144.jpg

Anyway, isn't this what Scarbs wrote about? http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/10/14/a- ... -solution/

Note the footnote where he says Charlie told a team it would be illegal and the tests may be altered to reflect that.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

CBeck113
CBeck113

I don't know about anyone else, but I would really like to see this picture...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

shelly
shelly

@CBeck113: I would liek to see it too. I have seen that on Gazzetta dello Sport Piola has published a more detailed drawing; probably this week it will be published on Autosport too so it could give some better idea.

@flyinfrog: I think that you do not need such a massive structure in carbon to withstand the proof load - my idea is that the bridge is a flexible cover - that's why I think it is glass. If it is carbon, seeing the weave could give some hint anyway
twitter: @armchair_aero

flynfrog

shelly wrote:@CBeck113: I would liek to see it too. I have seen that on Gazzetta dello Sport Piola has published a more detailed drawing; probably this week it will be published on Autosport too so it could give some better idea.

@flyinfrog: I think that you do not need such a massive structure in carbon to withstand the proof load - my idea is that the bridge is a flexible cover - that's why I think it is glass. If it is carbon, seeing the weave could give some hint anyway
that doesn't really make much sense. If you want to to flex more use less carbon. They use carbon for the cosmetic body panels not glass.

CBeck113
CBeck113

Is it possible that "fiber glass" was just translated incorrectly?
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail