Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

blrdy
blrdy

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (pre-launch speculation)

wow,if you ask me,merc still trying not to copy any team,and do there thing.but last year showed,they got no cool moves,to compensate for the others cool moves.very disapointed with merc.hamilton better get realy rich,or this worst move of his life.i meen,the car so basic,not like the new ferrari or sauber.the merc already looks slow as

oh,and the nose looks worse than ferraris last year :D

beelsebob
beelsebob

Okay, so it looks like they do have a super tiny gearbox after all, they're just using it differently to williams – they're making effectively a double floor at the back of the car, rather than sticking it right down low, and messing about with severely angled drive shafts.

I wonder what that'll do to CoG.

SSS
SSS

Car looks Crap. If Marussia had a better engine, KERS and budget, I'd bet on it to beat this.

I see Mercedes beating Carteham & Marussia and competing with Force India,Toro Rosso and Williams.

No way this car can match Ferrari, Red Bull, Lotus, Mclaren and the super looking Sauber.

It will be tough getting this car into Q3.

This looks like a crude,cheap copy of W03. Horrible, --- looking car. I wonder what Hamilton will feel if he does not even make Q2 in the 1st race.

I can understand why MSC left. It's hopeless. It is a poor version/marginally improved version of a pretty bad car and Mercedes were horrible with in-season developent.

I hate what they have done with the bulky nose, the same crude sidepods and the lame exhausts they have. Still cant get Coanda right

techF1LES

Not sure if you guys discussed it already, but anyway interesting detail - vane protruding from the bottom of the rear wing mainplane.

Maybe preparation for passive DRD, or some additional winglets, or...

Last edited by techF1LES on 04 Feb 2013, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

Looks like a fighter!
8)
Nothing wrong with it.
Nothing overly spectacular either, but it's ticking all the boxes.

It has the ferrari sidepods, and ferrari returned with those, so there is a very good reason to have the narrow and high pods.
It looks somewhat like the 2011 mclaren sidepods too, so i'm not sure what kinda effect they want but there is really change after the last 3 years.
The front looks ok. The tiny brake duct holes are amazazing. The undercut round the back is also very opened up, not as clean as redbull but its good.

One thing though, is that the cooling exit round the back is a bit close to the difffuser, a bit low if you ask me.
Doesn't look all that good with the suspension parts passing through.
I'm sure they can remedy this later.

New front wing is a blessing. :lol: Guess it's time to see how fast she goes!
For Sure!!

Nando
Nando

And things get even weirder. Any idea why they would create a bend like that below the exhaust housing?
Look at the strip of light, it´s like an air-pocket.

Edit: could there be a hole in the "roof" of that area maybe?
Last edited by Nando on 04 Feb 2013, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

silversurf3r

Here's a clip of Nico during his shakedown of the car this morning.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X18h_y8cqZo

diego1960

beelsebob wrote:Image
This looks awful compared to McLaren's approach. The holes that are larger than expected, roughly cut and not well defined. In general in this pic, the back of the car looks less refined and more bulky. I expect some black heat resistant areas to cover the back end of the exhaust and gearbox in the coming days.

Last edited by diego1960 on 04 Feb 2013, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Blackout

Large and drooping Bodywork/hot air exits around the gearbox reminds me of the superb and fast R29 (before lifting)

http://download.ultradownloads.com.br/w ... 0x1200.jpg

Huntresa
Huntresa

Nando wrote:And things get even weirder. Any idea why they would create a bend like that below the exhaust housing?

That looks like a tunnel down to the starter hole ?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Nando wrote:And things get even weirder. Any idea why they would create a bend like that below the exhaust housing?

Very strange. Don't have a clue what they're up to, need to see more pictures.

Huntresa
Huntresa

That pic, the edge of the sidepod does go down, correct ? As in a dip or bulge upside down,.

gibells
gibells

beelsebob wrote: Okay, so it looks like they do have a super tiny gearbox after all, they're just using it differently to williams – they're making effectively a double floor at the back of the car, rather than sticking it right down low, and messing about with severely angled drive shafts.

I wonder what that'll do to CoG.
In my mind this gearbox arrangement allows them the most scope to play around with floors, outlets and cooling routes. Very nicely done. Even if this present iteration looks a little clumpy.

Still, they're not here to win beauty contests, just races.

Nando
Nando

That floor does not look very flat from the exhaust tip and out wards.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."