Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mika1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (pre-launch speculation)

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1
Mercedes W04: tidied nose, coanda pods, pushrod front susp, revised roll hoop & vanes on the splitter
The boss follows me on twitter.

KeiKo403

What is this? The normal sidepod 'cooling fan thing' fit's the entire shape and size of the opening doesn't it?
This looks like the brake duck blower, i.e, smaller! What would this be cooling?

scarbs

KeiKo403 wrote: What is this? The normal sidepod 'cooling fan thing' fit's the entire shape and size of the opening doesn't it?
This looks like the brake duck blower, i.e, smaller! What would this be cooling?
That fan feeds a duct that curved around to cool the SECU

Huntresa

elf341 wrote:It really does not look very different to W03 final spec. Are the sidepods even changed?

I'm hoping that they have a frong wing upgrade - still sporting BGP-style endplates.
You do realize they had a new Fw last year with new endplates ?

Hail22

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that nose was very low to the tarmac...looked as if it was going to scrape!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

matt_b

Maybe they will have a heavily updated version for the final test like Red Bull last year, perhaps this first test is to try and get on top of the coanda and other issues.

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Coefficient

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

Doesn't look good enough to me!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Hail22

Anyone else notice a thin piece of CF connecting from the Monkey seat to the underside of the RW bucket?

What would this be for?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

stefan_

via Matt Somerfield ‏@SomersF1 / Sutton
Last edited by stefan_ on 04 Feb 2013, 13:12, edited 3 times in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

gray41

Yeah i noticed that, at the minute I'm assuming its something to do with the filming?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

elf341

Huntresa wrote:
elf341 wrote:It really does not look very different to W03 final spec. Are the sidepods even changed?

I'm hoping that they have a frong wing upgrade - still sporting BGP-style endplates.
You do realize they had a new Fw last year with new endplates ?
Ah having checked just now you're right about the new 2012 endplates. For some strange reason I thought they were essentially unchanged. Certainly, they had been for near-on three years:

BGP001
W01
W02
F1 W03

Hail22

What would be the benefit/point of that small thin piece of Carbon fibre that connects the Monkey seat to the Rear wings lower bucket?
Last edited by Hail22 on 04 Feb 2013, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

Gilles Villeneuve

elf341

The extra opening in the roll hoop for gear-box cooling is gone?

DAMNINice

When people say that you can follow the lines of the RedBull like the air is...
Adrian Newey is "feeling" the path of the air and he can design it that way..

From the looks of it... it seems like all the designers at Merc felt was the pain in the ass from the last seasons results...

This thing looks ugly... But well... we can still hope for a good pace!
Last edited by DAMNINice on 04 Feb 2013, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
REal men play with twins!