Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diego.liv
diego.liv

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

Thanks for the pics, can you tell us the source?

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

khaliweed
khaliweed

Lewis Hamilton spoke to the media during the lunch hour and here's a couple of choice quotes. Firstly, summing up the strengths and weaknesses of his new Mercedes, Lewis said: “The engine is the strongest point, the downforce is the weakest point. Nice and easy.”

He also set out the team’s target in terms of performance. “I think that people are talking us up at the moment. Vettel and Fernando are saying that we’re going to compete for the World Championship. I really don’t see that happening. Of course that’s our goal, but you’ve got to remember the car was over a second, sometimes two seconds, off last year. We haven’t caught two seconds up and the other teams would have put another second on this year, so we’ve not gained three seconds. That’s just a fact.

“Hopefully by the end of the year, we’ll have gained three seconds – that’s our goal. But definitely not at the beginning.” Hamilton added that he is targeting top ten finishes in the early races.
what do you think?

kooleracer
kooleracer

khaliweed wrote:
Lewis Hamilton spoke to the media during the lunch hour and here's a couple of choice quotes. Firstly, summing up the strengths and weaknesses of his new Mercedes, Lewis said: “The engine is the strongest point, the downforce is the weakest point. Nice and easy.”

He also set out the team’s target in terms of performance. “I think that people are talking us up at the moment. Vettel and Fernando are saying that we’re going to compete for the World Championship. I really don’t see that happening. Of course that’s our goal, but you’ve got to remember the car was over a second, sometimes two seconds, off last year. We haven’t caught two seconds up and the other teams would have put another second on this year, so we’ve not gained three seconds. That’s just a fact.

“Hopefully by the end of the year, we’ll have gained three seconds – that’s our goal. But definitely not at the beginning.” Hamilton added that he is targeting top ten finishes in the early races.
what do you think?
I Think he is realistic. But I dont think that RBR, McLaren,Ferrari and Lotus found 1 sec during the winter period. As Horner said with his ''Diminishing returns'' saying. The rules have stabalised so the gains to make a small over this period. I think the top 4 would have gaind at best 0.5s. On the other hand mercedes could make massive gains. Coanda, DF, mechnical, 60% model etc. Mercedes could be as close as 0.5 from the top 4 in my eyes.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

khaliweed
khaliweed

just a quick question: what factors could contribute to more downforce on an F1 car? I just think of the FW

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

flattyre
flattyre

khaliweed wrote:just a quick question: what factors could contribute to more downforce on an F1 car? I just think of the FW
Anywhere that air flows could be used to generate downforce by altering the shape of the body. That is the engineer's job - to find ways to havest that downforce without making a negative impact in other areas (most commonly drag, or packaging of the car internals).

I think you'll find that the front wing, rear wing, and diffusor are the areas where the most downforce is generated, though.

shamikaze
shamikaze

khaliweed wrote:just a quick question: what factors could contribute to more downforce on an F1 car? I just think of the FW
List is very long, but here is as start anyway : Front-wing, high/low nose, diffusor, Rear-wing, exhaust, side-pod's, turning-vanes, DRS, Rear-wing strakes, starter-hole, front- and rear suspension-geometry, rear-bodywork, .........

As mentioned 1 post above, any item that has airflow going across it. The trick is to generate more downforce then you add drag by applying the new shape. Exhaust-layout is so darn interesting since it comes at zero drag penalty and it enhances the effectiveness of the diffusor (as mentioned before, the diffusor is one of the main components contributing to the generation of DF).

Mika1
Mika1

Exhaust solution, FW/RW.
The boss follows me on twitter.

khaliweed
khaliweed

shamikaze wrote:
List is very long, but here is as start anyway : Front-wing, high/low nose, diffusor, Rear-wing, exhaust, side-pod's, turning-vanes, DRS, Rear-wing strakes, starter-hole, .........
Thank you Shamikaze. I wish the Merc could try a different nose like Williams.

stfn_ger
stfn_ger

khaliweed wrote: Thank you Shamikaze. I wish the Merc could try a different nose like Williams.
I think they know better than we do what to try and what not. Remember every change also affects the entire rest of the car. Especially the nose and frontwing as the first parts getting in touch with the surrounding air are vital parts of the whole concept since it influences the airflow to the diffusor, sidepods, rear wing etc, so its not just like "put a williams nose on it and gain 0.2 secs"

khaliweed
khaliweed

stfn_ger wrote:
khaliweed wrote: Thank you Shamikaze. I wish the Merc could try a different nose like Williams.
I think they know better than we do what to try and what not. Remember every change also affects the entire rest of the car. Especially the nose and frontwing as the first parts getting in touch with the surrounding air are vital parts of the whole concept since it influences the airflow to the diffusor, sidepods, rear wing etc, so its not just like "put a williams nose on it and gain 0.2 secs"
LOL.. you misunderstood me. I meant trying the stepped nose and the Mclaren type nose. But as you said, they are in a better position to know what they are doing. 8)

stfn_ger
stfn_ger

khaliweed wrote: LOL.. you misunderstood me. I meant trying the stepped nose and the Mclaren type nose. But as you said, they are in a better position to know what they are doing. 8)
Allright, sorry for that. I think they will at least have simulation data for different nose-concepts. So maybe they simply dont expect any big impact on the car compared to the effort and time it takes to test it out.

Btw, what's up with those little winglets right at the rear mirrors ? Given the shape they seem to produce lift / guide the airflow downwards either into the sidepod-openings or to the top of the sidepod. Maybe cooling problems or difficulties to attatch the airflow to the top surface of the sidepods ? I can't figure out any purpose that doesn't indicate that something isn't working as expected, do you ?

khaliweed
khaliweed

stfn_ger wrote:
khaliweed wrote: LOL.. you misunderstood me. I meant trying the stepped nose and the Mclaren type nose. But as you said, they are in a better position to know what they are doing. 8)
Allright, sorry for that. I think they will at least have simulation data for different nose-concepts. So maybe they simply dont expect any big impact on the car compared to the effort and time it takes to test it out.

Btw, what's up with those little winglets right at the rear mirrors ? Given the shape they seem to produce lift / guide the airflow downwards either into the sidepod-openings or to the top of the sidepod. Maybe cooling problems or difficulties to attatch the airflow to the top surface of the sidepods ? I can't figure out any purpose that doesn't indicate that something isn't working as expected, do you ?

Frankly I have no idea what job they are doing over there. Maybe someone else on the forum knows!

gray41

Merc not bothered about wet weather data?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***