Marussia MR02 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
LotusF1
0
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:08 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by LotusF1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:17 pm

marussia ahead of caterham by quite a margin...and this time they wont need luck to beat them :D

CottrellGP
4
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:48 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by CottrellGP » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:37 pm

Im glad Marussia beat Caterham, there car is simple with a lot of room for development! :D
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Forza
272
User avatar
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Forza » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:16 am

F1 Malaysian GP - Thursday - 21/3/2013

Image
ImageImageImageImage
Image

Polarbear
0
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Polarbear » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:50 pm

The pictures which have the two wings one on top of the other - the FWEP detail is different in the two wings.

One has a 90 degree angle in the top corner, the other appears to have had the corner chopped off.

Thoughts?

turbof1
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by turbof1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Polarbear wrote:The pictures which have the two wings one on top of the other - the FWEP detail is different in the two wings.

One has a 90 degree angle in the top corner, the other appears to have had the corner chopped off.

Thoughts?
They are actually 2 completely different wings. Look at the vertical strakes, the flaps and the curves in the main planes at the endplates.

Looking back at previous pictures they also tried out both of them in Melbourne. Judging from the "picture time" each wing got, I dare say they ran the top one there. It generally looks much more developed and seems to manage the airflow better.
#AeroFrodo

Forza
272
User avatar
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Forza » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:46 am

F1 Malaysian GP - Friday FP - 22/3/2013
Image

CottrellGP
4
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:48 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by CottrellGP » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Forza wrote:F1 Malaysian GP - Friday FP - 22/3/2013
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Max ... 671374.jpg
Is that the launch spec airbox/cooling vent? or is it new?
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Cuky
58
User avatar
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:41 pm
Location: Rab, Croatia

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Cuky » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:52 pm

yep, that is launch one. One used in Melbourne is shorter and because of that has large white fin to comply with rules

Huntresa
54
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Huntresa » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Not far behind bottas, this is looking good

miguelalvesreis
16
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by miguelalvesreis » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Huntresa wrote:Not far behind bottas, this is looking good
Not to Bottas!!

LotusF1
0
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:08 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by LotusF1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 am

the marussia has more downforce than the caterham. now who were the geniuses that called this car simple/elementary? :D

Coefficient
17
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:29 pm
Location: North West - UK

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Coefficient » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 am

To be fair, Caterham have only spent about a fiver remodelling last years car for this year because they have long stated that they are throwing everything at the 2014 car. John Iley (ex Mclaren head of Aero) is currently beavering away at Leafield on the design of next years car so I fully expect Caterham to trounce Marussia next year.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

beelsebob
179
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm
Location: Cupertino, California

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by beelsebob » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:18 pm

LotusF1 wrote:the marussia has more downforce than the caterham. now who were the geniuses that called this car simple/elementary? :D
It is simple. Just people still don't understand that complex does not mean good.

Coefficient
17
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:29 pm
Location: North West - UK

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Coefficient » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:59 pm

beelsebob wrote:
LotusF1 wrote:the marussia has more downforce than the caterham. now who were the geniuses that called this car simple/elementary? :D
It is simple. Just people still don't understand that complex does not mean good.
Lots of aero detail can me 2 things.

1. The basic concept is flawed or sub-optimal so lots of appendages are required to re-condition the flow.

2. The car's flow characteristics are very well understood, it's working well and gains can be found by augmenting the flow with detail changes. (Red Bull)
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

CottrellGP
4
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:48 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by CottrellGP » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 am

Coefficient wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
LotusF1 wrote:the marussia has more downforce than the caterham. now who were the geniuses that called this car simple/elementary? :D
It is simple. Just people still don't understand that complex does not mean good.
Lots of aero detail can me 2 things.

1. The basic concept is flawed or sub-optimal so lots of appendages are required to re-condition the flow.

2. The car's flow characteristics are very well understood, it's working well and gains can be found by augmenting the flow with detail changes. (Red Bull)
Perfect example!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!