Marussia MR02 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LotusF1

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

marussia ahead of caterham by quite a margin...and this time they wont need luck to beat them :D

CottrellGP

Im glad Marussia beat Caterham, there car is simple with a lot of room for development! :D
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Forza

F1 Malaysian GP - Thursday - 21/3/2013

ImageImageImageImage

Polarbear

The pictures which have the two wings one on top of the other - the FWEP detail is different in the two wings.

One has a 90 degree angle in the top corner, the other appears to have had the corner chopped off.

Thoughts?

turbof1

Polarbear wrote:The pictures which have the two wings one on top of the other - the FWEP detail is different in the two wings.

One has a 90 degree angle in the top corner, the other appears to have had the corner chopped off.

Thoughts?
They are actually 2 completely different wings. Look at the vertical strakes, the flaps and the curves in the main planes at the endplates.

Looking back at previous pictures they also tried out both of them in Melbourne. Judging from the "picture time" each wing got, I dare say they ran the top one there. It generally looks much more developed and seems to manage the airflow better.
#AeroFrodo

Forza

F1 Malaysian GP - Friday FP - 22/3/2013

CottrellGP

Forza wrote:F1 Malaysian GP - Friday FP - 22/3/2013
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Max ... 671374.jpg
Is that the launch spec airbox/cooling vent? or is it new?
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Cuky

yep, that is launch one. One used in Melbourne is shorter and because of that has large white fin to comply with rules

Huntresa

Not far behind bottas, this is looking good

miguelalvesreis

Huntresa wrote:Not far behind bottas, this is looking good
Not to Bottas!!

LotusF1

the marussia has more downforce than the caterham. now who were the geniuses that called this car simple/elementary? :D

Coefficient

To be fair, Caterham have only spent about a fiver remodelling last years car for this year because they have long stated that they are throwing everything at the 2014 car. John Iley (ex Mclaren head of Aero) is currently beavering away at Leafield on the design of next years car so I fully expect Caterham to trounce Marussia next year.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

beelsebob

LotusF1 wrote:the marussia has more downforce than the caterham. now who were the geniuses that called this car simple/elementary? :D
It is simple. Just people still don't understand that complex does not mean good.

Coefficient

beelsebob wrote:
LotusF1 wrote:the marussia has more downforce than the caterham. now who were the geniuses that called this car simple/elementary? :D
It is simple. Just people still don't understand that complex does not mean good.
Lots of aero detail can me 2 things.

1. The basic concept is flawed or sub-optimal so lots of appendages are required to re-condition the flow.

2. The car's flow characteristics are very well understood, it's working well and gains can be found by augmenting the flow with detail changes. (Red Bull)
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

CottrellGP

Coefficient wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Lots of aero detail can me 2 things.

1. The basic concept is flawed or sub-optimal so lots of appendages are required to re-condition the flow.

2. The car's flow characteristics are very well understood, it's working well and gains can be found by augmenting the flow with detail changes. (Red Bull)
Perfect example!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!