Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

xDama
xDama

Looks solid, but damn, that nose is ugly and fat. The entire car is so slim and elegant, and then such a big nose...
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

zoro_f1

where in the hell they put their gearbox!? =D> :lol:

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

f1316
f1316

A hint of the Fw26's "no nose" philosophy perhaps ;)

Coefficient
Coefficient

sriraj1031 wrote:
Coefficient wrote:=D> =D> =D>

Well done Mike Coughlan and chums!! I think this car is going to be a thorn in the side of Mercedes and Lotus this year! Maybe cause the odd headache for Mclaren, Red Bull and Ferrari too! The rear end is just amazing, so much wide open space! The gearbox must be off a Moto2 bike or something!

If Pastor and Valterri can keep it together this year Williams could be in for something of a renaissance!!

Guess its too early for that kinda conclusion, Mercedes and lotus may be top 2 teams this year who knows!!
Ok, I know you're right but somehow I can't see Mclaren and Red Bull being knocked off the top and I'm being optimistic that the Williams will be in amongst the best of the rest! The car looks superb, beautifully engineered, sleek, neat and tidy and ticks all the design boxes for performance in terms of current thinking in F1. I'm a Mclaren man but Williams also hold a special place in my racebrain so please forgive me my initial excitement. LOL!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

DarkJRO

zoro_f1 wrote:where in the hell they put their gearbox!? =D> :lol:

Maybe it has FWD? ^^ ... okay, bad joke i know, but this is a huge amount of free space in the back. looks like they have created even more since last year.
Greetings
Dark JRO

roadie

=D>

Thumbs up from me. An evolution, but certainly an interesting one!

There are huge differences between the front and rear wheel nuts - I wonder why that is?

turbof1

Not so suprising that the nose looks almost identical to the ferrari one. They both pushed nose height, space between FW pylons and their width to the limit what the rules allow. If you do that then you can only have very little variation between noses. Sidepods are remarkably much more undercut then the ferrari one; also space behind the coke bottle has much more volume then the ferrari. I dare say concerning packaging this car is better then the ferrari (overall that is of course a different question).
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

roadie wrote:=D>

Thumbs up from me. An evolution, but certainly an interesting one!

There are huge differences between the front and rear wheel nuts - I wonder why that is?
Probably related to tyre width and the fact that front tyres are raked. Perhaps it might also be that either the front or rear tyres take a bit more time to mount then the opposite ones, and thus they might have chosen for a different wheel nut for that opposite tyre that although is a bit slower, will have a higher chance to be safely attached. Due the other tyres take a bit longer to attach anyway, this slower attachment system does not end up in time loss.
Last edited by turbof1 on 19 Feb 2013, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

FW17

where are the side pod exits?

Forza

F1 test T02 - Barcelona - Day 1

Last edited by Forza on 19 Feb 2013, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

roadie

Ah so they have a slit in the exhaust bridge!

More high res shots and quotes here.

http://f1.f-e-n.net/index.php/url88315

DarkJRO

Has anyone seen these two "fins" on the exaust?

Foto by AMUS
Greetings
Dark JRO

Shakeman

Interesting exhaust detail not unlike Caterham's approach. Williams with their back end treatment and Sauber with their side pods should be applauded for trying something different and not just cloning the cars in front. Good on 'em.

Would love to see FW at the front again.

Sevach
Sevach

Lots of interesting novelties.

"Ferrari" nose and supports, new FW, the engine cover seems even more tightly wrapped around the engine in the 35 (more organic lines), the rear wing support/rear suspension mount seems more aero shaped, coanda exhaust with a trick.

They also went with seamlessly placed middle funnel plus gills for cooling, very different arrangement from the FW34 that placed it's hot air exits down low, next to the gearbox.