Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
andrewf1

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

that back end looks just wicked!

turbof1

DarkJRO wrote:Has anyone seen these two "fins" on the exaust?

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Pas ... 662077.jpg
Foto by AMUS
Very interesting. It gives an idea how well they are able to bend the exhaust flow back down. I think we can expect further development on that. They probably want to get the exhaust flow back into fully (except for the slit) enclosed bodywork to make sure it keeps concentrated.
#AeroFrodo

Mestrades

This back ends is amazing. I do not know why, but surely they are skimming the edge of legality in some aspect.

StrikeForceF1

looks like a very nice package.....the keel area does seem large.....anyone else see that??

rkn

Is that single-keel on the front suspension? Otherwise nice and neat car with plenty of detail, hope it's as quick as it looks.

roadie

Cheeky little central air exit at the rear of the engine cover here. Not a full on tunnel like RBR's...

zoro_f1

williams are hiding something behind the wheel nut? Image

edit >> and now there is an open whole. is this correct with the regulations?

Last edited by zoro_f1 on 19 Feb 2013, 12:51, edited 2 times in total.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Coefficient

zoro_f1 wrote:williams are hiding something behind the wheel nut? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/icq/scratch_one-s_head.gif

http://i50.tinypic.com/zl4qxt.jpg
Are they not just expirimenting with a hub design that retains the nut during wheel changes like Mclaren and others introduced last year? I was thinking that they're testing the design on the front axle and if they feel it brings performance to the pit stops they'll introduce it at the rear too.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Coefficient

rkn wrote:Is that single-keel on the front suspension? Otherwise nice and neat car with plenty of detail, hope it's as quick as it looks.
I don't think there has been a "keel" on an F1 car for a few years now. I think what you're seeing is a Newey style Anemometer hanging beneath the monocoque to take measurements during testing. Mclaren had one hanging from the 28 at the launch too, they're pretty popular in testing.

Vanja #66

If that slit is legal, why not go nuts with it? Why not combine that type of slitted bridge with the RB ramp and lead it all the way down? I'm in a hurry, picture was done in about 1 minute in Paint, I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say... Full red lines represent outer shape of my imaginary ramp, dots represent invisible part of it. Blue dots represent bigger opening for Coanda effect. My only question is - would there be Coanda effect with this type of ramp, does it need to be fully exposed?

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

turbof1

Vanja #66 wrote:If that slit is legal, why not go nuts with it? Why not combine that type of slitted bridge with the RB ramp and lead it all the way down? I'm in a hurry, picture was done in about 1 minute in Paint, I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say... Full red lines represent outer shape of my imaginary ramp, dots represent invisible part of it. Blue dots represent bigger opening for Coanda effect. My only question is - would there be Coanda effect with this type of ramp, does it need to be fully exposed?

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1212 ... lliams.jpg
There would be a coanda effect. I think they refrain from going RB ramp because it deprives the diffuser from the airflow that comes around the sidepod. Still, they can extend the bridge a bit more further down, something I think we will see further down the road.

I think the slit makes the whole concept legal. It can't be fully enclosed, so they apply the same solution as for holes in the floor.

This kind of reminds me of Adrian Newey's pre-testing banned concept of blowing the brake ducts from last year.
Last edited by turbof1 on 19 Feb 2013, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

beelsebob

Vanja #66 wrote:If that slit is legal, why not go nuts with it? Why not combine that type of slitted bridge with the RB ramp and lead it all the way down? I'm in a hurry, picture was done in about 1 minute in Paint, I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say... Full red lines represent outer shape of my imaginary ramp, dots represent invisible part of it. Blue dots represent bigger opening for Coanda effect. My only question is - would there be Coanda effect with this type of ramp, does it need to be fully exposed?
Because bodywork that re captures the exhaust gasses is not legal. They're flying as close to that regulation as they dare.

turbof1

beelsebob wrote:
Because bodywork that re captures the exhaust gasses is not legal. They're flying as close to that regulation as they dare.
If I remember it was not legal in an imaginary extended cone from the exhaust exit. They comply with that.
#AeroFrodo

Coefficient

turbof1 wrote:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1212 ... lliams.jpg
There would be a coanda effect. I think they refrain from going RB ramp because it deprives the diffuser from the airflow that comes around the sidepod. Still, they can extend the bridge a bit more further down, something I think we will see further down the road.

I think the slit makes the whole concept legal. It can't be fully enclosed, so they apply the same solution as for holes in the floor.

This kind of reminds me of Adrian Newey's pre-testing banned concept of blowing the brake ducts from last year.
Using bodywork of any type to re-ingest the exhaust gases is illegal so I think we may see tweaks in this area but I'm not sure they have plans to stick a dyson between the exhaust pod and the diffuser. Why go to the trouble of engineering that tiny rear end just to stick a lump of carbon in the way of it, unless there is a net gain of course.

I'd like to see Williams enclose the half shaft and the track rods into the lower wishbones and use them as the top deck of an upper diffuser like RB and Mclaren!