Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
King Six

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

The half way odd shaped nose like the Ferrari, it has something to do with the fact that they're using the vanity panel to maximise the space underneath right? But they probably can't directly attach the front wing pylons to the vanity panel, so they have to do some weird stuff underneath to still have it attached to the stronger 'actual' nose cone whilst maximising space. That's my guess.

Markus

This is not relevant but I think the nose kinda looks like a Ford Mustang with the colors and shape.
Probably just me noticing but kinda fun.

FW17

Coefficient wrote: I'd like to see Williams enclose the half shaft and the track rods into the lower wishbones and use them as the top deck of an upper diffuser like RB and Mclaren!

What is a track rod?

Coefficient

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Coefficient wrote: I'd like to see Williams enclose the half shaft and the track rods into the lower wishbones and use them as the top deck of an upper diffuser like RB and Mclaren!

What is a track rod?
Its the rod that allows them to adjust the camber of the wheel.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

imightbewrong

Coefficient wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:

What is a track rod?
Just a question, isn't it the toe it adjusts? Or have I misunderstood it?

Sevach

Gary Anderson's view:

"The new Williams appears to be a good step forward over last year's car.

"There is a lot of good detail work on it. On the front wing, they have eased back on some of the very complex detail of the vortex generators around the endplates, which last year was probably too detailed. And in general it looks like a sound downforce-producing package.

"The front wing pillars have been moved forward, so they lean back towards the front wing. That's a good idea - it gives the airflow coming off the pillars more time to settle down before it gets to the turning vanes under the chassis.

"The downforce-producing devices on the front brake ducts are very detailed and the sidepods are very well undercut.

"Their ultra-low gearbox means there is very little airflow blockage at the rear of the car. There is just a lot of very good basic engineering on it and I would expect that they have made significant progress."

FW17

Coefficient wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:

What is a track rod?

There is a upper wish bone, lower wish bone, pull/push rod and the drive shaft (similar to front where a steering rod replaces the drive shaft).

Is there an additional element just to adjust camber at the rear?

Coefficient

imightbewrong wrote:

Just a question, isn't it the toe it adjusts? Or have I misunderstood it?
Its a component that is used for either or both depending on the upright detail.

Coefficient

WilliamsF1 wrote:
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/Imag ... 1_2009.gif

There is a upper wish bone, lower wish bone, pull/push rod and the drive shaft (similar to front where a steering rod replaces the drive shaft).

Is there an additional element just to adjust camber at the rear?
The track rod is there, they have been concealed in the lower wishbones for quite a while by most teams though so not visible here. They tend to fail quite a bit as teams want to make them too skinny.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/9948

http://blogs.bettor.com/Rear-track-rod- ... ws-a131211

Forza

Last edited by Forza on 19 Feb 2013, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

snorri788

Forza wrote: Image
That rear end is so low and compact it's almost scary. That's some unbelievable engineering!

Have Williams gone the way of Red Bull/McLaren etc. by covering the driveshaft in the rear wishbone? Or is that not possible with the gearbox being so low? I remember the 2011 car had a very low gearbox giving a massive driveshaft angle.

onewingedangel

Driveshaft exposed in the 4th picture Forza posed above.

FW17

snorri788 wrote:Have Williams gone the way of Red Bull/McLaren etc. by covering the driveshaft in the rear wishbone? Or is that not possible with the gearbox being so low? I remember the 2011 car had a very low gearbox giving a massive driveshaft angle.
Williams used that on the fw16

Coefficient

WilliamsF1 wrote:
snorri788 wrote:Have Williams gone the way of Red Bull/McLaren etc. by covering the driveshaft in the rear wishbone? Or is that not possible with the gearbox being so low? I remember the 2011 car had a very low gearbox giving a massive driveshaft angle.
Williams used that on the fw16

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/DSC_0255.jpg
That's a great picture, thanks for sharing it! Have you seen the one on the MP4 28 or the RB9 yet? It's huge like a wing just like the one in your picture but they apply the concept to the lower wishbone due to the modern geometry of the transmissions.