Force India VJM07 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Manoah2u

Re: Force India VJM07 Pre-launch Speculation

no not official at all. a fanboy photoshop. its not on any official website. :roll: #-o
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

theWPTformula

The image is from 2012. Here's the interview on pitpass.com - http://www.pitpass.com/45534/QA-with-Pa ... Hulkenberg

theWPTformula

Thanks for posting it up on here, Kiril, I was meant to when I first released it. FYI, this drawing is based on a picture of the VJM07 wind tunnel model. The picture it is based on was taken in July, so a lot might have changed since then. The front and rear portions of the car were visible, but the middle section was blocked my a computer monitor. The image was pretty grainy as well, so I couldn't make out all of the details.

When I first got hold of the image I couldn't really figure out what was going on with the nose, and neither could the person who sent it to me. Then last month I had a look back at it, and - after all the media hype about "finger" noses - it was clear what they were trying to achieve.

Personally I was more interested in what they were doing at the rear of the car. The exhaust is quite low down and there appeared to be no central support, hence why the endplates are attached to the floor.

This is by no means the definitive final version of the VJM07, but the drawing is based off a model that actually existed.

Owen.C93

Outwash frontwing was the other interesting point.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

theWPTformula

Owen.C93 wrote:Outwash frontwing was the other interesting point.
Agreed, although I would be surprised if anyone went in-wash. You get more surface area to play with using an out-wash design, and the aero-structures around the front tyres will already be quite familiar. Perhaps we will see more of the vanes that Red Bull were using towards the latter stages of the year to control tyre wake.

Crucial_Xtreme

Piola says the SFI car will have a step like in 2012 but not on the nose, on the body..

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/33657/ ... lla-scocca

Thunder

I guess they will not be the only Team with such a Step. Actually i would be surprised it not the most Teams would go for that.

Can there be a Vanity Panel or is that just for the Nose?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Huntresa

I get what you say but that image is weird, so they will have step above and below since that img shows that or just below and proper smooth transision ontop from 625 down to the tip ?

turbof1

I don't see the use of a step underneath the chassis. Unless things like a higher CoG, boundary layer and lift suddenly are performance enhancers, it looks pointless.
#AeroFrodo

Matt Somers

Thunders wrote:I guess they will not be the only Team with such a Step. Actually i would be surprised it not the most Teams would go for that.

Can there be a Vanity Panel or is that just for the Nose?
Yes a Vanity panel can be used
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

FrukostScones

turbof1 wrote:I don't see the use of a step underneath the chassis. Unless things like a higher CoG, boundary layer and lift suddenly are performance enhancers, it looks pointless.
It looks a bit odd, I guess it will loook sleeker in real, to fulfill dimension regulations most probably.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Holm86

turbof1 wrote:I don't see the use of a step underneath the chassis. Unless things like a higher CoG, boundary layer and lift suddenly are performance enhancers, it looks pointless.
Unless you use a "reverse" s-duct. Where the scoope is on the top of the nose drawing air in and blowing it underneath the nose at the step??

Like this:

And please don't be too amazed by my drawing stills. They come with years of no practice.

turbof1

You should see my pc 'drawing' skills: guaranteed that people run away :P.

It's still pretty clear though. I used to make simple paint drawings myself, but then I just switched back to hand drawings which I scanned in and uploaded. Much easier, faster and much better drawings.

The S-duct does fix a lot of the issues I summed up, so +1 for that

Still, what is the purpose of it? you are not getting any more air underneath the chassis because it gets blocked in front by the nose. Instead just use the area for extra crash structure to have an easier time during crash tests.

It's not always enough that there's more volume underneath the chassis. The air has to get there also freely.
#AeroFrodo

wesley123

I'm not sure what the point of that would be. There is more to the underside of the tub than cramming more air under it and hoping it would work. I'm not as confident on here as I would be on the inboard end-plates but I don't think it would work.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

JDC123

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... 33657_.jpg

Piola says the SFI car will have a step like in 2012 but not on the nose, on the body..

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/33657/ ... lla-scocca
Surely the bottom 'step' would act like the pelican nose that appeared on some of the cars this year (Most notably Lotus), designed to produce a low pressure area which helps such the car down producing downforce. Why would you then put a duct from the top of the nose down to this area? would this not produce a high pressure area under the nose which effectively produces lift?