McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

but this is copy/paste from rb so there is hope it works :-)

mclaren_mircea

Are the sidepods a little bit smaller? [-o<

Duke

Can't make it out very well, have you got the original without the weird filter?

AnthonyG

Sauber/Mclaren chimneys, covered with duct tape
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

emmepi27

Duke wrote:Can't make it out very well, have you got the original without the weird filter?
It's the original by McLaren

Duke

Ah ok. Found a pic of them from F1 Fanatic - http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... agn-21.jpg

trinidefender

Can anyone confirm if McLaren were running their car with the full double mushroom setup or just one or none at all? Wasn't able to watch qualifying.

emmepi27

trinidefender wrote:Can anyone confirm if McLaren were running their car with the full double mushroom setup or just one or none at all? Wasn't able to watch qualifying.
As Austria, they run without complete "mushroom" suspension. Only lower arm

Morteza

Formula1.com

By the way the name is written wrongly by F1 website. It should be MP4-29 :mrgreen:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JimClarkFan

Broken record incoming: Mclaren need to ditch the suspension and make the bodywork of the car tighter at the back. Looks to me as if the rear bodywork around the exhaust is high and wide in an attempt to keep air coming over the sidepods from crashing into the suspension arms - I think overall this is not the best rear package.

My question would be, what happens to the air in this space marked with the red arrows with the fast air moving over the top.

Pleasing to see that they finally have a new front wing though.

trinidefender

JimClarkFan wrote:Broken record incoming: Mclaren need to ditch the suspension and make the bodywork of the car tighter at the back. Looks to me as if the rear bodywork around the exhaust is high and wide in an attempt to keep air coming over the sidepods from crashing into the suspension arms - I think overall this is not the best rear package.

My question would be, what happens to the air in this space marked with the red arrows with the fast air moving over the top.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2v3qwyp.png

Pleasing to see that they finally have a new front wing though.
Can you maybe give us a drawing from a different angle as I'm slightly confused as to what you mean and where exactly those arrows are pointing to.

Mattchu

trinidefender wrote: Can you maybe give us a drawing from a different angle as I'm slightly confused as to what you mean and where exactly those arrows are pointing to.
Pretty sure JimClarkFan means the area directly behind the raised back sections of the sidepods either side of the exhaust. My take would be that this air is compressed slightly by the fast moving air coming off the top of the sidepods and thus creates a little bit of downforce but not really in a clean an elegent way!
I tghink your reasoning for the sidepods being high in the first place is probably correct as i`m sure they don`t need that much venting area there, plus every other car is a lot tighter packed in that area.

Hopefully someone can give us a more in depth analysis...

JimClarkFan

Hi guys, yes Mattchu has understood what I mean

I'm talking about the air that sits directly behind the the raised rear body work. To my mind there is no way that air can be clean, I personally think of it like a car travelling down a motor way and someone opens the window - you have air swirling around as it rushes to get into the car.

Added to that you have the suspension arms which is blocking the faster air from a clean exit, the effect is slowing down the air coming off the rear.

I can't see how that can be good for rear down force as you want that fast air to be moving uninterrupted over the car and out the back, as it stands I think the fast air is going to be firstly sucked down into that gap, and then blocked from leaving the rear by the suspension arms. A double whammy which reduces rear downforce.

Can anyone more technically minded confirm or deny this possibility?

Thunder

Silverstone In Season Test Day One:

Lets go. 8)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum