Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djos

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

I thought I heard they also changed all their gear ratios too - you get at least one change of ratio settings per year iirc.
"In downforce we trust"

atlantis

Yep they used their joker and changed (shortened) the gear ratio

FW17

He was doing 344 kph with 11803 rpm as per the graphic

henra

Juzh wrote: We can see Vettel making short work of Button into the last chicane despite coming at him from a long way back.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_tf8ZJ ... FVb0U/edit
Although the top Speed seems to have improved markedly with the RBs, in this particular case he was able to take much more speed through the preceding turn. That was what mainly gave him the excess speed.

flyboy2160

Don't post either race results or speculation about updates in the car threads. Use the race or Team threads.

seinfeld

atlantis wrote:Yep they used their joker and changed (shortened) the gear ratio

Quick question. when you say they used a joker to change the gear ratio. what do the rules say.
can you only change 1 gear. the final 8th gear? or can you change all 8 gears? as Redbull said they realized that they were down on power, and hence geared way too tall. they would get a lot out of changing all 8 gears to shorten them all (or taller 1st to 3rd to help traction and bringing it on boost)

djos

Red Bull RB10 Renault

Iirc you can change all your ratios once per year.
"In downforce we trust"

seinfeld

cool thanks. yeah def gave them a big boost in speed. changing them. I wonder which ones they changed. if it was only 8th or what. I'm sure someone will do an analysis :wink: :wink: to tell us. compare an old onboard or something :wink: :wink: =P~

acosmichippo

My understanding is it is not "per year" but only this year. Teams will not have the ability to change ratios at all starting in 2015.

gandharva

They can change ratios at the beginning of each season, but a change during season is only allowed in 2014.
9.6.2 Each competitor must nominate the forward gear ratios (calculated from engine crankshaft to drive shafts) to be employed within their gearbox. These nominations must be declared to the FIA technical delegate at or before the first Event of the Championship. For 2014 only a competitor may re-nominate these ratios once within the Championship season, in which case the original nomination becomes immediately void. Ratio re-nominations must be declared as a set.

JDC123

gandharva wrote:They can change ratios at the beginning of each season, but a change during season is only allowed in 2014.
9.6.2 Each competitor must nominate the forward gear ratios (calculated from engine crankshaft to drive shafts) to be employed within their gearbox. These nominations must be declared to the FIA technical delegate at or before the first Event of the Championship. For 2014 only a competitor may re-nominate these ratios once within the Championship season, in which case the original nomination becomes immediately void. Ratio re-nominations must be declared as a set.
Are teams allowed to go back to their original gear ratios or do they have to stick with the new one for the rest of the season. What I mean is once they've changed ratios can they switch between the two from race to race?

NTS
NTS

JDC123 wrote: Are teams allowed to go back to their original gear ratios or do they have to stick with the new one for the rest of the season. What I mean is once they've changed ratios can they switch between the two from race to race?
No, check the quote: "For 2014 only a competitor may re-nominate these ratios once within the Championship season, in which case the original nomination becomes immediately void."

techF1LES

seinfeld wrote:cool thanks. yeah def gave them a big boost in speed. changing them. I wonder which ones they changed. if it was only 8th or what. I'm sure someone will do an analysis :wink: :wink: to tell us. compare an old onboard or something :wink: :wink: =P~
Contrary to what Ted Kravitz reported, according to AMuS pundit Michael Schmidt the first, second, seventh and eighth gear are now longer.

Source: Auto Motor und Sport

hollus

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

This is the new gearing in the Bulls since Spa (in colors) compared to the old (in gray).
As reported in AMUS, 2nd, 7th and 8th became longer (I couldn't find any data for 1st). They reported 3rd to 6th staying the same. The very small differences in 4th, 5th and 6th are likely errors in my method with the ratios staying the same, but I am not so sure about 3rd. It would seem logical to do that small change after 2nd became longer, but there is still a bit of wheelspin in 3rd, so my old data might have suffered from it.

These are the new measured ratios, compared to the old and to Toro Rosso's:
New Red Bull     n/a   12.42  9.71   7.85   6.49   5.48   4.73   4.28
Old Red Bull    19.02  13.51  9.91   7.83   6.46   5.52   4.89   4.42
Toro Rosso      16.00  12.43  9.30   7.71   6.49   5.47   4.72   4.28
Isn't it great to have a sister team to test your ratios for you? 7th and 8th are clearly copied from Toro Rosso. The changes in those gears are only about 3% towards longer, so fine tuning. Maybe to match a expected top speed. The change i 2nd is larger, almost 9%, and again the ratio seems copied from Toro Rosso, so maybe one could infer a ratio of 16.00 for 1st, also from the Toro Rosso book and tested for a few races after they changed it? 3rd and 4th are not Toro Rosso copies, though, so I guess they did not quite nail it with their change only for 1st gear. Alternatively this might reflect how much better the Bulls are in traction at medium-low speeds, with wheelspin being less of a worry.
Rivals, not enemies.

SectorOne

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Are you getting old Hollus? This is the RB8 thread :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"