Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
lio007

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

Cascadeless FW for Monza;

gandharva

At least the upper flap of the rearwing is present. ^^

dmjunqueira

This car looks really beautiful w/ these new wings!!!

zioture

In Monza GP Redbull use a flat nose

stefan_

Italy 2014 - Friday (05.09.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

rscsr

Since when are they using disc springs on the Front heave element?
And interestingly it seems to be a progressive one. I thought that they would use a degressive spring assembly .
http://i.imgur.com/RlmFCTk.jpg

Jano11

rscsr wrote:Since when are they using disc springs on the Front heave element?
And interestingly it seems to be a progressive one. I thought that they would use a degressive spring assembly .
Disc springs have a smaller size for the same loads.
Not sure though what you mean about the degressive vs progressive assembly.

rscsr

Jano11 wrote:
rscsr wrote:Since when are they using disc springs on the Front heave element?
Disc springs have a smaller size for the same loads.
Not sure though what you mean about the degressive vs progressive assembly.
And they are way easier to set up properly. I just asked, because it is the first time I've seen them in a F1 car.

regarding the progressive springrate, I just thought that you want a rather soft spring at a certain load. But on second thought it would be not that great/simple since the aerodynamic loads increase with the power of 2.

Just_a_fan

rscsr wrote: I just asked, because it is the first time I've seen them in a F1 car.
I remember seeing Minardi running them on the rear suspension. That's a few years ago...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

thisisatest

belleville washers/springs are nice because it's very easy to make spring rate adjustments with minimal extra parts. also check out Hyperco. it's possible, even likely, that these are carbon fiber, making them much lighter than conventional coils.

http://www.hypercoils.com/bellows

regarding its progressiveness, if i wanted to have a particular spring rate curve, i'd likely try to do it with linkage geometry. digressive springing is tricky, having a highly preloaded spring on top of another...

Pierce89

emmepi27 wrote:A friend show me this nice video comparision:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT1R_Rt8NJI
That video is wonderful for showing how a bellows spring doesn't create sideload on the damper shaft like a traditional coil. It also shows the new carbon sprlings for anyone who hasn't seen them yet. The picture above could well be using the carbon Hyperco springs.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

tuj
tuj

From what I was hearing the RB10 floor is incredibly efficient at generating down-force, thus allowing Riccardo to carry high speed out of the parabolica and ended up setting the highest speed trap during the race IIRC. Clearly the rear wing and front wings were modified to reduce drag, so I guess my question is: what is RBR doing with their floor that makes it so much better?

Just_a_fan

If the RedBull was so "incredibly efficient" then they'd be winning all of the races. The RedBull doesn't have the downforce margin that it enjoyed in the EBD days. Indeed, they probably have little, if any, more downforce than the Mercedes this season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.