Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OO7
OO7

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

The car looks beautiful, possibly the best. I'm very glad they didn't go with a pure finger nose, considering the design of the driver cooling channel :o :shock: :lol:.
Last edited by OO7 on 28 Jan 2014, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Avocado

What is this thing? It's not just the nose, huh?

OO7
OO7

Avocado wrote:
What is this thing? It's not just the nose, huh?
Driver cooling channel. :lol:

zioture

It seems that there is a slot on the tip

The slot under the nose is divided into three parts

motobaleno

If mercedes nose will be deemed legal than all other teams are wrong (and they will pretty upset I guess...)
In particular RB10 nose actually is rather similar to mercedes one...but with a bulge intended to make it legal...
Last edited by motobaleno on 28 Jan 2014, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.G

zioture wrote:It seems that there is a slot on the tip

The slot under the nose is divided into three parts

http://www.newsf1.it/wp-content/uploads ... l_rb10.jpg
Will this fulfill the single shape cross section rule?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

lio007

is it possible that the rear wing is mounted only on this tiny little central pillar?? Hard to believe

rssh

How is the rear wing supported/connected cause I don't think that one stress panel in the centre can handle the amount of DF of rear wing + hydraulic line for DRS. Is it DRD? :?:

Mr.G

it looks like the central pillar is for the DRS...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

muelte

Does DRS have to be an hydraulic system? I've always thinked that some kind of electrical 'wireless' device would be far more simple, but don't know if it is allowed or even if it would be really possible or practical.

aleks_ader

muelte wrote:Does DRS have to be an hydraulic system? I've always thinked that some kind of electrical 'wireless' device would be far more simple, but don't know if it is allowed or even if it would be really possible or practical.
Not really. If you already had hydraulic sys on board, why don't use it. Why is single small cylinder, which could easily cope with forces so complex? Look how small DRS accutators get! I dont believe electric system could be that light and had that so small size!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Mr.G

Also, how you want to have wireless system without power? Batteries? Once you route the power path it's better use hydraulic.

muelte

Take for example McLaren MP4-29 rear wing design. It has a single slim wing pillar. Pillar starts from a circular shaped support at the end of engine cover. Take a look at this picture:

I find it hard (or at least hardly convenient) to route an hydraulic line all over those parts to get to DRS actuator...

I know I'm probably getting off topic here, but I have same doubts over RB design.

Edit: about electrical/battery, I would find far more easier to route an electrical wire than a hydraulic hose.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm wrong :)

Mr.G

Well, it's not like those on the excavators :D
Last edited by Mr.G on 28 Jan 2014, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

I think you have to take into account the forces required in opening the DRS flap. At high speeds its going to be immense. A hydraulic system would surely be a lot smaller than an electric system.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC