Toleman sponsor, Estoril 1984

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tricky1963

Toleman sponsor, Estoril 1984

Can anyone tell me who the Toleman sponsor was for Senna's last race with them at Estoril in '84 ?

For this race only, the rear of the car was painted in red and white vertical stripes, with a sort of propeller logo which must be connected with the stripes as they didn't have it in other races. It was only Senna's car too - the other Toleman (Johansson) had the more usual red/white/blue paint scheme.

This logo looks vaguely like the Carlsberg logo but isn't quite the same.

This has been bugging me for years, and as I have just found this excellent website I thought I would ask on here.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks

Johansson in the other car at the same race...

MrData

Re: Toleman sponsor, Estoril 1984

Benetton?

tricky1963

no, the Benetton logo is nothing like that

marcush.

Toleman had a faible for italien Sponsors for whatever reasons...

The read and white stripes remind me of BASF "Glysantin" but I cannot find anything supporting this -there was also that red 1+
drop logo on these cars -it seems also impossible to find out what it is...
Maybe some money loundering scheme...who knows.

miguelalvesreis

marcush. wrote:Toleman had a faible for italien Sponsors for whatever reasons...

The read and white stripes remind me of BASF "Glysantin" but I cannot find anything supporting this -there was also that red 1+
drop logo on these cars -it seems also impossible to find out what it is...
Maybe some money loundering scheme...who knows.

The +1 logo was about oils/additives. Was very common. search for piu1 and you'll probably find it. The kind of 3 point star crossed with a clover, is the one I can't remember

Manoah2u

write SkyF1. Ask Crofty would generate some interest i'm sure.
Otherwise there's the BBC.
Otherwise there's F1 itself.

Then there's the brazil racetrack.
Then there's the Ayrton Senna fanclub.
Then there's Bruno Senna.

Then there's Lotus F1 Team. Whom, after all, used to be Renault, which used to be Benetton, which used to be Toleman.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vettel Maggot

Wasn't it a local football side?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Toleman-Story ... 1845842170

This book may explain it.
Last edited by Vettel Maggot on 11 May 2015, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

atlantis

IIRC the red/white stripes were an honour for Magirus - have read that on an old printed magazine (autosprint).

tricky1963

Thanks, but still drawing a blank.

That Toleman book is one of the most disappointing reads I have ever had. Pictures in wrong order, absolutely zilch technical detail or information so you get no insight at all. It could have been a great book but it's just half-remembered stories and very shallow. :twisted:

tricky1963

on the off chance, I tried tracking down Chris Witty, ex marketing manager of Toleman, and to my utter surprise got a lovely reply in about 20 minutes !!

Hi Richard, Will be delighted to answer your two questions ... and more! The Estoril livery for Senna's car was, indeed, Carlsberg, the Danish beer manufacturer. Through their UK office they sponsored Ted Toleman's offshore powerboat team and we painted the car in their livery as a gesture because immediately following the Portuguese GP, they had a European conference in Estoril and wanted the car there as a show piece. +1 was an Italian oil additive company, similar I guess to STP, but which we never used and ever saw. Just took the sponsorship dollar! Hope this has been of help. Regards, Chris W.

So it WAS Carlsberg after all, Carlsberg UK to be precise. And it's only taken me 31 years to find out :lol:

langwadt

tricky1963 wrote:on the off chance, I tried tracking down Chris Witty, ex marketing manager of Toleman, and to my utter surprise got a lovely reply in about 20 minutes !!

Hi Richard, Will be delighted to answer your two questions ... and more! The Estoril livery for Senna's car was, indeed, Carlsberg, the Danish beer manufacturer. Through their UK office they sponsored Ted Toleman's offshore powerboat team and we painted the car in their livery as a gesture because immediately following the Portuguese GP, they had a European conference in Estoril and wanted the car there as a show piece. +1 was an Italian oil additive company, similar I guess to STP, but which we never used and ever saw. Just took the sponsorship dollar! Hope this has been of help. Regards, Chris W.

So it WAS Carlsberg after all, Carlsberg UK to be precise. And it's only taken me 31 years to find out :lol:
damn, I'm danish and it never crossed my mind that is could be Carlsberg

hollus

That's because it was a pretty lousy job of making the symbol (supposed to be hops) in the Carlsberg logo!
To be fair, it looks a lot more like the version of that symbol in old bottles... and yet...
Rivals, not enemies.