Ferrari SF15-T Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Harsha

Re: Ferrari 666 Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

f1316 wrote:Hope this is not a consequence of them starting the 2015 car 'late' as has been reported.

Unbelievable that they would not start it very early; was clear 2014 was a write off from very early on.
That is what happened and say thanks to FRY and Nick

Harsha

wesley123 wrote:Would require a change on the tub, but why would they?
What kind of help they got with current suspension setup , it would be better if they change mid season (if the omnicorse article is true) than waiting until end of season .

WickedF1

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:OmniCorse reports the 2015 car will retain the front pull rod suspension.

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/45443/ ... o-del-2015
Wasn't that one of the issues with the previous car?

Crucial_Xtreme

lkm9719 wrote:
hope that is not true as it is not a good sample as no team is using this concept
And? I couldn't care less what other teams are using. If RoGro wouldn't have wrecked Fernando in Spa or Kimi and Fernando wouldn't have hit each other in Japan in 2012 Fernando would have won the WDC with the front pull rod suspension. So obviously it's not the problem many want to make it out to be.

If Allison decides to use a pull rod front, it's fine with me. Same goes for a push rod front. Which ever is used will have been decided by him and he's one of the best Engineers on the grid. The front pull rod has proven not to be a problem. We shall see which direction the team goes.

Harsha

CX did you read the race car engineering Review of 2014 ?
I thought Braking is Bit harder this year compared to previous years but this proves me opposite
Softer braking
"We have had issues with losing brake-by-wire, and the driver ends up on his own. The pedal has a very different feel when that happens – it is much softer than you expect it to be. More significantly, the brake bias shifts substantially.
If you come into a corner with a BBW failure, you’ll get a wake-up call."
It also creates a challenge for the caliper manufacturers such as AP, Brembo and Akebono, who have to develop systems to aid the braking effort at the rear, negating the need for the driver to constantly alter the brake bias, and also contributing in preventing rear lock-up.
The arrival of BBW in F1 means that now the only things the driver controls mechanically are the steering angle of the front wheels, and the pressure applied to the front brakes. Every other system on the car is now drive by-wire. This, say some, reduces the challenge for drivers, but increases it for engineers.

ecapox

He said BBW. :D :shock:

wesley123

Harsha wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Would require a change on the tub, but why would they?
What kind of help they got with current suspension setup , it would be better if they change mid season (if the omnicorse article is true) than waiting until end of season .
If it was better why wouldn't they incorporate it from the beginning?

Ferrari has ran pull-rod front suspension since 2012 so I'm quite certain they find some advantages with the setup.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

scarbs

With the new sloped top to the chassis for 2015, this will compromise the pushrod installation angle. Its as likely they'll stick with pull rod.
but then everyone predicted a switch back to pushrod last year, so if they say it enough eventually they might be right and can say told you so.

wesley123

I always thought the angle of the pull-rod was an disadvantage compared to pushrod(not sure if this is correct), but with the change in chassis height wouldn't this be more of an advantage to pullrod as this would decrease it's angle(or increase, depends on the way you look at it)?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

timbo

Seen the report that 666 passed crash-test.

Does anyone else think that crash test news come unusually early this season (not only Ferrari but others too)?

ESPImperium

timbo wrote:Seen the report that 666 passed crash-test.

Does anyone else think that crash test news come unusually early this season (not only Ferrari but others too)?
Not really these days. With the build programme of a V8 era chassis it was about 16 weeks from sign off to fire up, these new V6 era chassis the mechanics have requested an extra 2 weeks in order to get the chassis built and fired up before the car hits a track. This means the sign off is now no longer mid September (week after Monza usually) but late August/early September (Week between Spa & Monza) in order to maximise the time the chassis has in the race bays to get all its looms and gubbins installed as the V6s have so much to install, also the fact there is also a little more to install in the car when manufacturing the car now like the leg protection panels.

The earlier you sign off the chassis the earlier you can start making advantages. However the downside is that the chassis may have flaws in it that can't be designed out, like pull rod front suspension for instance. Id say its worth the risk as you can then work on better aero in other areas, that could be better for the car.

Harsha

https://twitter.com/LorenzoDL83/status/ ... 3270818816 more info :
http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/45507/ ... o-red-bull

About this To Crucial Xtreme and Turbo F1
is Redbull kind of keel nose legal in 2015

diffuser

I'm Not CX or TF1 but this http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2014/0/1246.html video says no.

diffuser

on Omnicourse...when it's written by Giorgio I believe it. I don't know this Franco.

The whole year we've been told that James Allison was designing the F15T. Now all of a sudden it was Tobazis and Fry?

Sounds like blame deflection to me.

Harsha

diffuser wrote:on Omnicourse...when it's written by Giorgio I believe it. I don't know this Franco.

The whole year we've been told that James Allison was designing the F15T. Now all of a sudden it was Tobazis and Fry?

Sounds like blame deflection to me.
First of all Thanks for some info
On topic I think the Car designed by Fry and Tombazis was scrapped and james allison and his new team started it from scratch if the article is any thing to go by from October , so they have less time to develop but we can also say just like you said a Blame Deflection. Any way lets see how it pans out we are now less than a month on car reveal