Manor MNR1 - Ferrari (aka 2015 Marussia)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
andylaurence

Re: Manor MNR1 - Ferrari (aka 2015 Marussia)

£4595 for that monocoque sounds steep to me - real monocoques went for less than that in the auction and I seem to remember this sold for about £600+premium+tax.

I don't agree that 3D printing wind tunnel models is in any way easy. Whilst the external dimensions of the model are the same as those of the real car, the parts have to be designed separately as they have different fittings, are of different thicknesses and have different internal structural bracing. Once the item has been printed, it has to be finished by hand and the model assembled. That is a painstaking process as the parts are bolted onto a spine, which appears to be even more labour intensive to make. Just look at how much work has gone into this upright/hub assembly (sorry, it's n MR01 rather than a 115M):

mattia.bobbo

I was going to cry thinking of all the effort made for nothing to produce those 3D printed parts and the CFD studies behind them. This is really a sad story.. Between teams with little budget marussia was my favourite, and then jules was perfect for that car. However it's amazing to read from "insiders" lots of things that media will never have said.
-Sorry for my bad english-

Henning

Is it just me or do the sidepod inlets look tiny?

andylaurence

Henning wrote:Is it just me or do the sidepod inlets look tiny?
techF1LES wrote:Image
I've a few MR03 wind tunnel sidepods and associated heat exchangers. I'll try and dig them out to measure up. They do look smaller with the outer bodywork removed - moreso at 50% scale!

andylaurence

andylaurence wrote:I can't work out where these winglets are positioned. They're marked as monocoque parts and there's 11 iterations here chronologically from top to bottom:

I found the drawings for these yesterday (and some more iterations). They are vanes underneath the nose. I've started cataloging the parts and have so far found 9 boxes of 2015 parts, including two engine covers, more noses, front wing end plates, planes and cascades, turning vanes and VGs from the sidepods, sidepod sections and rear wing parts along with a few run lists showing what they planned to do in the tunnel and several engineering drawings from the CAD models. I'm sure there's more to be found - I've only opened about 15% of the boxes. More photos when I have figured out how it all goes together!

jericho

Jonnycraig

AMuS claim they have booked in next month for a crashtest. Presumably for their 2014/15 hybrid.

Daliracing

They say they will try to make the grid in Melbourne but will it be a changed 2014 car or the prototype they have? i asume they still have some plans of the car or am i wrong?

andylaurence

andylaurence wrote:
Henning wrote:Is it just me or do the sidepod inlets look tiny?
I've a few MR03 wind tunnel sidepods and associated heat exchangers. I'll try and dig them out to measure up. They do look smaller with the outer bodywork removed - moreso at 50% scale!
I forgot to post this photo I took of the sidepod inlet at 50% scale.

On the subject of the new car and how much work's required, a lot of the wind tunnel parts for the 2015 car fit the parts for the 2014 car, so a hybrid seems rather achievable.

Richard

Andy, I'm surprised they haven't contacted you yet to retieve those parts!

andylaurence

I think the 2015 parts I have had already been in the wind tunnel, so they should already have the data. I have the front clip that Scarbs mentioned in his Race Tech article and all the parts not photographed in that article. Some parts are still in their boxes from the companies who produced them - quite a lot appeared to be outsourced, usually the carbon and metal components.

roadie

If the team do run and I really, really hope they do, does anyone else believe the 2014 Ferrari PU is likely to to be a major thorn in their side for the whole season?

Henning

Thanks Andy.

I think what confused me was how thick the top edge of the inlet is, but that can clearly be seen with the assembled part.
andylaurence wrote: I forgot to post this photo I took of the sidepod inlet at 50% scale.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7395/162 ... 396b03.jpg

On the subject of the new car and how much work's required, a lot of the wind tunnel parts for the 2015 car fit the parts for the 2014 car, so a hybrid seems rather achievable.

BanMeToo

roadie wrote:If the team do run and I really, really hope they do, does anyone else believe the 2014 Ferrari PU is likely to to be a major thorn in their side for the whole season?
Yea. I very much hope they can salvage this season, rather than simply race against the 107% clock all year, but....

Moose

The car passed crash tests today, so they should at least appear in Australia.