Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Moose

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation Thread

noel wrote:i'm really curious if merc can pull off even better fuel consumption above 10,500 rpm next year. just think of the straight-line speed they could achieve - i imagine them easily doing 240 at monza. plus it would be great to hear the new pu when the limiter kicks in at 15,000.
I actually hope we stay miles away from the limiter for a very long time. The limiter introduced DRS trains - everyone except the lead car gets DRS, and bumps into the limiter trying to get past the next guy up. With (effectively) no limiter that's not at all a problem.

auaq

What's the consensus on the rev limiter and fuel flow for next year? Is it going to be the same or will be there be more revs now closer to 15k rpm?

Burgess

Fuel flow limitation and rev limit will stay the same as far as I'm aware.

auaq

Do you think we'll see slightly more revs?

noel

Moose wrote:
noel wrote:i'm really curious if merc can pull off even better fuel consumption above 10,500 rpm next year. just think of the straight-line speed they could achieve - i imagine them easily doing 240 at monza. plus it would be great to hear the new pu when the limiter kicks in at 15,000.
I actually hope we stay miles away from the limiter for a very long time. The limiter introduced DRS trains - everyone except the lead car gets DRS, and bumps into the limiter trying to get past the next guy up. With (effectively) no limiter that's not at all a problem.
i don't know, man. people were in awe by the 220 daniel did in monza during an overtake this year. the ratios on the w05 would've allowed a (theoretical) top speed of 260 mph until the singapore gearbox joker. i think that's probably fast enough - especially how we know britney's not on top of the whole braking-under-pressure thing.
44 | 22 | 14

PhillipM

auaq wrote:Do you think we'll see slightly more revs?
If anything, probably see less rpms as the ERS and deployment units become more efficient.

WaikeCU

PhillipM wrote:
If anything, probably see less rpms as the ERS and deployment units become more efficient.
Exactly. Efficiency is the word we use these days.

scarbs

My info suggests the W06 will have a nose like marussia but more arched.
Last edited by scarbs on 01 Dec 2014, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

mikeerfol

I guess you mean W06 :P

prince

PhillipM wrote:
Why would you not want more RPMs (of course we are talking about ICE RPMs)? The very reason why the RPMs are lower than the permitted 15,000 is, fuel consumption. Sometime back Andy Cowell was saying that, with the allowed fuel usage, the ICE can only generate around 650-700 BHP and THEORETICALLY, THE ICE CAN GENERATE DOUBLE THE BHP, IF THE FUEL USAGE CAN BE DOUBLE. With that, if fuel consumption can improve, expect the RPM to move over the usual 11000 that has been done this season. Improving the ERS systems would only add to the overall power.

PhillipM

prince wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
Why would you not want more RPMs (of course we are talking about ICE RPMs)? The very reason why the RPMs are lower than the permitted 15,000 is, fuel consumption. Sometime back Andy Cowell was saying that, with the allowed fuel usage, the ICE can only generate around 650-700 BHP and THEORETICALLY, THE ICE CAN GENERATE DOUBLE THE BHP, IF THE FUEL USAGE CAN BE DOUBLE. With that, if fuel consumption can improve, expect the RPM to move over the usual 11000 that has been done this season. Improving the ERS systems would only add to the overall power.
Because no matter what you do, using more rpms will reduce efficiency, so as the ERS and boost systems get better, the turbo lag will be ever lower, the drive out of corners will be better from electrical assist, why would you then run more revs? It doesn't make you any more power, and your efficiency gains are going to arguably improve the bottom end as much if not more than the top.
Ergo, you'd use less rpms. And less fuel. And run the car lighter.

prince

PhillipM wrote:
prince wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
Because no matter what you do, using more rpms will reduce efficiency, so as the ERS and boost systems get better, the turbo lag will be ever lower, the drive out of corners will be better from electrical assist, why would you then run more revs? It doesn't make you any more power, and your efficiency gains are going to arguably improve the bottom end as much if not more than the top.
Ergo, you'd use less rpms. And less fuel. And run the car lighter.
Really? Then why were the teams arguing with FIA when the RPMs were reduced from 18000 (V8) to 12000 (V6), and then teams fought hard to get 15000? Per your theory, they should have been happier and concentrated on developing electric systems.

And moreover, there is limitation to how much energy you can use through the ERS-K and ERS-H.
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules ... ions/8699/
The first MGU (known as MGU-K, where the K stands for kinetic) converts kinetic energy generated under braking into electricity. Under acceleration 120kW of this electricity, which is stored in batteries in the Energy Store (ES), can then be used to power the MGU-K which is connected to the crankshaft of the engine and in turn helps propel the car.

The second MGU (known as MGU-H, where the H stands for heat), is connected to the turbocharger and converts heat energy from exhaust gases into electrical energy. The energy can then be used to power the MGU-K or be retained in the ES for subsequent use. In total, ERS has twice the power of the pre-2014 KERS (120kW compared to 60kW, a maximum of 4MJ per lap compared to 0.4MJ per lap) and provide it for nearly ten times as long (approximately 33 seconds per lap as opposed to six).

Juzh

15k revs theories still floating around :lol: on f1technical..
Fuel consumption is not the problem. 100kg/h @ 10500rpm is. As long as this rules stays no one will get close to 15k. Engines are not even designed for revs that high anyway, that's why teams use self-imposed limiters at around 13k, to protect the from accidental "over-rev".

prince

Juzh wrote:15k revs theories still floating around :lol: on f1technical..
Fuel consumption is not the problem. 100kg/h @ 10500rpm is. As long as this rules stays no one will get close to 15k. Engines are not even designed for revs that high anyway, that's why teams use self-imposed limiters at around 13k, to protect the from accidental "over-rev".
Can you please provide a link to the regulation, which says only 100Kg/h @ 10500rpm?

Blanchimont

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)