Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation Thread

prince wrote:
Juzh wrote:15k revs theories still floating around :lol: on f1technical..
Fuel consumption is not the problem. 100kg/h @ 10500rpm is. As long as this rules stays no one will get close to 15k. Engines are not even designed for revs that high anyway, that's why teams use self-imposed limiters at around 13k, to protect the from accidental "over-rev".
Can you please provide a link to the regulation, which says only 100Kg/h @ 10500rpm?
Can you not be bothered to search and find the Regs yourself?

http://www.fia.com/sport/regulations?f% ... egory%3A82

noel

Fuel consumption is not the problem. 100kg/h @ 10500rpm is. As long as this rules stays no one will get close to 15k. Engines are not even designed for revs that high anyway, that's why teams use self-imposed limiters at around 13k, to protect the from accidental "over-rev".
you can laugh, but the 100 kg rule is exactly why i brought it up. if the team can achieve even better fuel efficiency than this year, they could crank the ice up a notch for more speed.
44 | 22 | 14

noel

scarbs wrote:My info suggests the W06 will have a nose like marussia but more arched.
which one? surely not the mr03 with the strap-on attached?
44 | 22 | 14

PhillipM
PhillipM

noel wrote: you can laugh, but the 100 kg rule is exactly why i brought it up. if the team can achieve even better fuel efficiency than this year, they could crank the ice up a notch for more speed.
There wouldn't be any more speed, that's the point, you'd go slower, not faster. :wtf:

Shrieker

noel wrote:
scarbs wrote:My info suggests the W06 will have a nose like marussia but more arched.
I'm guessing he's referring to this.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

prince
prince

PhillipM wrote:
noel wrote: you can laugh, but the 100 kg rule is exactly why i brought it up. if the team can achieve even better fuel efficiency than this year, they could crank the ice up a notch for more speed.
There wouldn't be any more speed, that's the point, you'd go slower, not faster. :wtf:
Every year, it is the same story. Most people think, its not possible to find anymore speed and every year we get surprised that engineers have found areas of getting speed. That is why, we are audience and they are the show makers. Time and again, the engineers have surprised and shown something as possible, which most thought was possible anymore.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

the other "elephant" in the room to be addressed is the NOISE!! will it be getting any louder anytime soon?

Juzh

noel wrote:
you can laugh, but the 100 kg rule is exactly why i brought it up. if the team can achieve even better fuel efficiency than this year, they could crank the ice up a notch for more speed.
I'll still laugh next year when we get some speedos on the screen and engines still rev exactly the same as this year, and will continue to do so for as long as 100kg/h is around. More revs does not equal more power anymore, like it did with previous NAs.

example: Merc is noticeably more powerful than renault of ferrari, yet all of them rev to almost exactly the same values.

Harsha
Harsha

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:the other "elephant" in the room to be addressed is the NOISE!! will it be getting any louder anytime soon?
More Noise i dont think so . It will stay more or less same revs

WaikeCU

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:the other "elephant" in the room to be addressed is the NOISE!! will it be getting any louder anytime soon?
I really don't mind the sound tbh. That deep roar is still very appealing to me.

scarbs
scarbs

Shrieker wrote:
noel wrote:
I'm guessing he's referring to this.
yes that one....

PhillipM
PhillipM

prince wrote: Every year, it is the same story. Most people think, its not possible to find anymore speed and every year we get surprised that engineers have found areas of getting speed. That is why, we are audience and they are the show makers. Time and again, the engineers have surprised and shown something as possible, which most thought was possible anymore.
Every year it's the same story, people get an idea in their heads and insist on for page after page without stopping and looking at the facts #-o

If the engines get more efficient, they'd use less revs, not more, because power is limited by the fuel flow cap at 10,500rpm #-o .

natehall
natehall

prince wrote:
Can you please provide a link to the regulation, which says only 100Kg/h @ 10500rpm?
I believe its no more than 100kg/h over 10,500 RPM.. Article 5.1.4 and 5.1.5 of the 2014 technical regulations states:
2014 Technical Regulations wrote: 5.1.4 Fuel mass flow must not exceed 100kg/h
5.1.5 Below 10500rpm the fuel mass flow must not exceed Q (kg/h) = 0.009 N(rpm)+ 5.5.

turbof1

PhillipM wrote:
prince wrote: Every year, it is the same story. Most people think, its not possible to find anymore speed and every year we get surprised that engineers have found areas of getting speed. That is why, we are audience and they are the show makers. Time and again, the engineers have surprised and shown something as possible, which most thought was possible anymore.
Every year it's the same story, people get an idea in their heads and insist on for page after page without stopping and looking at the facts #-o

If the engines get more efficient, they'd use less revs, not more, because power is limited by the fuel flow cap at 10,500rpm #-o .
I believe it'll be around what we have now, perhaps a few hundred rpm's less. It gets down to how quickly the driver shifts when he hits 10,500rpm. These engines go up in rpm very fast, and currently shifting happens around 11,500rpm. 1,000 rpm difference. Blink your eyes and they are already that much higher in rpm.
#AeroFrodo

OO7
OO7

Pieoter wrote:I heard that it has more ellipses than ever before
This is an honest question. Is your comment supposed to be a joke at the expense of Ringo or have you actually heard any rumors/details about the cars aero philosophy?