Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
taperoo2k

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

The packaging looks a lot more refined than on the 29's. Benefit of being a works team I expect, hopefully they'll have sorted out the front end. The suspension looks chunky, might aid the airflow I guess, which I think was the main issue with the 29 last season until PP got his hands on it. Evolution rather than revolution, which might be the safer way to go if 2015 does turn out to be more of a development year.

turbof1

I'm expecting that they'll open up and widen that coke bottle area during the tests.
#AeroFrodo

astracrazy

rb7 type tightness to those sidepods - impressive

JimClarkFan

Its nice to see nothing radical, Mclaren just came in with a base line package.

In years past they have tried something new, or edgy and it just hasn't worked for them.

Hopefully an underwhelming launch means good speed on the track.

SectorOne

By far the best looking Mclaren of the modern era. You can really tell what sort of impact Peter has had on the whole car.
Interesting looking winglet here as well.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

i70q7m7ghw

The big question mark is still the engine. This could be the best chassis on the grid, but if the Honda power unit isn't producing the HP it won't matter. Equally, the chassis could be average, but if the engine is producing significantly more HP than everyone else, it'll win races.

The nose design surprised me, I was expecting a more aggressive interpretation of the regulations, especially considering what Williams have done and what they said about the loss of down force caused by the change.

gandharva

Thunder

Wow. So i really like the Nose. The Sidepods are actually tiny, so there is some serious Packaging going on. Nice little Details all around the Car.

Seems they run an internal DRS actuator like Merc did 2(?) Years before. https://twitter.com/f1writers/status/560772476192292864 So overall i am very Impressed. Stunning Car.
Last edited by turbof1 on 29 Jan 2015, 14:34, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed line about livery
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

WaikeCU

I wonder if the bull horns are legal and what that small panel is right above the nosecone?

GPR-A duplicate2

I have an odd feeling that this nose, might just be for show casing the car and may be there is another one. I may be utterly wrong. The front wing looks very aggressive with 5 elements and I am sure Peter Prodromou being part of Red Bull would always prefer a higher nose. There may just be another variant, which might just come by Melbourne. Peter's late arrival, might have made them work longer to get that perfect nose and for the sake of launch, they have bolted this one.

Mesteño

mikhak

SectorOne wrote:By far the best looking Mclaren of the modern era. You can really tell what sort of impact Peter has had on the whole car.
Interesting looking winglet here as well.

http://i.imgur.com/J2sk8hj.jpg
Some teams opt to smooth around the side impact structure but McLaren here are shrink wrapping the side pod as much as possible.

turbof1

WaikeCU wrote:http://abload.de/img/mchonda1dgues.jpg

I wonder if the bull horns are legal and what that small panel is right above the nosecone?
The camera pods? They are legal since the supports are integrated into the nose. It's a very clever interpretation. It's of course nowhere near the mercedes solution, but should still give a bit of its benefits.

The small panel is removable to adjust the suspension.

Maybe, and I like to stress on maybe, it's part of a S duct, but I doubt it.
#AeroFrodo

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Again people, no livery talk. I'm removing the said comments. The topic for that is here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=21323
#AeroFrodo