Sauber C34 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
sauberfan

Re: Sauber C34 Ferrari

Sauber has the old (left and right) and the new front wing (middle) in Monaco!

BlackSwan

Sniffit

Are both Sauber cars running the old wing? If so any information on why? Does it cause such an imbalance in the car? I mean if they have such problems with downforce on a track like Monaco one would think that's try and hang on as much wings as possible. I was convinced that they would have solved the issue after Barcelona.

JDC123

Sniffit wrote:Are both Sauber cars running the old wing? If so any information on why? Does it cause such an imbalance in the car? I mean if they have such problems with downforce on a track like Monaco one would think that's try and hang on as much wings as possible. I was convinced that they would have solved the issue after Barcelona.
It does seem strange. For a team with budget issues like sauber you would expect them to be very careful with their resources and only develop upgrades that are much more likely to work.

Moose

Sniffit wrote:Are both Sauber cars running the old wing? If so any information on why? Does it cause such an imbalance in the car? I mean if they have such problems with downforce on a track like Monaco one would think that's try and hang on as much wings as possible. I was convinced that they would have solved the issue after Barcelona.
It's entirely plausible that the new wing is more efficient, but doesn't produce as much downforce. That, or it sets up the air for the back of the car better, but doesn't produce as much downforce.

Monaco needs a very pointy front end, so either of those (or several other possibilities) would explain wanting to use the older wing.
It does seem strange. For a team with budget issues like sauber you would expect them to be very careful with their resources and only develop upgrades that are much more likely to work.
That makes the assumption that the main cost is in the production of the part. In actual fact, I expect that the main costs are in the design and simulation of the part (by an order of magnitude or two in fact). Depending on exactly where on that curve they lie, it may be that it is in fact cheaper to make the parts and stick them on the car than to try to do detailed simulation before making them.

JDC123

Moose wrote:
It's entirely plausible that the new wing is more efficient, but doesn't produce as much downforce. That, or it sets up the air for the back of the car better, but doesn't produce as much downforce.

Monaco needs a very pointy front end, so either of those (or several other possibilities) would explain wanting to use the older wing.
That makes the assumption that the main cost is in the production of the part. In actual fact, I expect that the main costs are in the design and simulation of the part (by an order of magnitude or two in fact). Depending on exactly where on that curve they lie, it may be that it is in fact cheaper to make the parts and stick them on the car than to try to do detailed simulation before making them.
There is absolutely no chance that a team would produce parts that haven't been developed first to 'save money'. You aren't saving money if they don't work and you can't use them.

Moose

JDC123 wrote:There is absolutely no chance that a team would produce parts that haven't been developed first to 'save money'. You aren't saving money if they don't work and you can't use them.
Who says? It may be (and almost certainly is) cheaper to produce the part, stick it on the car, and use some flow-vis than it is to do hours and hours of analysis in the wind tunnel and on CFD with several highly paid engineers staring at the results and trying to interpret them. It's also significantly more accurate.

Hail22

Canadian GP - Montreal June 5-7:

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

wesley123

Moose wrote:
JDC123 wrote:There is absolutely no chance that a team would produce parts that haven't been developed first to 'save money'. You aren't saving money if they don't work and you can't use them.
Who says? It may be (and almost certainly is) cheaper to produce the part, stick it on the car, and use some flow-vis than it is to do hours and hours of analysis in the wind tunnel and on CFD with several highly paid engineers staring at the results and trying to interpret them. It's also significantly more accurate.
And waste precious track time and resources building something no one has got any idea whatsoever if it will actually work at all. Throwing spaghetti at the wall only works if you got no idea what you are doing to begin with, and that is exactly what isn't the case in F1.

It sure will be cheaper to just don't do any aero tests. Sadly enough these parts are too refined to actually make them work without windtunnel testing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

edu2703

Some pics from Canada!

BlackSwan

Morteza

Hungaroring - Thursday

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

matt21

AMUS

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

proteus

Are they missing a bolt in the fourth picture?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows