Williams FW37 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime

Re: Williams FW37 Mercedes

30 laps and counting for @ValtteriBottas #FW37

Jester Maroc

I am not sure if this is a noob question, but here goes...what is the purpose of the purple paint (or dust?) on the underside of the rear wing of the car?
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

JesperA

Jester Maroc wrote:I am not sure if this is a noob question, but here goes...what is the purpose of the purple paint (or dust?) on the underside of the rear wing of the car?
To visualize the airflow and in that particular part of the car it is important that the airflow is still attached to the underside of the wing, that is what they are seing with the Flow-Viz paint.

Jester Maroc

Very cool, thx for clarifying that Jesper! I figured it had something to do with analyzing the aerodynamics, just wasn't sure.
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Sevach

AnthonyG wrote:
Sevach wrote:Tricky airbox wing.
Was allready there last season.
The design changed, now it has a slot.

tomazy

Sevach wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:
Sevach wrote:Tricky airbox wing.
Was allready there last season.
The design changed, now it has a slot.

It had a slot later in the seson last year too, now it is maybe more visible becouse it is painted white on the top.

LookBackTime

Sevach

Williams seems to be exiting hot air on the gearbox(like everyone else) this season, the "traditional" Williams style exit is still there but much smaller.

Rear suspension lower triangle, driveshaft and control arm are all lined up at the same height and very close together, i think that's the rear suspension geometry change Pat was going on about in F1 Racing magazine.

I don't think this qualifies as a double floor anymore, but still quite a lot of space in the coke.

Mr Brooksy

Does anyone know whether Williams are running Brembo pads and discs this year like Massa was asking for last season? I've not seen any reference to it this year but from memory Symonds words were something like they didn't design the FW36 with Brembos in mind so they couldn't run them... suggesting to me that it might be something they will do for the FW37?
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Sevach

Mr Brooksy wrote:Does anyone know whether Williams are running Brembo pads and discs this year like Massa was asking for last season? I've not seen any reference to it this year but from memory Symonds words were something like they didn't design the FW36 with Brembos in mind so they couldn't run them... suggesting to me that it might be something they will do for the FW37?
I remember that, maybe someone has the info.

LookBackTime

Sevach

LookBackTime

Sevach wrote:
Mr Brooksy wrote:Does anyone know whether Williams are running Brembo pads and discs this year like Massa was asking for last season? I've not seen any reference to it this year but from memory Symonds words were something like they didn't design the FW36 with Brembos in mind so they couldn't run them... suggesting to me that it might be something they will do for the FW37?
I remember that, maybe someone has the info.
FW37 Technical Specifications
Brake system AP 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers with carbon discs and pads

roadie

Some comments of the car after driving it yesterday from BOT:
The car was consistent, so it’s a really good start to the week and we are pleased that it’s still a step up from the car we had at the end of last season. We know we have a lot to learn and improve, but we also know where these gains can come from, and have work to do with the car performance and the power unit. There are a lot of strengths in this car and we've made good progress in just one day, so I am very pleased.
http://www.williamsf1.com/Team/Media/Ne ... --Day-One/

He is positive which is great.