Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ME4ME

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

I disagree, Renault wouldn't let emotions hinder any on-track testing of 2016 components. They need to make advances for their own good.

I think it's as simple as the incompetence that got them into trouble, keeps them in trouble.

It has been weeks since they gave the green light for the upgrades at Austin. It's shocking they now need to hold back on parts of the new package. Not only do they need to test these items for next year, they also need to show the world that progress is being made, and get out of the negative spotlight they got themselves in.

djos

Agreed, just shows Renault are still not on top of things from an organisational pov.
"In downforce we trust"

rgava

I've read some posts here pointing that this last Renault PU needs a different cooling package.
Couldn't be that there is no possibility for RBR to make such integration for this race forcing them to use only the new ICE because the updated cooling package can be related with the turbocharger change?

rssh

Any details regarding what changes have been made to this PU?

I think if Redbull want a new PU in 2016 from Renault this engine better show improvement on the data on real circuit. It is a smart move to run old and new configuration and hope we see a dry weather for practice atleast

FW17

rgava wrote:I've read some posts here pointing that this last Renault PU needs a different cooling package.
Couldn't be that there is no possibility for RBR to make such integration for this race forcing them to use only the new ICE because the updated cooling package can be related with the turbocharger change?

If there was a different cooling package required, it would be up to red bull to Have made them.

If proper procedure was followed they would Have Known for months what the new engine would require, unlikely that they found out a different cooling package is required on the thursday of a race weekend.

If 11 tokens are not spent it is simply down to it not being ready.

Blackout

rssh wrote:Any details regarding what changes have been made to this PU?

I think if Redbull want a new PU in 2016 from Renault this engine better show improvement on the data on real circuit. It is a smart move to run old and new configuration and hope we see a dry weather for practice atleast
Ask M4ME and maybe djos, they seem to know exactly what the updates are :lol:

Blackout

Not ready for 2015? 2016? Yes and no. there are many possible reasons...
The changes are not necessirily all compatible with the current PU and could be planned for the 2016 PU... did you see the turbo? can the new turbo fit on the current engine/current chassis? would Renault waste tokens on an intermediate turbo version? is the turbo evolution complete or it needs more 2016 tokens to reach its final form? did Renault ever talk about a new turbo? etc

Juzh

Blackout wrote:
Not ready for 2015? 2016? Yes and no. there are many possible reasons...
The changes are not necessirily all compatible with the current PU and could be planned for the 2016 PU... did you see the turbo? can the new turbo fit on the current engine/current chassis? would Renault waste tokens on an intermediate turbo version? is the turbo evolution complete or it needs more 2016 tokens to reach its final form? did Renault ever talk about a new turbo? etc
How did all other manufacturers found areas of token improvement and only renault failed to do so?

desl

rssh wrote:Any details regarding what changes have been made to this PU?

AMuS reports that Renault used 7 tokens for changes at the internat combustion unit

They also wanted to use 4 tokens for a new turbocharger, but it's not yet released. Maybe the new turbo will appear at the last race.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 41891.html

Hail22

Free practice:

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

henra

kooleracer wrote:It wouldn't surprise if Red Bull 2016 deal only consists of the ICE engine and that Red Bull has to sort the rest of things out themselves with 2015 (pre- USGP update parts) or making there own turbocharger and MGU-K/H unit.
That is probably completely impossible to develop the complete Turbo/MGU-H/MGU-K between now and January. No way. This stuff is the really tricky part of the current PU. Honda is struggling now for two years to get that part sorted. No chance you do that in two to three Months.

bdeitemeyer

henra wrote:
kooleracer wrote:It wouldn't surprise if Red Bull 2016 deal only consists of the ICE engine and that Red Bull has to sort the rest of things out themselves with 2015 (pre- USGP update parts) or making there own turbocharger and MGU-K/H unit.
That is probably completely impossible to develop the complete Turbo/MGU-H/MGU-K between now and January. No way. This stuff is the really tricky part of the current PU. Honda is struggling now for two years to get that part sorted. No chance you do that in two to three Months.
You're assuming that they've only had 2-3 months to come to terms with that possibility...

LookBackTime

Jolle

I'm very surprised that they still use the air to air cooling. As a complete bystander, the long road the compressed air must travel sounds like a big disadvantage compared to the Ferrari engines and the AMG Mercedes outfit. They could change it without Renault and without spending tokens

Robbobnob

Consider the weight implications of such a change.

Perhaps the movement or the alteration of the heat exchangers requires more than just a swap out, and it would affect weight balance, the induction tubing and routing, the electrical cooling and positioning, and the gearbox cooling.

They will have have done a risk benefit analysis (cost wont be an issue) and decided that the gains (recovered induction losses) do not outweigh the positives by changing the induction of the engine.

This is probably the case as it is widely known that it is the ICE and the internal components that are the hamstring to this PU and that likely the induction pressure is governed by the knock limit of the ICE and so any modification is going to have negligible improvements vs the ability to keep a lower COM and 'ideal' streamlines for performance through the corners where Red Bulls typically outperform the competition.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna