Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
De Jokke

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

Didn't mclaren do the same?
http://gpupdate2.ed5.nl/large/258587.jpg
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

gandharva

More details (right click - view image). Thanks to f1fanatic for the pics!

- Impressive rake
- Interesting shark-fin
- Imho illegal camera mountings
- Batman still present
- Lotus style nose

CmdrVOODOO

gandharva wrote:More details (right click - view image). Thanks to f1fanatic for the pics!

- Impressive rake
- Interesting shark-fin
- Imho illegal camera mountings
- Batman still present
- Lotus style nose

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the cameras are mounted illegally. I don't see any sort of loophole that allows it. 3.7.9 specifically lists transparent windscreen, antenna or pitot tubes as the only exceptions to the rule. Are the pods not considered "bodywork" somehow?

Gianlu27

Some comparison :)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle

"Life is about passion thank you for sharing mine" Forza Michael!

aleks_ader

CmdrVOODOO wrote:How are the camera pods legal?

"3.7.9 No bodywork situated forward of the line A-A referred to Drawing 5 may extend above a diagonal line from a point on A-A and 625mm above the reference plane to a point 50mm rearward of the forward-most point of the impact absorbing structure defined in Article 15.4.3 and 300mm above the reference plane. No bodywork situated forward of the forward-most point of this diagonal line may be more than 300mm above the reference plane.
I belive those rule was there lasyear aldready.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

___
___

CmdrVOODOO wrote:3.7.9 specifically lists transparent windscreen, antenna or pitot tubes as the only exceptions to the rule. Are the pods not considered "bodywork" somehow?
Nail, meet head.
Article 1.4 wrote:Bodywork:
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras,
camera housings
and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the
engine, transmission and running gear.

CmdrVOODOO

___ wrote:
CmdrVOODOO wrote:3.7.9 specifically lists transparent windscreen, antenna or pitot tubes as the only exceptions to the rule. Are the pods not considered "bodywork" somehow?
Nail, meet head.
Article 1.4 wrote:Bodywork:
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras,
camera housings
and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the
engine, transmission and running gear.

There certainly are extensions to what is actually the camera pod, but...

"20.3.2 Any part provided by the Competitor for the purpose of aligning a camera or camera housing in positions 2 or 3 correctly will be considered part of the camera or housing provided it is being fitted for that sole purpose."

I'm just not sure that those extensions are not fitted to aid aero vs the purpose of aligning a camera or camera housing in "position 2" correctly. I guess it's probably a grey enough area to get away with it. I was just under the impression based on an article I read that those sort of camera pods (like what was on the W05, RB10 and F14-T) were going to be illegal with the 2015 nose reg changes.

turbof1

I'm trying to bend my head around how those camera pods are legal. This is the rule that has been specifically changed to this year (changes underlined):
20.3.4 When viewed from the side of the car, the entire camera or camera housing in position 2 shown in Drawing 6 must lie within a box formed by two vertical lines 150mm and 450mm forward of the front wheel centre line and two horizontal lines 325mm and 525mm above the reference plane. Furthermore, the entire camera or camera housing in position 2 must be mounted more than 150mm from car centre line.
#AeroFrodo

CmdrVOODOO

turbof1 wrote:I'm trying to bend my head around how those camera pods are legal. This is the rule that has been specifically changed to this year:
20.3.4 When viewed from the side of the car, the entire camera or camera housing in position 2
shown in Drawing 6 must lie within a box formed by two vertical lines 150mm and 450mm forward of the front wheel centre line and two horizontal lines 325mm and 525mm above the reference plane. Furthermore, the entire camera or camera housing in position 2 must be mounted more than 150mm from car centre line.
Yes, exactly, what McLaren did with the MP4-30's cameras seems to be what's at the maximum height and minimum width allowed based on 20.3.4.
Last edited by CmdrVOODOO on 29 Jan 2015, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

bonjon1979

How is this still a speculation thread. We've seen the car on track which is more than can be said for any of the others!

astracrazy

bonjon1979 wrote:How is this still a speculation thread. We've seen the car on track which is more than can be said for any of the others!
I think we normally move to the official thread once its officially released

turbof1

Correct. The change to the official topic is when the car gets officially unveiled, either by a presentation, or at the first day it gets tested (on a official test day, not something like a filming day.)

In this case I'll also move all the posts up from the first decent shots to the official topic.

That'll be at 31st. In the meanwhile just keep discussing here! Everything will be moved.
#AeroFrodo

f1316

Is it me or have Mercedes retained larger cooling intakes in the sidepods than Williams or lotus? Certainly doesn't look much smaller than last year.

astracrazy

it seems that way. they may be slightly smaller but that was staring at it. Wonder why? You'd think if any team was going to gain from making such adjustments they would be leading the pack?

The sidepods when comparing to the W05 in sideview look like they are much tighter, at least at the bottom - could this be the reason?

(if you take the point of the start of the e.cover fin down they look much tighter. In fact the whole sidepod looks much tighter, looking forward to seeing a overhead shot)
Last edited by astracrazy on 29 Jan 2015, 23:43, edited 4 times in total.

mantikos

f1316 wrote:Is it me or have Mercedes retained larger cooling intakes in the sidepods than Williams or lotus? Certainly doesn't look much smaller than last year.
Seemed slightly smaller, definitely lower and sharper than last year's sidepods