+1 and 1/2 turns

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
fxauger

+1 and 1/2 turns

What does it mean when Peter Bonnington says ''we are going to go one and a half turns for the option tyre unless you tell us different'' to Lewis Hamilton?

flynfrog

Re: +1 and 1/2 turns

wing AoA adjustment usually

Moose

fxauger wrote:What does it mean when Peter Bonnington says ''we are going to go one and a half turns for the option tyre unless you tell us different'' to Lewis Hamilton?
It's the number of times they're going to turn the screw that controls the front wing angle of attack. Bennington is saying "we expect that for the softer tyre, you're going to want more bite on the front to turn in better, if you're getting a different reaction from the car than you expect, tell us now".

Webber2011

Moose wrote:
fxauger wrote:What does it mean when Peter Bonnington says ''we are going to go one and a half turns for the option tyre unless you tell us different'' to Lewis Hamilton?
It's the number of times they're going to turn the screw that controls the front wing angle of attack. Bennington is saying "we expect that for the softer tyre, you're going to want more bite on the front to turn in better, if you're getting a different reaction from the car than you expect, tell us now".
Hey Moose, would it likely always be an increase on the front when going to softs ?
If so, has that always been the case or is it just the tyres and aero reg's these days ?

I'n no technical expert but I love the whole set up side of things, and how cars are affected by changes.

To me it points to the rear grip being the major force, if the front needs to be bumped up in such a manner.