2016 cars speculations

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Giando

2016 cars speculations

Hello, what about if we collect some preliminary speculations about the new cars here?
I mean for fun, and not with a 100% technically serious attitude since... well, it's just rumours stuff after all...

I'll start with this.

Italian reporter Leo Turrini, who is usually very well informed about everything happening in Maranello, wrote something interesting about the next Ferrari a few days ago.

http://blog.quotidiano.net/turrini/2015 ... rari-2016/

"La macchina che guideranno Seb e Kimi sarà molto diversa, nell'anteriore e nel posteriore.
Quando la vedrete vi meraviglierete.
"

"The car Seb and Kimi are going to drive will be very different, both in the front and back ends.
When you'll see it you'll be surprised."

I'll take a guess: Ferrari engineers observed Force India's late nose-cone very closely and are going to build a 'clever' evolution of that concept. It's just a personal sensation, based on the previous experience of the aero department with holes in the nose back in 2008. I simply can't see Ferrari choosing the small 'pe**s' solution.

GoranF1

Re: 2016 cars speculations

There is really nothing to speculate about,Mercedes domination has come to an end,Ferrari will as Turrini said make "big changes" and since we talk about Italians making those changes,chances are they will screw it up.
Mclaren will build a beast next year...they will make their small compressor work,they will spin it more than others do and gain advantage they first intened to,and Peter Prodrumou will finnaly build chassis and aero from the begining no compromise needed.
Redbull will have crazy Mario Illien engine which wont work,Renault Sport F1(Lotus) will have a good engine but crapy aero,Williams,Aston Martin,Sauber and TorroRosso will get 2nd class engines and Manor will reduce avg gap from 4 to 3 seconds per lap.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

BanMeToo

GoranF1 wrote:Mclaren will build a beast next year...they will make their small compressor work,they will spin it more than others do and gain advantage they first intened to,and Peter Prodrumou will finnaly build chassis and aero from the begining no compromise needed.

proteus

With turbine issue resolved we can expect performance upgrade similar to Ferraris achievement from last year to this season. Maybe a little bit more, due to better aero. My prediction is something like this:

1. Mercedes (not so dominating anymore, but still good enough to defend the title)
2. Ferrari (winning more races than this season, possible drivers championship)
3. Williams (getting stronger start and fading through the season, with few podium finishes, otherwise 10-20 points per race in average)
4. Mclaren/Redbull (good cars, but suffering due to engines still not optimised, slow start of the season but progression till the end, with possible podium finishes, even victory if the conditions will suit - still thinking Redbull will be infront)
5. Force India (steady points picking, with no pace on some of the tracks, money will be the problem)
6. Renault (average car, probably average drivers, it will all depend on the chasis)
7. STR (good chasis and reliable detuned Ferrari engine, they might even climb higher but due to new engine i cant say they will make as good chasis as they did this year)
8. Sauber/Haas (getting the points at the start of the season and tcouple of times later, especially i fear Haas will get cruel avakening by the modern F1 standards)
9. Manor (better pace, maybe points in Monaco or a race of attrition but still quite far from the next pair of cars on the grid)
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

ME4ME

"The car Seb and Kimi are going to drive will be very different, both in the front and back ends.
Probably push-rod suspension and short nose at the front, and a massively undercut rear thanks to the 2016 PU and gearbox. That's my guess anyway. :)

SiLo

ME4ME wrote:
Probably push-rod suspension and short nose at the front, and a massively undercut rear thanks to the 2016 PU and gearbox. That's my guess anyway. :)
So the same as most of the other cars then? They always say they are hugely different and then generally all look the same.
Felipe Baby!

GoranF1

proteus wrote:With turbine issue resolved we can expect performance upgrade similar to Ferraris achievement from last year to this season. Maybe a little bit more, due to better aero. My prediction is something like this:

1. Mercedes (not so dominating anymore, but still good enough to defend the title)
2. Ferrari (winning more races than this season, possible drivers championship)
3. Williams (getting stronger start and fading through the season, with few podium finishes, otherwise 10-20 points per race in average)
4. Mclaren/Redbull (good cars, but suffering due to engines still not optimised, slow start of the season but progression till the end, with possible podium finishes, even victory if the conditions will suit - still thinking Redbull will be infront)
5. Force India (steady points picking, with no pace on some of the tracks, money will be the problem)
6. Renault (average car, probably average drivers, it will all depend on the chasis)
7. STR (good chasis and reliable detuned Ferrari engine, they might even climb higher but due to new engine i cant say they will make as good chasis as they did this year)
8. Sauber/Haas (getting the points at the start of the season and tcouple of times later, especially i fear Haas will get cruel avakening by the modern F1 standards)
9. Manor (better pace, maybe points in Monaco or a race of attrition but still quite far from the next pair of cars on the grid)
I Agree whit everything except Williams...i see them falling fruther than this year,also Mclaren wright up there whit Ferrari,Redbull as well.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Just_a_fan

ME4ME wrote:
Probably a further development of their "Mercedes inspired" aero package at the front end. If they can close up to Mercedes then Seb stands a chance of the title - the Mercedes boys will be fighting each other and he'll slip by unnoticed. Just like 2007.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Javert

W07 may spot an higher chassis next year, Hamilton will test it at Abu Dhabi

This explains their experiment with Sduct-similar thing

nevill3

A very interesting and informed article about 2016 trends and things to look out for.

http://scarbsf1.com/?p=4526

Simple things to look for and explanations of why some trends may be in favour this year e.g.
TRENDS

‘Squarch’ Front Wing

Mercedes took the lead with their square arched (hence my term Squ-arch) front wing, the arched section forming part of the outswept design. Last season nearly every team with any budget followed the same concept of outswept shape and arched outboard wing profile. The next step is merely more exaggerated shapes and complexity in this area.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

GTO99

So, will they be removing the endplate?