Manor MRT05 Mercedes Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
denisjp

Re: Manor/Marussia MR04 Mercedes Speculation Thread

Does Manor use a wind-tunnel, or just the CFD?

continuum16

I think people may underestimate the potential of this car. I know the budget restraints will play a role, but a car with a couple years of development, overseen (partially at least) by Bob Bell, and developed through the year by Tombazis might give a few of the lower midfield teams a run for their money. I do not expect anything to remain from the current car, and there is probably 2-3 "free" seconds from the engine, so it should be much more competitive. Maybe even points?
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Paul

I think they still use McLaren's tunnel. Stopped being CFD-only long time ago.

Gridlock

NathanOlder wrote:Nice to see them pass the crash test by mid Jan. Looking hopeful for the firat test now. Hope they make the jump to catch Sauber & Co.
Without prognosticating too much, a crash test pass this early perhaps suggests not much evolution in the car (which is over 2 years old at this point) and another year with a significant performance delta, even with a Vito lump in the back?

Would rather it weren't so, but how else do Manor pass these this early? Or does it reflect a lack of resources driving a need to get early sign-off on the car?

Henk

They at least must have made a new car since the merc engine is in the back. I don't think they will fight anyone but a hungary type race could earn them a point if they are not more than a drive through away from the back of the field. They might also not have to unlap themselves if the safety car is deployed after 20 laps.

nevill3

I thought that once they decided to not launch a new car half way through last year they would have switched their focus to this years car, hence the early passing of the crash tests, rather than just using a "two year old car" as mentioned in an earlier post.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

ME4ME

One have to realize, pre-season testing starts in about 30 days. Manor hasn't the resources to do everything as late as the big players can. The chassi clearing the crash tests and being homologated doesn't mean the rest of the car is finished. There are probably thousands of things still to do for them. I see it only as positive that they try to make it to the first Barcelona test. Missing one out of two pre-season tests would put them on the back foot right from the start.

Gridlock

nevill3 wrote:I thought that once they decided to not launch a new car half way through last year they would have switched their focus to this years car, hence the early passing of the crash tests, rather than just using a "two year old car" as mentioned in an earlier post.
Depends on whether MR04 is a clean-sheet design or not, if not then yes we're talking about a 2-year-old design being updated for '16 and thus passing the tests easily/early, as a known quantity. As with most posts here in January though the only fully correct answer is 'wait for February' ;)

andylaurence

denisjp wrote:Does Manor use a wind-tunnel, or just the CFD?
Both. They used the McLaren wind tunnel (and assume they still do). In mid-April, they were attempting to reassemble the 2015 model that was sold at auction. I don't know at what point they decided to cut their losses on 2015 and focus on 2016. There are thousands of parts to be printed in order to assemble a whole model in addition to the spine. They did over 250 boxes of 3D printed parts for the MR03, each of which contained probably a dozen pieces as a bare minimum...

MrCelroy

According to this article, the new chassis designation will be called "MRT" :

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/spo ... 39762.html
(4th paragraph)
Welcome to the exciting and wonderful world of automobile racing. Enjoy!

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

cmF1

MrCelroy wrote:According to this article, the new chassis designation will be called "MRT" :

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/spo ... 39762.html
(4th paragraph)

MR T?
Crazy fools!!
プラスとマイナス

Facts Only

Yeah but they'll be able to build the car from an old forklift and the contents of a shed.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Gridlock

Facts Only wrote:Yeah but they'll be able to build the car from an old forklift and the contents of a shed.
Didn't we already know this*? :twisted:

For clarity, the manufacturer and therefore team name is Manor Racing Mercedes (barring any title sponsors) and the chassis the MRT-01?

* With affection!

MrCelroy

More info on the chassis name change : The re-branded Manor Racing team's chassis is to be called MRT - an abbreviation for 'Manor Racing Team - sources have confirmed.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/manor ... ge-668887/
Welcome to the exciting and wonderful world of automobile racing. Enjoy!