Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2016 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.
#AeroFrodo

FrukostScones

Re: Toro Rosso STR11 Speculation Thread

with the 2015 Ferrrai engine, Max Verstappen and maybe some ressource input surge they will annoy some top teams?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ME4ME

Remember Barcelona? Toro Rosso qualified very well, but went backwards in the race because they simply were dead slow on the straights. They got the balance between lap time and top speed wrong at that weekend, and have since then found a decent middle ground, but I imagine they can be very quick with the Ferrari 2015 Monza-spec PU which surely is a good 40-50 bhp more powerful than the 2015 Renault. I think they can bother Red Bull and Mclaren next year, maybe even Williams and Force India.

One thing that will surely improve massively is reliability. Should be fun to see a fair fight between Verstappen and Sainz. :)

ferkan

They will probably use new PU (the one with 4 tokens spent last week), not Monza spec. Even better =D>

Joseki

ferkan wrote:They will probably use new PU (the one with 4 tokens spent last week), not Monza spec. Even better =D>
It's probably the Austin spec for time reason.

skoop

ferrari engine confirmed =D>

turbof1

Re: Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari Speculation Thread

Topic title updated.
#AeroFrodo

F1NAC

I just hope that Ferrari will sent some of their engineers to keep all informations in secret. (not leaking to RedBull)

Godius

Maybe Shell can provide STR with specific fuel, given the Dutch origin of the company and the Verstappen connection.

If I recall correctly, Williams did the same thing with Petrobras being the sponsor of the team and Petronas were providing the fuel.

giantfan10

F1NAC wrote:I just hope that Ferrari will sent some of their engineers to keep all informations in secret. (not leaking to RedBull)
they will more than likely never see the engine internals..... engine suppliers deliver the engine to the GPs and pick them back up after the race is over... i'm willing to bet a manufacturer's engineer is there to make sure the costumer team doesnt do any funny business throughout the entire weekend.

notsofast

Is my understanding correct that Verstappen and Sainz will have the same engine as Vettel?

kaepernickus

notsofast wrote:Is my understanding correct that Verstappen and Sainz will have the same engine as Vettel?
No they will get 2015 spec, Vettel will get an improved 2016 spec.

I don't expect too much from STR next year as they will be down on power compared to at least seven teams. Many of those have had very good cars this year and then you still have the two dark horses Renault and Honda that might very well jump them in power as well.

So points will be really hard to get for them next year.

giantfan10

kaepernickus wrote:
notsofast wrote:Is my understanding correct that Verstappen and Sainz will have the same engine as Vettel?

I don't expect too much from STR next year as they will be down on power compared to at least seven teams. Many of those have had very good cars this year and then you still have the two dark horses Renault and Honda that might very well jump them in power as well.

i'm not so sure i agree... with a much weaker engine they were mixing it up with red bull,lotus and force india... red bull and lotus will be running renaults 2016 PU which i seriously doubt will be a better PU than the 2015 ferrari unit.. my guess is they they will be a thorn in Williams side. Secondly i highly doubt that Ferrari will just not develop the 2015 PU in 2016.

Sevach

giantfan10 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:I just hope that Ferrari will sent some of their engineers to keep all informations in secret. (not leaking to RedBull)
they will more than likely never see the engine internals..... engine suppliers deliver the engine to the GPs and pick them back up after the race is over... i'm willing to bet a manufacturer's engineer is there to make sure the costumer team doesnt do any funny business throughout the entire weekend.
True, Honda didn't get anything from Mclaren running Mercedes the previous year.

kaepernickus

giantfan10 wrote:
kaepernickus wrote:

i'm not so sure i agree... with a much weaker engine they were mixing it up with red bull,lotus and force india... red bull and lotus will be running renaults 2016 PU which i seriously doubt will be a better PU than the 2015 ferrari unit.. my guess is they they will be a thorn in Williams side. Secondly i highly doubt that Ferrari will just not develop the 2015 PU in 2016.
You didn't read my post carefully.

I called Renault (and Honda) dark horses considering the quality of their 2016 engines. So I didn't count them in saying seven teams will have better engines than STR.

Seven teams (Ferrari, Haas and Sauber [2016 Ferrari engine + in-season dev] as well as Mercedes, Williams, Force India and Manor [2016 Mercedes engine + in-season dev]) will have stronger engines than Toro Rosso [2015 Ferrari engine - no in-season dev].
So points will be hard to get, unless half of those teams screw up their 2016 car.
Mercedes, Ferrari, Williams and Force India (B-spec) did already have very strong cars this year, Haas is close to Ferrari and Manor has a tech deal with Williams for next season.

And again: Ferrari developing their engine for 2016 doesn't help STR as they are getting year-old (2015 spec) engines. It's basically what Manor got this year.
Last edited by kaepernickus on 05 Dec 2015, 19:23, edited 2 times in total.