Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Leendert82

Re: Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari Speculation Thread

Do we know roughly how much longer the wheelbase would be and how this would impact the performance (downforce eg)? I didnt notice that in 2015 Ferarri and Sauber were driving with longer wheelbase.

toraabe

Leendert82 wrote:Do we know roughly how much longer the wheelbase would be and how this would impact the performance (downforce eg)? I didnt notice that in 2015 Ferarri and Sauber were driving with longer wheelbase.
Don't forget that the MGU H/K is located at the wery rear of the 2015 engine. And so the oiltank. This means that the weight distribution of that engine is not so good as the Renault and the Merc.

f1316

I think if you look at the 2015 cars, the Ferrari was on the shorter end - the mclaren appeared to be much longer (to my eyes at least). The Mercedes seemed to be the shortest but I don't get the impression Ferrari were unusually long.

I think this whole conversation is a bit of a red herring. We all know there are pros and cons to both and different teams have had successes and failures of differing wheelbases depending on the competing tradeoffs of the regulations.

Yes, it would be ideal to get a nimble, shorter car with great turn in for some corners, but aero needs might make it easier to put more downforce on a longer chassis. Likewise, horsepower is the dominant performance differentiator at the moment, so teams will happily trade a bit of length for a bunch more horses.

Big Mangalhit

Hi everybody,

On the topic of the STR11 adaptation to the ferrari PU I do wonder on one thing.
Almost everybody spoke highly of the new radiators on the SF-15T in terms of compaction of the cooling power, and I think it was noticeable that the Sauber had maybe one of the largest side pods. Is it possible that the Ferrari engine (that was such an upgrade from 2014) was somewhat demanding more cooling than the other PU?
Ferrari still did it because they had that clever sidepods but maybe that hurt Sauber chassis and possibly that will do the same for STR.
I still think it will be a positive tradeoff from the Renault engine just maybe they won't be able to design such an amazing chassis with the Ferrari cooling/size demands to do the ranking leapfrog some people anticipate.

toraabe

f1316 wrote:I think if you look at the 2015 cars, the Ferrari was on the shorter end - the mclaren appeared to be much longer (to my eyes at least). The Mercedes seemed to be the shortest but I don't get the impression Ferrari were unusually long.

I think this whole conversation is a bit of a red herring. We all know there are pros and cons to both and different teams have had successes and failures of differing wheelbases depending on the competing tradeoffs of the regulations.

Yes, it would be ideal to get a nimble, shorter car with great turn in for some corners, but aero needs might make it easier to put more downforce on a longer chassis. Likewise, horsepower is the dominant performance differentiator at the moment, so teams will happily trade a bit of length for a bunch more horses.
The Split turbo as anyone here knows that the PU106 series engine are equipped with, together with the oil tank in the front, and the position of the MKU-K makes the package the most compact. Ferrari if they want to win, they have to adopt the same packaging, so do Renault and Mario Illien knows this wery well. Honda also has to put the compressor in the front of the vee...

f1316

toraabe wrote:
f1316 wrote:I think if you look at the 2015 cars, the Ferrari was on the shorter end - the mclaren appeared to be much longer (to my eyes at least). The Mercedes seemed to be the shortest but I don't get the impression Ferrari were unusually long.

The Split turbo as anyone here knows that the PU106 series engine are equipped with, together with the oil tank in the front, and the position of the MKU-K makes the package the most compact. Ferrari if they want to win, they have to adopt the same packaging, so do Renault and Mario Illien knows this wery well. Honda also has to put the compressor in the front of the vee...
I think that's a very facile piece of analysis. Yes, that may be the most efficient packaging we've yet seen, but that does not mean it has to be adopted to win.

Ferrari themselves made the fundamental error in 2014 of prioritising packaging for aerodynamic efficiency over power and this was proven to be a mistake. If, for example, someone comes up with a layout that is less compact but produces significantly more power, they will certainly follow this route - it's simply a matter of striking the right balance.

So no, I don't agree that all manufacturers *have to* follow this layout; all the evidence we have so far indicates it's the best, but that does not mean to say Honda can't find something creative that works better for them once they've ironed out the kinks.

wuzak

toraabe wrote:
Leendert82 wrote:Do we know roughly how much longer the wheelbase would be and how this would impact the performance (downforce eg)? I didnt notice that in 2015 Ferarri and Sauber were driving with longer wheelbase.
Don't forget that the MGU H/K is located at the wery rear of the 2015 engine. And so the oiltank. This means that the weight distribution of that engine is not so good as the Renault and the Merc.
I believe that the oil tank was moved forward at the beginning of 2015.

Eniasqurku

yes indeed

Eniasqurku

wuzak wrote:
toraabe wrote:
I believe that the oil tank was moved forward at the beginning of 2015.
thats true but they also changed the mgu k positioning at the left side of the engine in spite of they never raced it. but it is homologated as so.

FrukostScones

Omnicorse.it:

Gearbox by TR on TR11

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

Omnicorse.it

Encouraging windtunnel data for STR 11

also: is a mid season switch to 2016 Ferrrai power possible....

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

FrukostScones

hamilton#1

Max just told on dutch television that he expects 0.8 - 1.0 seconds from the Ferrari PU and he expects that their further improvements will be greater than others.

Manoah2u

hamilton#1 wrote:Max just told on dutch television that he expects 0.8 - 1.0 seconds from the Ferrari PU and he expects that their further improvements will be greater than others.
so let's say compared to last year 1.0-1.2 seconds benefit total from aero combined with engine power. where would that leave them compared to the rest of the field ? and what is the new Ferrari PU worth? if they get that mid-season, could we be seeing a 1.5 second gain total for them?

obviously not calculating tire compound gain as this will be the same for everyone.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

denisjp

They won't get PU 2016. It would require to much changes to the STR11, due to different sizes and dispositions of the PU elements.