Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dr_cooke

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

godlameroso wrote:Ferrari gained a little over a second between the final race of 2014 and the final race of 2015, given that aero went backwards from 2014-2015, they gained roughly between 1 - 1.3 seconds of pace from the engine alone. If Honda makes a similar leap (~1 second from the new power unit), and they make a half second gain from the chassis, they'll still be a second off last year's pace. I don't think that Mercedes will improve much, maybe .25 - .5 seconds per lap, as they barely improved from 2014 - 2015. This means that the MP4-31 will start the season about ~1.25 seconds off the pace, if they make a similar leap to Ferrari from last year. Full season of development and they could probably bring that down to .5 seconds if they make a breakthrough sometime mid season around the European GP.

Realistically I expect them to be within .7 sec per lap slower than Mercedes by the end of 2016, but who knows, it may be more and it may be less.
That seems reasonable calculation, but HONDA's shape in 2015 was much worse than FERRARI's in 2014, so their leap forward in 2016 should be bigger if they have really found their fundamental issues and solved them. If that is true, they could be in the range of 0.7-1 s behind at the beginning of the season (fingers crossed)

bonjon1979

I think it's dream land to suggest they'll be within a second. Merc aren't going to stand still and they have the added advantage of not having to fix fundamental reliability problems. Next year, teams are allowed to use 3 engines. Last year Mclaren used 23. There is so much to do on so many fronts, it'll be a miracle if they're in the top ten regularly for the first fly away races.

dot235

~1.2s to Mercs at the end of the season seems somewhat (barely) realistic.

But 0.7s is just ludicrous.

KingHamilton01

bonjon1979 wrote:I think it's dream land to suggest they'll be within a second. Merc aren't going to stand still and they have the added advantage of not having to fix fundamental reliability problems. Next year, teams are allowed to use 3 engines. Last year Mclaren used 23. There is so much to do on so many fronts, it'll be a miracle if they're in the top ten regularly for the first fly away races.
I think you underestimate McLaren being capable of being in the top 10 at the start of the season, if they make the gain's on the PU side then I think they will comfortably make the top 10! They will have manage expectation early season but I feel they will be moving more towards top 6 finishes not looking towards being inside the top 10!
McLaren Mercedes

godlameroso

bonjon1979 wrote:I think it's dream land to suggest they'll be within a second. Merc aren't going to stand still and they have the added advantage of not having to fix fundamental reliability problems. Next year, teams are allowed to use 3 engines. Last year Mclaren used 23. There is so much to do on so many fronts, it'll be a miracle if they're in the top ten regularly for the first fly away races.
You realize Mercedes only improved a quarter of a second per lap in an entire year. I don't think they'll take much of a step forward, it's getting harder and harder to find time.
Saishū kōnā

bonjon1979

I think with merc it's very difficult to read the true pace they had as they were only using the performance they needed to get the results whilst saving engine life. It is undeniable that Mclaren-honda had some major design related reliability problems across last season. These reliability issues have to be dealt with so their job has not just been to increase performance over the course of the year. The sort of leaps in performance people are talking about here would be incredible, good luck to them if they're able to pull it off but personally I think it's dreamland.

Thunder

@seezung: 99.9 % sure that's a No.

Even Jenson and Fernando don't seem to know yet. :mrgreen: https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 0211441665
Last edited by Thunder on 17 Feb 2016, 11:39, edited 2 times in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Bomber_Pilot

A new Arrows. I would love to see more orange. A mix of the twitted image and this one

Andres125sx

taperoo2k wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
This reaks of just a pure speculation article.
Well, fits right with a speculation topic don't you think :P.

In all seriousness, it doesn't really sound thrustworthy to me either. You can say it's at best a calculated guess since it got confirmed the TC will be upgraded, but that's not a guarantee either it'll be unreliable.
Even if the TC is unreliable at first Honda can improve it as the season progresses with the aim of gathering data on it with 2017 in mind.
I'm expecting the MP4-31 will be faster than last year's car but reliability is the question mark. So it's fairly easy to speculate that it'll be fast but unreliable in the press aka educated guesswork no need for inside sources. Though unlikely you can't discount McLaren are playing journalists to build up a certain expectation only for them to smash it in testing and the first race for PR.

What I hope Honda gives McLaren is a reliable power unit so they can get on with perfecting the MP4-31 so they can iron out issues on the McLaren side of the equation i.e. PP works his magic and steps out of the shadow of Newey.
I know what you mean, and actually agree generally speaking. But you can´t assume any article in the press is just educated guessword, specially when they talk about detailed info.

Do you think saying turbine rpm will decrease from 120k to 100k rpm is guesswork? I can´t.

There must be some reality in this, or they wouldn´t speculate with detailed numbers.

IMO journalist try to get first hand info constantly, but obviously they can´t get it daily, so all those days they don´t get first hand info they need to speculate and write about "something may be truth but is just guesswork" as you said. But from time to time they really get first hand info.

Problem is distingishing the maybe 10% of articles with real info from the 90% wich is just BS. But to me, when they provide detailed info about specific parts, that must be real or very close to reality.... or at least what someone from the inside told him. If that insider was just trying to confuse his rivals with fake info is a different story, this is F1 after all :?

chenpei24730

seezung wrote:2016 livery?
https://twitter.com/Autosporthelmet/sta ... 4080294912" target="_blank
Not only as slow as small teams, but also looks like one of them. Well done!

proteus

chenpei24730 wrote:
https://twitter.com/Autosporthelmet/sta ... 4080294912" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
I dare u to design a better and faster car, with better engine. And dont forget to make it beautifull.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Scuderia1967

chenpei24730 wrote:
https://twitter.com/Autosporthelmet/sta ... 4080294912" target="_blank" target="_blank
Calm down, it's just a fan render

cmF1

chenpei24730 wrote:
https://twitter.com/Autosporthelmet/sta ... 4080294912" target="_blank" target="_blank
alright mate, chill out!!
プラスとマイナス

FrukostScones

so.. found on autosports forums ... Honda to start testing with 2015 ICE coupled with 2016 Hybrid systems...
dafuq:

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url" target="_blank

ah. already posted in th eengine thread...

but worrying news from Honda lately.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.