A more fair DRS?

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Nickel

A more fair DRS?

With DRS being widely considered a gimmick at best and more and more people calling for its demise, I wanted to discuss what might be a way to keep the concept but do away with its artificial nature. I like the idea of moveable aero, as it seems inane that with all the technology of our time, the cars should have to drag all those downforce generating devices all the way down the straits. I know many don't care for the term at all, but passing aside the concept of DRS ties in nicely with efficiency.

With that in mind, how would you keep it but take away the artificiality currently surrounding the concept? For me, I would like to see drivers given a set number of uses per race, say one per lap (60 uses in a 60 lap race). Use would be completely unregulated in a perfect world for me. Let the driver decide where it's safe to use. If rulemakers must, they could define a handful of places on the calendar where it's use would be prohibited, like the tunnel at Monaco. Free to use it multiple times in a lap or not at all for a few laps, up to each driver. Can be used as a passing tool, defensive tool, fuel saving tool, or for people like Vettel who like to collect fastest laps. The key being, same allocation for all, freedom to use as you see fit.

I'd like to hear others' thoughts, but I'd appreciate if the discussion stayed away from talk of ditching the concept entirely. I understand that is the POV of many and respect that, I just don't feel the forum needs another thread about that.

natehall

Re: A more fair DRS?

Nickel wrote:With DRS being widely considered a gimmick at best and more and more people calling for its demise, I wanted to discuss what might be a way to keep the concept but do away with its artificial nature. I like the idea of moveable aero, as it seems inane that with all the technology of our time, the cars should have to drag all those downforce generating devices all the way down the straits. I know many don't care for the term at all, but passing aside the concept of DRS ties in nicely with efficiency.

With that in mind, how would you keep it but take away the artificiality currently surrounding the concept? For me, I would like to see drivers given a set number of uses per race, say one per lap (60 uses in a 60 lap race). Use would be completely unregulated in a perfect world for me. Let the driver decide where it's safe to use. If rulemakers must, they could define a handful of places on the calendar where it's use would be prohibited, like the tunnel at Monaco. Free to use it multiple times in a lap or not at all for a few laps, up to each driver. Can be used as a passing tool, defensive tool, fuel saving tool, or for people like Vettel who like to collect fastest laps. The key being, same allocation for all, freedom to use as you see fit.

I'd like to hear others' thoughts, but I'd appreciate if the discussion stayed away from talk of ditching the concept entirely. I understand that is the POV of many and respect that, I just don't feel the forum needs another thread about that.
How about just simply having movable front and rear wings and let the drivers control it like they do brake bias with a potentiometer with X number of settings, let the teams set minimum and maximum wing angles and off they trot

proteus

No DRS is a fair DRS. They should let them race as they allways did.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

skoop

i think drs is not a bad idea. just allow the drivers to use it when ever they want

edit: of course this would decrease the number of overtakes, but i don't care for the artificial overtakes where one car just drives by the other on a Long straight

OO7
OO7

skoop wrote:i think drs is not a bad idea. just allow the drivers to use it when ever they want

edit: of course this would decrease the number of overtakes, but i don't care for the artificial overtakes where one car just drives by the other on a Long straight
If drivers are allowed to use it whenever they want, then there really is no point in having it at all.

Nickel

Blaze1 wrote:
skoop wrote:i think drs is not a bad idea. just allow the drivers to use it when ever they want

If drivers are allowed to use it whenever they want, then there really is no point in having it at all.
If they could use it wherever they want, we'd have something like qualifying in year one of DRS, as well as during f-duct days, where bravery is rewarded. There's merit to that.

mclaren111

I also like the idea.

Start with 2 per lap (standard attack or defend) or save up to use later depending on strategy

Xwang

I was thinking to something a bit different.
A standard (furnished by FIA) wing to chassis connection device both for front and wing assemblies which controls the angle of attack (AOA) of wings so that to not exceed a maximum value of vertical load (defined by FIA rules).
In this way the car which follows another should be automatically able to have the same wings loads because the reduction of dynamic pressure will be compensated by the increased AOA.
In this way the leading and following car have the same vertical load (wing generated one, if one or the other have a better underflow aero, it keeps that advantage).

mrluke

I cant see a good reason not to have DRS available for qualy across the whole lap.

Nickel

mrluke wrote:I cant see a good reason not to have DRS available for qualy across the whole lap.
Neither can I. I find the argument that the drivers would use it in unsafe ways horribly moronic.

I personally favor unlimited, unrestricted qualifying use, followed by a limited number of uses for the race. Say 2.5x number of laps, with deployment unrestricted. Anywhere on the lap, as many or as little uses a lap as desired so long as total uses is respected.

turbof1

mrluke wrote:I cant see a good reason not to have DRS available for qualy across the whole lap.
DRS was fully available during free practice and qualy in 2011 and 2012. However, some drivers complained it was a bit dangerous, so the FIA banned in 2013 any use of it outside the normal DRS zones, during all the sessions.

A little bit childish though. I don't remember any DRS-related accidents during qualy in that period. Back in 2010 they were apparently happy with drivers taking eau rouge with a stalled rear wing and only one hand on the steering wheel.
#AeroFrodo

krisfx

What about something similar to the DTM rules?

You have DRS when one second behind and can use it once (increased to 3 times in 2015) on the lap but no restriction on where.

I've not really ever liked DRS and I don't think overtakes are necessary. An overtake is like a goal, if we watched football with 25 goals a game it'd be boring, rather than concentrating on overtaking, their attention should be on allowing battles.

I'd rather one amazing overtake than 15 straight line drag race passes where the lead car has no option but to give up the place.

timbo

More fair DRS system would actually be a DLPS -- downforce loss prevention system. As the problem with contemporary F1 cars (and it goes back for 20+ years) is that the cars in traffic lose DF and can't follow each other through corners.
In 2009 it was allowed to change AoA of the front wing to combat loss of the front downforce in traffic. IMO a better implementation of this idea, i.e. cars with active front and rear wings and advanced electronics controlling aero balance can greatly improve handling characterics in traffic. The system should be totally autonomous and invisible to the driver, i.e. the only thing driver should feel is that it is easier to follow other cars.

krisfx

timbo wrote:More fair DRS system would actually be a DLPS -- downforce loss prevention system. As the problem with contemporary F1 cars (and it goes back for 20+ years) is that the cars in traffic lose DF and can't follow each other through corners.
In 2009 it was allowed to change AoA of the front wing to combat loss of the front downforce in traffic. IMO a better implementation of this idea, i.e. cars with active front and rear wings and advanced electronics controlling aero balance can greatly improve handling characterics in traffic. The system should be totally autonomous and invisible to the driver, i.e. the only thing driver should feel is that it is easier to follow other cars.

There was pretty much an entire thread on why that didn't work in 09 & this concept

timbo

krisfx wrote:There was pretty much an entire thread on why that didn't work in 09 & this concept
That doesn't mean it cannot work in future if adequate changes are made to the system.