Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
C Plinius Secundus

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

The "lenght discussion" is becoming rather juvenile. The last time I saw a group of guys discussing about which "machine" was longer, we were all teenage boys at school :)

Soon there'll be data about wheelbase, lenght, etc. In the meantime, if someone insists in comparing images in an attempt to estimate the wheelbase, etc, I'd suggest you to use the wheel reem as a constant parameter: 13", since the shape of the tyres varies slightly from one season to another (different side structure), and we don't know the pressure they use for the picture sessions .

giantfan10

kreuzass wrote:My thoughts why ferrari has changed the design of the nose and the height of the front of the monocoque:
They do not need the downforce on the front axel anymore which was created (additionally to the downforce created by the front wing) by the long flat nose... as part of changing the front suspension and the mass centre of the car.
No.The design of the Nose and the slimmer coke bottle shape with the defined undercut at the rear suspension were all designed to allow more air to flow to the back of the car specifically over the diffuser. the more air flowing over the top of the diffuser the more efficient the diffuser becomes . This is downforce with minimal drag, in addition the diffuser provides at least half the downforce of an F1 car.
the nose style that ferrari chose has its benefits, not only does it allow more air through to the rear of the car but the fact that the thumb nose also extends backwards before cutting off is to better control airflow beneath the nose.
the SF16-H should create much more downforce than the SF15-T via the diffuser alone .remains to be seen on track though.

kreuzass

Are we talking past each other? Not sure at the moment.

giantfan10

kreuzass wrote:Are we talking past each other? Not sure at the moment.
no we are not, you said that Ferrari changed the nose because they didnt need downforce at the front of the car anymore and because of the mass centre of the car. I explained to you why the nose was changed and how that change affects the rest of the car.
the long nose that the SF15-T had produced little or no downforce in my opinion.The top of the entire nose was convex to allow air to flow around it to get to the back of the car

kreuzass

Now i realise what you mean. Had in mind that the top of the nose was completely flat and not slightly curved. You are right. My fault.

Hail22

Motorsport.com Matt Somerfield has teed up with Giorgio Piola to delve further into the SF16-H

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech- ... ar-674606/

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

F1NAC

Now important question. Did they manage to do full prono day without glitches?

Juzh

bonjon1979 wrote:The car is going to be + or - 20cm to last year so what the hell does it matter anyway.
20 cm is huge. Or did you mean mm.

Gridlock

..Especially when one of your drivers can't win races in an understeering car.

f1316

Image seems to be gone from Twitter!

But yeah, very interested to see how they get on today.

aral

kreuzass wrote:
gilgen wrote:... because it is something that does not matter. all the cars are built to the rules and there will always be slight differences in measurements. but it will not make any difference in performance!
What? Of course it does.
please explain how.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

FrukostScones

diffuser already broken :mrgreen: