Williams FW38 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime

Re: Williams FW38 Mercedes

Morteza

Abu Dhabi - Thursday

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

LookBackTime

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsTech
Bracket on the exhausts suggests aero tests in FP1

LookBackTime

LookBackTime

Williams detail(s)

LookBackTime

Williams detail(s)

LookBackTime

LookBackTime

Abu Dhabi circuit bump caused Bottas F1 suspension failure

Valtteri Bottas's suspension problem in the Formula 1 season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was caused by the Finn hitting a bump on the track.

The Finn climbed to ninth in the early stages of the race having overtaken Williams team-mate Felipe Massa, before dropping back to 11th and then retiring on lap seven.

Chief technical officer Pat Symonds suspects the problem was similar to the ones Williams suffered during last year's United States Grand Prix weekend.

This was when both Bottas and Massa suffered failures of the rear inertia damper after hitting a bump at Turn 11 at Austin, which led to changes being made to avoid a repeat of the problem.

"It was a particular bump which looks like it triggered it," said Symonds when asked by Autosport what the cause was.

"Abu Dhabi is quite bumpy, but it should be able to handle it quite easily.

"It's probably similar to what happened in America in 2015, but we won't know until we strip everything.

"We put a lot of containment in place after that incident [at Austin] to try and stop that sort of thing happening again and it does look quite similar."

Symonds added that he did not believe it was a driver-induced failure, because Bottas had not been off track and the high load that caused the impact wasn't from hitting a kerb too hard.

Bottas confirmed he had no warning of the failure or explanation for the cause.

"No, nothing unusual, no big kerbing or anything," Bottas told Autosport when asked if there was an obvious cause or unusual impact before the failure.

"From my feeling, it was a couple of laps after I got past Felipe.

"Under braking into Turn 9, the rear just started to move a lot and it got worse and worse."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... as-failure

PlatinumZealot

Conservative design approach came back and bit them in the but.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LookBackTime

Bottas: Upgrade failures key to Williams' 2016 downfall
By: Valentin Khorounzhiy, News Editor

Williams driver Valtteri Bottas says that a lack of sufficient performance gains from upgrades, coupled with a focus on 2017 development, was what consigned the team to fifth place this year.

Williams was the third-best team in F1 in 2014 and 2015, but slipped down the order in 2016, losing out to Force India in the battle for fourth in the second half of the campaign.

For Bottas, the author of the Grove-based team's sole podium in 2016, the balance of power was tipped towards Force India after the European leg of the season, when Williams' upgrades didn't work out as intended.

"It was around mid-season," Bottas said. "The European season, the end of the European season, the upgrades we hoped would bring us positions were not that bad compared to now - but then a couple of the big upgrades didn't turn out to be that much better.

"If you start solving those problems, it takes time - and that costs time in the next year car's development. Then the team opted to focus on next year and that was the turning point. The failure of upgrades."

The Finn insisted, however, that he had no qualms about the decision to focus on 2017.

"Sure it's tricky to, for example, be not able to get to Q3 in normal conditions, it's tough. And when in the race you don't have the pace, it can be pretty challenging mentally - but it's normal in Formula 1.

"It's where you are as a team and, no matter what, as a driver you need to squeeze out everything from the package and have a good race. It's tricky but I really hope it pays off next year.

"Now I've seen more stuff from the new car and the regulations and how many changes, I'm actually glad we switched focus early. I'm sure there's no harm chasing it early for next year. Hopefully we get better results next year."

Bottas warned, however, that Williams needs to address the fact its upgrades had underdelivered, as strong in-season development is expected to be crucial in 2017.

"Definitely something has to change. We understand that something has been wrong in terms of the upgrades, how we measure things, that they should be better in theory but then they are not – which was not the case last year or the year before.

"So something has not worked correctly, and definitely that is a big thing to improve, especially next year when the cars are new and the rate of improvement of everyone is going to be big.

"I think next year, from first race to last race, is going to be a massive development and if you're developing less than the others, then it is going to be tricky."

Additional reporting by Jonathan Noble

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/botta ... ll-858533/

LookBackTime

Under the skin of the Williams FW38

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/magazine-tec ... -fw38.html