Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DiogoBrand

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

PhillipM wrote:They already have a passive system, every team does, even Manor.
Which is hardly surprising in a sport where every milimiter of suspension travel is calculated and programmed to make the car go faster around a track.

Mark4211

Mercedes 2016 - Race start procedures, annotated
https://vimeo.com/190263751

sprint car76

Would be interesting to see the same view of hamiltons car to see if anything has changed in his procedure to cure the problem he had with his starts. Has last two starts have been very good which i think is down to more than just him practicing.

DiogoBrand

sprint car76 wrote:Would be interesting to see the same view of hamiltons car to see if anything has changed in his procedure to cure the problem he had with his starts. Has last two starts have been very good which i think is down to more than just him practicing.
In fact it's hard to believe that both of Mercedes' drivers' starts are exclusively their fault at all.

Fifty

Mark4211 wrote:Mercedes 2016 - Race start procedures, annotated
https://vimeo.com/190263751
These rock! Thank you!

Just_a_fan

sprint car76 wrote:Would be interesting to see the same view of hamiltons car to see if anything has changed in his procedure to cure the problem he had with his starts. Has last two starts have been very good which i think is down to more than just him practicing.
Watching the moment of get-away in Rosberg's car, the whole thing appears to be automatic. He dials in 11.5k revs and then as the lights go out he releases the clutch, the revs naturally drop to about 6k and then start to build with speed.

It looks like the slow starts have been a calibration issue of some form. Both drivers have suffered during the season. My guess is that the clutch has a narrow calibration window to get perfect starts. I wonder if the practice starts they do are the key factor. Maybe that's where Nico gets a slightly better calibration. No idea, of course, as none of us know the details of the Mercedes systems.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

popovic94

I think that posible diference in starts is in clutch warmup. It is posible that clutch haves narow window of operating temperature, so at 4:20 when Rosberg is warming up clutch maybe diference is in that time that driver spends warming it up.
sorry because of english :-)
"Whoever you are, no matter what social position you have, rich or poor, always show great strength and determination, and always do everything with much love and deep faith in God. One day you will reach your goal." Ayrton Senna

Jolle

popovic94 wrote:I think that posible diference in starts is in clutch warmup. It is posible that clutch haves narow window of operating temperature, so at 4:20 when Rosberg is warming up clutch maybe diference is in that time that driver spends warming it up.
I imagine, for such a simple concept (a few carbon plates pushed together) there are many variables, not just temp (which is being measured) but also for instance glazing, how long will you be stationary at the starting grid, etc etc.

I assume the clutch will be a lot less delicate in Mercedes' 2017 design.

djos

Jolle wrote:
popovic94 wrote:I think that posible diference in starts is in clutch warmup. It is posible that clutch haves narow window of operating temperature, so at 4:20 when Rosberg is warming up clutch maybe diference is in that time that driver spends warming it up.
I imagine, for such a simple concept (a few carbon plates pushed together) there are many variables, not just temp (which is being measured) but also for instance glazing, how long will you be stationary at the starting grid, etc etc.

I'd think they need bigger clutches full stop due to the increased tire grip provided by the wider rear tires.
"In downforce we trust"

popovic94

Jolle wrote:

Nothing in F1 is simple, and clutch is probably one of the things that are less simple. It is posible that they have some delicate, exotic material that haves superior traction capabilities, but if they warm it to little or to much it gaves poor starts .
"Whoever you are, no matter what social position you have, rich or poor, always show great strength and determination, and always do everything with much love and deep faith in God. One day you will reach your goal." Ayrton Senna

PlatinumZealot

It is also the the paddle is designed. According to Martin Brundle the cltuch paddle has a very digital feel to the driver so it does not help that an analogue motion is required for the clutch release.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach

diego.liv

http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/esclus ... id-848701/

Paddy Lowe confirmed that the R&D department studied a modified version for the front brake disks: a thin carbon cover (the one painted in light blue) that let the front disks to get warmed and cooled more quickly, and in doing so they found partially a solution to the brake disks overheating. According to the article, they were tested in Monza, Austin, and Mexico because of the challenge posed by the long straight/hard breaking

zac510

When the clutch paddle is released, the clutch is probably fed in by a spring or a hydraulic bleed. It'd be completely passive, but the feed-in time would need to be preset.
I recall them doing this about 10-15 years ago to get around rules regarding when the driver is allowed to change the brake balance.

I always thought the clutch was simply similar materials to the carbon brake disc/pad rather than something exotic.

Mark4211

Visible Y250 and rear wing vortices

https://streamable.com/owv5

Some kind of telemetry data, dTCurr (delta time current?) shown on screen