McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GoranF1

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda

In this picture,what is that thing on the rear crash structure where exhausts are facing...just a shadow or...?
https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/701336706784612352
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

damager21

They have retained size zero and if anything pushed the limits a bit more. Also the sidepod undercut looks more aggressive in the video than what appears in the images. Looks to a be a good chassis, hope Honda delivers too.

Last edited by damager21 on 21 Feb 2016, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

Avocado

Joseki wrote:I think they gave Honda exactly the same space as last year, I don't get why someone say they gave them more space, to me the sidepods are the same if not smaller. :wtf:
Yup. People here are blind, obviously. :?

GoranF1

Blackout

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

See?
taperoo2k wrote:
Blackout wrote:A surprise? a Red Bull? WTF? no its basically the 'same' 2015 short nose, the same s-duct, the same sidepod and roll hoop general design with only some minor changes (the intakes for example)... it's a light evolution of the 2015 Mclaren design first of all,..
Look at last year pics....
It does have some red bull like elements, which isn't surprise given Peter Prodromou's design influence on the car.
I'm not talking about the small details. Some people say it has RBR rear bodywork or nose, which is BS. it has 2015 typical Mclaren bodywork with small changes. And that nose isnt new at all because Mclaren raced an extremely similar version last year. Same for the S-duct etc.
They made some tweaks here and there, that's all. I didnt say it's a bad thing, I said that's not a Red Bull. Mclaren clearly said "lets evolve with the same design philosophy" they didnt say "hey, lets copy Red Bull's bodywork instead"

Thunder

damager21 wrote: Image
Love these Pictures. Really shows that they in no Way gone away from their tiny packaging. Now we just need better Pictures or the RW Pylon Mount and the Rear Crash Structure.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

GoranF1

Blackout wrote:See?
taperoo2k wrote:
Blackout wrote:A surprise? a Red Bull? WTF? no its basically the 'same' 2015 short nose, the same s-duct, the same sidepod and roll hoop general design with only some minor changes (the intakes for example)... it's a light evolution of the 2015 Mclaren design first of all,..
It does have some red bull like elements, which isn't surprise given Peter Prodromou's design influence on the car.
I'm not talking about the small details. Some people say it has RBR rear bodywork or nose, which is BS. it has 2015 typical Mclaren bodywork with small changes. And that nose isnt new at all because Mclaren raced an extremely similar version last year. Same for the S-duct etc.
They made some tweaks here and there, that's all. I didnt say it's a bad thing, I said that's not a Red Bull. Mclaren clearly said "lets evolve with the same design philosophy" they didnt say "hey, lets copy Red Bull's bodywork instead"
the nose is not the same as late 2015...its more extreme in its curving,its very similar to late 2015 RB nose,S duct is different,sidepods are more undercut in the front,sidepods deflectors and sidepods wing different, rear suspension different,rw end plate completly new philosopy...you gusy are blind.
And if you bother small changes so much,please explain why would one decide to change a completly good aero philosopy anyway?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/02/21/c ... -2015-car/

Blackout

GoranF1 wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:

the nose is not the same as late 2015...its more extreme in its curving,its very similar to late 2015 RB nose,S duct is different,sidepods are more undercut in the front,sidepods deflectors and sidepods wing different, rear suspension different,rw end plate completly new philosopy...you gusy are blind.
And if you bother small changes so much,please explain why would one decide to change a completly good aero philosopy anyway?

lol
Talking about blindness #-o :
Blackout wrote:
A surprise? a Red Bull? WTF? no its basically the 'same' 2015 short nose, the same s-duct, the same sidepod and roll hoop general design with only some minor changes (the intakes for example)[/b][/u]... it's a light evolution of the 2015 Mclaren design first of all,..
And you miss the point.
And I'm not just talking about the tip of the nose (which is a Mclaren 2015 short nose before a being a Red Bull copy)
Open your eyes or learn to read or look at last years pics (including the Red Bull ones) or whatever
Last edited by Blackout on 21 Feb 2016, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Postmoe

f1rules wrote:its the center of the car around the low part of the airbox, if you see this pic from last year, the head protection ends
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248 ... 1%20am.png

now the head protection, even being higher this year, continues/flows into the engine cover, thats significant more room around the PU
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248 ... 3%20am.png
Didn't they need to raise that area around driver's helmet for regulations? If so, they have just taken advantage of this extra blockage, but the cokebottle and the rear end are extreme in terms of packaging.

GoranF1

Blackout wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

lol
Talking about blindness #-o :
Blackout wrote:
A surprise? a Red Bull? WTF? no its basically the 'same' 2015 short nose, the same s-duct, the same sidepod and roll hoop general design with only some minor changes (the intakes for example)[/b][/u]... it's a light evolution of the 2015 Mclaren design first of all,..
And you miss the point.
And I'm not just talking about the tip of the nose (which is a Mclaren 2015 short nose before a being a Red Bull copy)
Open your eyes or learn to read or look at last years pics (including the Red Bull ones) or whatever
Beautiful car,i am impressed by attention on detail .

GoranF1

a1b2i3r45

Are the inlets under the airbox same as last year ? or have they increased the opening?

Egresi Tamás

GoranF1

PhillipM

They've done a major resculpting around the teatray area leading into the front lower of the sidepods