Lecture about 2016 F1 Rules by AVL Racing

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dero

Lecture about 2016 F1 Rules by AVL Racing

Just came back from a yearly Lecture about F1 with top personell at AVL List Austria.

Speaker was: Dr. Peter Schöggl, Head of Vehicle, Vice President Business Field Racing, Engineering & Technology Powertrain Systems AVL List GmbH, Graz - Austria

Some slides i found interesting:

He also mentioned/confirmed a few theories floating around here and elsewhere (i can't judge all of this stuff):
- Strange sounds from Honda Engine during deceleartion is cylinder-cutoff
- the renault engine has an inherent overweight of about 4kg due to the choosen geometry compared to Mercedes. Honda is lighter.
- Lambda is significantly > 1.1 where exhaust temperature begins to decrease again.
- Hondas TC is too small (limited by engine V)
- Renaults TC gets too hot (direct coupling)

Hope you find it interesting.

Cheers Stefan
Last edited by dero on 02 Mar 2016, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

ME4ME

Re: Lecture about 2016 F1 Rules by AVL Racing

Lol, Mercedes W-floor picture from F1technical :P

dero

ME4ME wrote:Lol, Mercedes W-floor picture from F1technical :P
Haha! I did not notive that. Just in case Mr. Schöggl sees this: Thanks for your lecture and your answer to my question about differences of efficiencies of electrical parts between manufacturers.

cheers Stefan

dero

Images stoped working, post updated. sorry

variante

dero wrote:
ME4ME wrote:Lol, Mercedes W-floor picture from F1technical :P
Haha! I did not notive that. Just in case Mr. Schöggl sees this: Thanks for your lecture and your answer to my question about differences of efficiencies of electrical parts between manufacturers.

cheers Stefan
Haha cool...those are my drawings!

BTW thanks for sharing

henry

In the slide showing State Of Charge diagram for a qualifying run it shows the ES fully charged in the garage.

Anybody know how it is charged? The regs say you can't charge in the garage "during the qualifying session " .

Also, I believe the ES can be discharged so that marshals are safe. Anybody know how that is done ?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Paul

I am pretty certain it is being charged on the out lap, at least for the first lap of qualifying. Then it might be charged on the in lap, just to be sure it is fully charged for the timed lap if they don't have time to cruise during the out lap.

dero

henry wrote:In the slide showing State Of Charge diagram for a qualifying run it shows the ES fully charged in the garage.

Anybody know how it is charged? The regs say you can't charge in the garage "during the qualifying session " .

Also, I believe the ES can be discharged so that marshals are safe. Anybody know how that is done ?
from 2016 rules:

5.12.1 The system will be considered shut down when no high voltage can be present on any external
or accessible part of the ERS.

I don't think it is neccesary for the battery to be discharged in order to achieve this shut down" mode. So the batteries SOC in the pit can be 100% if you charged it on your inlap.

Also from the regs: The shutdown process must take no longer than two seconds from activation.

discharging 4MJ in 2sec... i don't think so.

Yours Stefan

henry

dero wrote:
henry wrote:In the slide showing State Of Charge diagram for a qualifying run it shows the ES fully charged in the garage.

from 2016 rules:

5.12.1 The system will be considered shut down when no high voltage can be present on any external

I don't think it is neccesary for the battery to be discharged in order to achieve this shut down" mode. So the batteries SOC in the pit can be 100% if you charged it on your inlap.

Also from the regs: The shutdown process must take no longer than two seconds from activation.

Yours Stefan
Thanks. So safe is isolated not discharged.

The question still remains what level of charge is permitted prior to the start of the qualifying or race?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

dero

henry wrote:
dero wrote:

from 2016 rules:

Yours Stefan
Thanks. So safe is isolated not discharged.

The question still remains what level of charge is permitted prior to the start of the qualifying or race?
I'm pretty sure SOC before the race and every quali session must be zero.
But it does not really matter because before the start you have the formation lap to charge your ES for the start and before each hot lap in qualifying you can do a slow lap to heat your tires and charge the ES.

Cheers Stefan

NutritionFact

Thank you for this very interesting thread.

Is avl now working with ferrari or red bull? Or both?
Next years ferrari with w-solution and short nose made by avl?
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

dero

NutritionFact wrote:Thank you for this very interesting thread.

Is avl now working with ferrari or red bull? Or both?
Next years ferrari with w-solution and short nose made by avl?
Glad you liked my initial post and the discussion created by it.
From what i understand they are basically working with all of the teams in some way shape or form.
Certainly Ferrari and RBR.

I think they mainly do powertrain stuff / dnyos and laptime-simulation (using aero data provided).
I don't think they would be involved in the actual desing of a frontwing, but I may be wrong.
For RBR they built a HIL simulator that runs the entire car without aero (due to regualtions).
It sits on a rolling road, the engine is installed into the chassis. Dynos are attached to the axles to simulate the track and the driver is sitting outside in a "traditional" simulator with a screen. His inputs are mirrored to the car.

Interesting stuff for sure.

cheers Stefan