Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Godius

Re: Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

Vanja #66 wrote:Are you talking about vortex or turbulence?
I don't know how to call it in English to be honest. But I was expecting that the structure would behave like a wingtip.

Bwoah

I know it's been mentioned a bunch on here before, but this video gives a good look at the flat ride height at speed on the Red Bull, as well as the downward flexing lower edges of the end plates.

https://youtu.be/Svthc6dGQnU?t=57s

DiogoBrand

Webber2011 wrote:
Only just saw this pic, and was going to post it but you beat me :D

The way the flow viz has two different lines that have a distinct gap between them me amazes me.
One straight into the side pod inlet, and the other travelling underneath !

I haven't seen such a clear pic of that on any of the cars during this test.

I'd imagine that is fantastic at getting all the air where you want it.,

Maybe some of you Aero guys could go into detail, and explain how good/bad this is for me please ?
It seems to me that the air coming up from the front wing is then redirected by the suspension arms into the sidepod inlets, and also to the undercut. Basically wherever they want it to go. The suspension seems to block some of that flow viz paint, which shows exactly where the air goes and creates that nice effect.

Hope I'm not entirely wrong here.

zac510

What I like about this shot (and this comment is not directed at you Sevach, it is a general observation) is that when you look at the new 10degree wishbone attachment angles you are tempted to visualise them as directing the air at that angle. But this flow vis shows the air running along a bit more parallel to the reference plane. I'm just reminding myself not to assume that the angle of bodywork causes air to go in exactly that direction!

ringo

The nose tip has grating going through. The design may simply be to make the nose effectively a high nose. Air seems to flow right through the grated nose.
For Sure!!

DiogoBrand

zac510 wrote:
What I like about this shot (and this comment is not directed at you Sevach, it is a general observation) is that when you look at the new 10degree wishbone attachment angles you are tempted to visualise them as directing the air at that angle. But this flow vis shows the air running along a bit more parallel to the reference plane. I'm just reminding myself not to assume that the angle of bodywork causes air to go in exactly that direction!
Maybe it's something like: Air coming at 10º upwards + Bodywork at 10º downwards = straight airflow. Of course there are millions of factors involved on the direction the air goes to, but it may work a little bit like that.

One thing that makes me curious: if the suspension takes air that comes upwards and then turns it straight, isn't it generating lift? If it does, is it unsignificant?

Webber2011

ringo wrote:The nose tip has grating going through. The design may simply be to make the nose effectively a high nose. Air seems to flow right through the grated nose.
Thanks for the answers regarding the flow everyone.
I'm learning a lot from you guys :wink:

The reason I've quoted this post from Ringo is that I've been wondering about the "nose vent".

A few here have hinted, and shown pics that suggest it flows pretty much straight through, to get more air under the regulated very low noses we've had over the last few years.

If that's what it's doing it's a fantastic idea, but with the grating that Ringo speaks of, surely it wouldn't take long to fill with on track debris, such as marbles & the like.
First race of the season I've been to many times, and it's notorious for having a lot of leaf litter from turn 2 until turn 7

How effective will this "nose vent" be half way through a stint, and can it be easily cleaned out during each pit stop ?

I'm sure Red Bull have a much better idea than I do or they wouldn't have bothered with it, but what do you guys think ?

matt21

bucker

Ricciardo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0mmIQHQopk
Bottas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJnFqmRo700

First video is from Red Bull and second from Mercedes. I don't know which day was Red Bull video filmed, but we can clearly see some things.

Car in first three corners in not so steady as it is the one from Mercedes. Not an expert, but in turn three maybe a lack of downforce and few times also mechanical grip. But I said, this video was filmed maybe the first day I don't know that, so they were still looking for the right setup.

Juzh

bucker wrote:Ricciardo
Bottas

First video is from Red Bull and second from Mercedes. I don't know which day was Red Bull video filmed, but we can clearly see some things.

Car in first three corners in not so steady as it is the one from Mercedes. Not an expert, but in turn three maybe a lack of downforce and few times also mechanical grip. But I said, this video was filmed maybe the first day I don't know that, so they were still looking for the right setup.
I'm pretty sure the red bull clip is from yesterday. The car certainly doesn't look anywhere near mercedes level.

F1Krof

Juzh wrote:
bucker wrote:Ricciardo
Bottas

I'm pretty sure the red bull clip is from yesterday. The car certainly doesn't look anywhere near mercedes level.
Also we don't know what fuel load both cars had. Too early to draw conclusions. Mercedes looks planted, RBR looks letargic, probably loads of fuel, half a tank maybe.
Wroom wroom

zac510

Bwoah wrote:I know it's been mentioned a bunch on here before, but this video gives a good look at the flat ride height at speed on the Red Bull, as well as the downward flexing lower edges of the end plates.

https://youtu.be/Svthc6dGQnU?t=57s
I think the flat right height is an illusion created by the lower front wing and lower rear wing. The reason I think this is because almost all cars are demonstrating this flat ride height. At very least I don't think it's anything unique to the RB13.

cplchanb

I thought they were not allowed to mess with the architecture of these cameras. They are trying to pull another less extreme 2014 so I expect a clarification from fom to ban these before Australia

seezung