Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
clipsy1H

Re: Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

I don't know why so many of you think that they will bring a whole new car, an amazing car and things like this. For sure the actually race care will be more "advanced" but i think they gonna fail hard this season.

Can't say much more about this car. but for sure it's a hybrid but even from the real one i don't expect more at the moment. I had great expectations from Red Bull but after today.... too much clean design and they can't change all car in few weeks.
Last edited by clipsy1H on 26 Feb 2017, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

dren

ringo wrote:Redbull is playing tricks. They are hiding loopholes. This car reminds me of the first blown diffuser redbull where newey put those exhuast stickers on the engine cover to trick everyone.
Wont fool us this time!
They are definitely hiding a trick barge board system.
I'm guessing a trick ellipse board system. :wink:
Honda!

F1Krof

They need it, whatever it is they need it. Rumors say Merc's launch (simpliest) version is light years ahead of the competition.

But, all this speculation about RBR's tricks, gimmicks, undeveloped, failure ... from ONE IMAGE . :wtf: let's see tomorrow, patience.
Wroom wroom

ltitus8900

ringo wrote:Redbull is playing tricks. They are hiding loopholes. This car reminds me of the first blown diffuser redbull where newey put those exhuast stickers on the engine cover to trick everyone.
Wont fool us this time!
I am thinking the same thing. That is very cleaver use of lighting. Hard to even highlight anything to take a better look. Darn you Newey!

GTO99

ltitus8900 wrote:
Wont fool us this time!
I am thinking the same thing. That is very cleaver use of lighting. Hard to even highlight anything to take a better look. Darn you Newey!
What's with all the drama & secrecy...the day before testing? IMHO a very poor car reveal. Disappointing, esp. since the car is very plain & unfinished. :o
The front wing looks massive...room to dance on it.
Wheel base looks extremely short.
Shark fin is unpainted & looks to be slapped on...noticed the bull's tail is cut off. :shock:
Aardvark nose is ugly. Is the hole in the nose the entry for the s-duct?

fawe4

ltitus8900 wrote:
Wont fool us this time!
There are no tricks, you have it in all in plain sight and you're all too blind to see it. Yes, they'll bring new bargeboards, but they are a mere detail, their masterstroke when it comes to aero is on the car already. And it is stunning! Look at the sidepods again, and look at the area around the on top of the 'bull' of the red bull logo.

roon

Such a strange day. Bizarre launch. A handful of photos taken in a dark room that looks like a back-alley with seedy looking neon & flourescent lights? Weird. What are they doing.

My optimistic part says that this was intentional. Gaslighting the competition & some fans as well...

Unfortunately the speculation thread is closed. Could the poorly fitting engine cover be a clue? Is this just their fan-event demo car?

I think they'll reveal the real mccoy tmrw. Ready for some long chassis and front engines? 8) ha ha

Consider why RB would pursue something like this. A long fore-chassis. What would this accomplish? Well, it would be an identification of the largest unregulated volume of the car, and a decision to maximize its size. It goes like this: you find the least regulated area, and increase its size relative to the rest of the car. Potentially you end up with a car that is volumetrically less regulated than your competitors. You are, say, only 90% aerodynamically regulated whereas your competitors are 95% regulated.

So, perhaps there is some brain-exchange going on between Milton Keynes & Wall Street, if you catch my drift.

More specifically, you could design a car with a long barge-board area, the "fore-chassis" as I'm calling, and potentially, but not necessarily, reduce the length of the spec-floor by moving the engine & drivetrain components around. Ending up with an arrowhead shaped car, when viewed from above, sort of like a Brabham BT 52 (in very general sense, referencing only the plan-view shape of the floor-cockpit junction).

This all depends on the accuracy of my reading of the rules, which is subject to flaw, as I'm only one brain having spent only a few cumulative minutes trying to decipher the rulebook in this specific area.

But the principle interests me. Differentiation as potential advantage. Beyond fine-tuning a convention approach.

And notice RB's tweet from yesterday: "Break with tradition. Break superstitions." Now, obviously this is a reference to the number thirteen. But could this message also be offering a double meaning? 8)

Soon we'll know, and then I'll have to shut my trap about this topic. :lol:

ringo

dren wrote:
Wont fool us this time!
Hahaha. That's standard issue in the redbull camp. :wink:
I didn't want to say it at the time, as the lighting is poor in the pictures, but that hole in the nose may be similar to force India's nostrils, and they will create an interaction not only with the S duct, but with the batwing behind.
The interaction will intensify as the cars speed increases.
For Sure!!

Mat-tes

I realized recently that for all I love watching formula one races, car launches and spending hours looking at detailed pictures and analysis of these machines, I actually have no real clue as to how they work.
I'm saying that because for all we know, simple doesn't mean slow. Last year red bull didn't bring much visible changes during the season yet they became the second best car after being behind Ferrari at the beginning of the season.
For all I understand, these cars are for sure aerodynamic marvel, but if the chassis and usability isn't following you won't do impressive things during the season.

Maybe they are hiding something or maybe not, but just because Mercedes went one way in term of agressif development doesn't mean it's the only avenue to follow.

Let's see how they do today and during the rest of the tests.

roon

ringo wrote:
dren wrote:
Wont fool us this time!
I didn't want to say it at the time, as the lighting is poor in the pictures, but that hole in the nose may be similar to force India's nostrils, and they will create an interaction not only with the S duct, but with the batwing behind.
Yes, the same wording which also permits McLaren's pylon gills & Toro Rosso's camera stalks. It seems at least one duct exit can be seen on the Red Bull, the black mark in front of the livery's bull horns. Perhaps the flow is subdivided furthmore within the nose i.e. more than two exits. If not, then they are just generating two strong jets of air along the side of the nose fed from the relatively large inlet.

jagunx51

roon wrote:
ringo wrote:
dren wrote:
Yes, the same wording which also permits McLaren's pylon gills & Toro Rosso's camera stalks. It seems at least one duct exit can be seen on the Red Bull, the black mark in front of the livery's bull horns. Perhaps the flow is subdivided furthmore within the nose i.e. more than two exits. If not, then they are just generating two strong jets of air along the side of the nose fed from the relatively large inlet.

https://i.imgur.com/OqZsJsv.jpg

cmiiw, it looks like the vaccum hole is end between the pillars, from gamma corection, we can see curved and 'horizontal' line
............!!!!

Godius

Red Bull released a few studio pictures.

Clown

Click for very high resolution

Vasconia

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This sums ups perfectly well what I expect it will happen today or during the next test.

I felt slighlty underwhelmed with this car when I took a look to the first images. Yes, that front wing looks spectacular and I am sure it can bring tons of downforce, indeed the hole in the nose can be an interesting thing too. But I am sure they are hiding things because the rest doesnt bring anything special.

And by the way, this car doesn´t look "sexy" but this is something to discuss on another thread.

NathanOlder

I just dont get why they reveal such little so late on. I'd understand if they launched first. But the red bull teams launched last. Red Bull launched the RB13 about 19 hours before testing. Why not just do a proper launch in Barcelona in the pit lane 30mins before testing. Some rubbish fake pictures the day before makes no sense whatever way you look at it.

All in all, its just a big disappointment. As I think everyone was looking forward to the launch. A big anticlimax, hope their performance isn't the same, otherwise Lewis will probably walk the title again.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC