Mercedes W08 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diego.liv

Re: Mercedes W08 Speculation Thread

Holm86 wrote:Any info on what time, and where it will be launched tomorrow?
12 CET. Around 12.30 for the car

Holm86

diego.liv wrote:
Thanks, will there be a stream? Or just a release of photos from Silverstone?

diego.liv

Holm86 wrote:
diego.liv wrote:
Quite sure on the Mercedes AMG youtube channel

cmF1

プラスとマイナス

Jordan44

diego.liv wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
diego.liv wrote:
Quite sure on the Mercedes AMG youtube channel
Sky Sports News are usually the first to get footage of it on track, so potentially before then unless the procedure has changed this year.

MiamiSilverArrows

WOW! Its a wonder when you see cars like the VJM10 and wonder how in the hell their marketing Dept looks at the finished product and thinks, Yep these colors will do! that gets us Excited in the product.

Good on You MB and teams like RB who bring something new every year to keep their fans excited.

Fluorescent / luminescent paint should be mandatory on every single car.

cplchanb

so those flowing lines from the teasers do exist for real on the car! cant wait!

Holm86

So this confirms the stripes are definitely painted on, and not just light projected onto the car.

The question is if they really are luminescent, or if they are just rendered in the photos to make them stand out.

ajprice

The airbrush painters must go mental if their hand painted body panels get smashed in a race when that much work went into every piece.
"Awww boss not another front wing!"

Phillyred

ajprice wrote:The airbrush painters must go mental if their hand painted body panels get smashed in a race when that much work went into every piece.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about those stripes/wisps that seem to extend all the way through to the nose!! I mean, what if they need to replace the nose? Are the stripes gonna match up perfectly?!?!

Jordan44

Phillyred wrote:
ajprice wrote:The airbrush painters must go mental if their hand painted body panels get smashed in a race when that much work went into every piece.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about those stripes/wisps that seem to extend all the way through to the nose!! I mean, what if they need to replace the nose? Are the stripes gonna match up perfectly?!?!
If they need to replace the nose for any reason, I'd imagine that'll be a minor concern.

DiogoBrand

Phillyred wrote:Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about those stripes/wisps that seem to extend all the way through to the nose!! I mean, what if they need to replace the nose? Are the stripes gonna match up perfectly?!?!
But the thin stripes are actually glued on. It's just the blue "fog" that's airbrushed around them.

KeiKo403

All this talk of luminescent paint. Would be excellent if Razer was a sponsor with the chroma range. Imagine.....Singapore....DRS is activated and.....Image

i70q7m7ghw

Phillyred wrote:
They are only done that way so they line up perfectly. They will cut them after it's all finished and dry. Interestingly, if it's done by eye every time, I guess there will only ever be 1 nose cone and monocoque pair that matches perfectly.

torpor

I like the idea with the blue stripes.

But this handmade airbrush painted Mercedes Star always reminds me of Nemo next to Snow White and the seven dwarfs painted on carousels in children amusement parks.
Feels a bit old-school.
So every Mercedes car nose is an individual piece.
I believe e.g. Red Bull has a more automated paint process.