Red Bull RB13 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pierce89

Re: Red Bull RB13 Speculation Thread

Scuderia1967 wrote:Having read multiple articles like this one, I was under the assumption the beam wing would make a more than welcome return

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/tech ... style.html
Well did you read it or just look at the pictures? The article makes no mention of the beam wing. I don't really get people's obsession with such a minor wing anyway. I also never got the monkey seat obsession, oh well.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

turbof1

Pierce89 wrote:
Scuderia1967 wrote:Having read multiple articles like this one, I was under the assumption the beam wing would make a more than welcome return

Well did you read it or just look at the pictures? The article makes no mention of the beam wing. I don't really get people's obsession with such a minor wing anyway. I also never got the monkey seat obsession, oh well.
Well a beam wing would be quite significant actually. It is a powerful tool to link the diffuser and rear wing, creating quite efficiently extra downforce.

You are right that a monkey seat is getting more attention than it's really worth, but the beam wing is a different ball park.

But regardless, this is not relevant is it will not be returning.
#AeroFrodo

Scuderia1967

Pierce89 wrote:

Check picture #3, and the arrow with the #2 pointing at a very obvious beam wing.
And no, I have no obsession with beam wings, but what if I had?

Pierce89

Scuderia1967 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:

Check picture #3, and the arrow with the #2 pointing at a very obvious beam wing.
Uhhmm thats why I asked or just looked at the pictures
The text makes zero mention of a beam wing. I know a lot of misleading pictures are floating around, but there will be no beam wing next year. The only reason I said obsession was "a more than welcome return". I didn't know anyone was worried about it.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Scuderia1967

Pierce89 wrote:
Scuderia1967 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: Well did you read it or just look at the pictures? The article makes no mention of the beam wing. I don't really get people's obsession with such a minor wing anyway. I also never got the monkey seat obsession, oh well.
Uhhmm thats why I asked or just looked at the pictures
The text makes zero mention of a beam wing. I know a lot of misleading pictures are floating around, but there will be no beam wing next year. The only reason I said obsession was "a more than welcome return". I didn't know anyone was worried about it.
So you looked at the pictures and still didn't find the beam wing in one of them? As for the "misleading pictures floating around", you do know the pictures from this article were made by Giorgio Piola, the leading expert when it comes to F1 technical drawings, or don't you?

turbof1

Well, it is quite a mood point since you now understand that there will be no beam wing.

Regarding Piola: you have to understand that at he drew at the time when the regulations were not finalised yet. He drew an interpretation from he heard and got told, but ultimately Piola is not involved at the discussion table and he too had to guess.
#AeroFrodo

lio007

Oh no, no, no.
RB is supposedly forced to change a lot of their front and rear suspension design, because of a recently published technical directive by CW. The parts were even in production.
Although it's hard to believe that RB never asked CW for clarification before, when their suspension is hard on the edge.
I hate this rule clarifications so late in a design process. I'd prefer a deadline, eg. 1st November, where the FIA can publish such TD, but not in late December where design is finished and parts are in production. Clarifications after the deadline must wait until the techregs for the following season, eg.2018, are discussed.
Meanwhile we have to say kudos to this or that team for some clever and smart engineering.

Any insider around here, who can confirm?

http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2016/12 ... e.html?m=1

Juzh

Supposedly inquired by mercedes.

ME4ME

FrukostScones

Juzh wrote:Supposedly inquired by mercedes.
teams do this since ever then
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Juzh

FrukostScones wrote:
Juzh wrote:Supposedly inquired by mercedes.
teams do this since ever then
I know. I bet merc even intentionally waited this long, to throw RB even more off the rails (supposedly what article says it true). It's how things are done in F1.

Pierce89

I actually love the f1 "cold war" that goes on in the background. I wish we got more tidbits about TCs and whatnot.

FrukostScones

this older article AMuS article might refer to the things Merc and RB are battling for, maybe Merc got a legal system (or a not working system :mrgreen: ) and now they retaliate against RB, because RB has such an enormous development advantage because of the 2017 bodywork rules coming (mainly ) from their pen...

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... rl&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

scarbs

Yes a TD has gone out, it affects several teams and should not be a huge surprise to them.
Some very clever stuff has been going on... =D>
I'll have the full details published this week.

lio007

scarbs wrote:Yes a TD has gone out, it affects several teams and should not be a huge surprise to them.
Some very clever stuff has been going on... =D>
I'll have the full details published this week.
Thanks Scarbs!

Obviously it wasn't Mercedes but Ferrari.
Affected teams still in talks with FIA!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ension-row

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-su ... 62612/?s=1