Ferrari 2017 Contender Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Eddie_Temple
Eddie_Temple

Re: Ferrari 2017 Contender Speculation Thread

wuzak wrote:
Eddie_Temple wrote:
wuzak wrote:
I don't know. But it appears to me that the left rear wing end plate is different to the right.
The drawing is attempting to show symmetrical rear wing end plates. From what I can see, they are exactly the same.
The left hand end plate has a cutout at the front edge that goes to the top.

The right hand end plate has a cutout at the front edge that goes to the bottom.
Those aren't cutouts.
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

f1316
f1316

Eddie_Temple wrote:What is going on with the bargeboards. This area appears to fit the "unusual shapes" description we've heard coming out of the Ferrari camp.

Usually I'd expect to see barge boards in the yellow box, or thereabouts. In this drawing it looks like they are combining BATWING + BARGE Board (thus named the Board Box) into a boxed aero-element.

The green lines are my rough section lines of the body and the align with the white Board Box, I'm pretty good at reading drawings and I cannot see how the white surfaces are offset from the body. This or the offset is very minimal at the top edge of the barge surface, almost flush with the red bodywork.

https://postimg.org/image/ybkk1n6rj/
Do we really think this is an accurate representation of what Ferrari are planning though? Or an omission (whether deliberate or not) by the artist?

From everything I've understood so far, having the ability to return to the larger bargeboards of the pre 2009 era is likely to be something teams will look to exploit fully - so putting nothing in the yellow box seems unlikely. Can they really think that something in the green box fulfills the same role whilst, presumably, reducing drag? If so it definitely is unusual and interesting.

The t-tray area is where I would expect any unusual shapes on the Ferrari to appear though (if any do), given it was such an area of focus for them at the backend of 2016. I still find it hard to believe this won't be coupled with some kind of massive bargeboard arrangement but then maybe they think - if so many corners are going flat anyway from the increased grip and hence much more of the lap at full throttle - shedding the drag from the bargeboards is actually more beneficial (presuming they're already happy with how this bat board - see what I did? - is managing the flow)?

wuzak
wuzak

Eddie_Temple wrote:
wuzak wrote:
Eddie_Temple wrote:
The drawing is attempting to show symmetrical rear wing end plates. From what I can see, they are exactly the same.

The right hand end plate has a cutout at the front edge that goes to the bottom.
Those aren't cutouts.
Whatever. The end plate shapes are different. They are not completely rectangular.

SR71

wuzak wrote:
Eddie_Temple wrote:
wuzak wrote:

Those aren't cutouts.
Whatever. The end plate shapes are different. They are not completely rectangular.
Try to picture those endplates from the front. The cut out you described is actually an S curve or sorts of the leading edge of the endplates.

The endplates start narrow where they meet the floor and S curve out to the widest point and continue up to meet the new wider 2017 rear wing.

This issue has been discussed on this thread as well, in quite clear technical regulation detail.

Eddie_Temple
Eddie_Temple

f1316 wrote:
Eddie_Temple wrote:What is going on with the bargeboards. This area appears to fit the "unusual shapes" description we've heard coming out of the Ferrari camp.

Usually I'd expect to see barge boards in the yellow box, or thereabouts. In this drawing it looks like they are combining BATWING + BARGE Board (thus named the Board Box) into a boxed aero-element.

The green lines are my rough section lines of the body and the align with the white Board Box, I'm pretty good at reading drawings and I cannot see how the white surfaces are offset from the body. This or the offset is very minimal at the top edge of the barge surface, almost flush with the red bodywork.

https://postimg.org/image/ybkk1n6rj/
Do we really think this is an accurate representation of what Ferrari are planning though? Or an omission (whether deliberate or not) by the artist?

From everything I've understood so far, having the ability to return to the larger bargeboards of the pre 2009 era is likely to be something teams will look to exploit fully - so putting nothing in the yellow box seems unlikely. Can they really think that something in the green box fulfills the same role whilst, presumably, reducing drag? If so it definitely is unusual and interesting.

The t-tray area is where I would expect any unusual shapes on the Ferrari to appear though (if any do), given it was such an area of focus for them at the backend of 2016. I still find it hard to believe this won't be coupled with some kind of massive bargeboard arrangement but then maybe they think - if so many corners are going flat anyway from the increased grip and hence much more of the lap at full throttle - shedding the drag from the bargeboards is actually more beneficial (presuming they're already happy with how this bat board - see what I did? - is managing the flow)?
Obviously we're looking at Scarbs interpretation of things he's seen or heard coming out from Maranello. Perhaps he'll find his way into this thread and provide some insight.

I don't think he accidentally created this Bat Board - I'd love to hear his vision.
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Gridlock

Oops.

If true, nice.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

They have deleted that tweet now.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

RedIsPassionNotAWork
RedIsPassionNotAWork

If the name of this year car will be SF17-JB, probably it will be in honor of Julies Bianchi, who ran with the number 17..

f1316
f1316

I was thinking it would have been weird that they named the car after Jenson Button! Bianchi makes much more sense.

Also, the car is the F14T, before anyone thinks it's this year's car.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

f1316 wrote:I was thinking it would have been weird that they named the car after Jenson Button! Bianchi makes much more sense.

Also, the car is the F14T, before anyone thinks it's this year's car.
Yep, rear wing isn't swept back. I expect someone realised that making it a fun trivia question was probably lacking the solemnity that the announcement deserved.

Ayrtonx100pre
Ayrtonx100pre

The SF17-JB has been passed the FIA´s crash test.
----► http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2017/01 ... tti-i.html

f1316
f1316

Hadn't seen this mock-up shown in the article before:

If nothing else, hope they go with this shade of red!

JaqDRipper
JaqDRipper

I am most interested in the reports of an "extreme" or "aggressive" nose that keep popping up. How extreme could the nose be given the new regs relating to length and whatnot? My previous thinking was that all of the teams would be running a fairly straightforward 2016 Merc style nose, as getting the maximum amount of air under the between the front wing pylons with a phallus design wasn't going to be necessary. Has anybody seen a prediction drawing anywhere yet?

FrukostScones

Ferrari 2017 now passed all crash tests.
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

absbeginner
absbeginner

f1316 wrote:Hadn't seen this mock-up shown in the article before:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1ePWywRSwp4/ ... AAnxye.jpg

If nothing else, hope they go with this shade of red!
It's just this photo of the Renault RS16 repainted: