Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

bosyber wrote:https://twitter.com/f1talks/status/834755405171531776
... that is interesting too, hadn't noticed it yet.
yeah definitly something different

PhillipM

dren wrote:It looks like they pushed things forward to make more room at the rear.
Which is what I'd have expected most teams to do given the new regs, even Manor had realised that one! Which makes the Sauber and Williams all the stranger...

Tim.Wright

bosyber wrote:https://twitter.com/f1talks/status/834755405171531776 ... that is interesting too, hadn't noticed it yet.
I'm suspecting that they are using loads of kingpin inclination to change the angle of attack of the duct mounted aero elements as the wheels are steered.
Not the engineer at Force India

dren

Did they make most of the front knuckle out of CF?
Honda!

Gerhardsa

ReoPTy wrote:near by air intakes to wingy "constrained" to be efficient aerodynamicly, simplier is always better about aero , overall awefull looking car compared to FI or Sauber , the suspenssion look very efficient, and the rear is the only watchable part, nice , i hope for them its fast , i doubt it
I'm sorry...awfull compared to Sauber and FI??

You got your glasses on correctly mate? :wtf:

And what creates the doubt that the car wont be quick?
Last edited by Gerhardsa on 23 Feb 2017, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

morefirejules08

Gerhardsa wrote:
ReoPTy wrote:near by air intakes to wingy "constrained" to be efficient aerodynamicly, simplier is always better about aero , overall awefull looking car compared to FI or Sauber , the suspenssion look very efficient, and the rear is the only watchable part, nice , i hope for them its fast , i doubt it

Troll, don't bother feeding it

Holm86

Tim.Wright wrote:
I'm suspecting that they are using loads of kingpin inclination to change the angle of attack of the duct mounted aero elements as the wheels are steered.
Won't it work as an active camber system? Pulling the top of the wheel inward when turning.

Gerhardsa

morefirejules08 wrote:
Gerhardsa wrote:

Troll, don't bother feeding it
:lol:
Gotcha

Tim.Wright

Holm86 wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:
Won't it work as an active camber system? Pulling the top of the wheel inward when turning.
Not really. Caster angle gives you negative camber on the outer wheels. Kingpin inclination does the opposite.
Not the engineer at Force India

clipsy1H

Nothing spectacular, it's a basic car from last year (with more rear room by moving forward) with changes to fit new regulations, to me this car is nothing but normal. In matter of performance they will be same as last year nothing more o less but the good things is if others teams can bring something up they will beat Merc this year. So for now is up to Ferrari, RedBull and maybe Renault with McLaren to show somethings and take the lead because they can right now. Mercedes was so arrogant in this winter that they just fit last year car with 2017 regulation and 1-2 little things because they are sure no one can do more from last year. Now it's time to take over.

Even if it's almost nothing from last year i like the suspension, there is something to watch in next days and also the side pods which are bad ass.

bucker

Tim.Wright wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:
Not really. Caster angle gives you negative camber on the outer wheels. Kingpin inclination does the opposite.
I think if you turn in, this kind of suspension will pull the top of upright inside, so it is some kind of active camber suspenison.

frosty125

Clearly the most developed car we have seen so far with some quite unique features. I'm surprised by how much the wings are still being used to generate outwash. I thought with higher rear DF they would need to use more of the front wings generate DF at the front of the car.

cplchanb

clipsy1H wrote:Nothing spectacular, it's a basic car from last year (with more rear room by moving forward) with changes to fit new regulations, to me this car is nothing but normal. In matter of performance they will be same as last year nothing more o less but the good things is if others teams can bring something up they will beat Merc this year. So for now is up to Ferrari, RedBull and maybe Renault with McLaren to show somethings and take the lead because they can right now. Mercedes was so arrogant in this winter that they just fit last year car with 2017 regulation and 1-2 little things because they are sure no one can do more from last year. Now it's time to take over.

Even if it's almost nothing from last year i like the suspension, there is something to watch in next days and also the side pods which are bad ass.
Wow.....are you already dismissing them based off of launch spec and before testing has begun? Remember back in 2002 when Ferrari launched their car...looked rather plain with none of the winglets from in season and look how that performed.....

Imo I would wait until at least after Bahrain to start drawing conclusions on the car...

SparkyAMG

It's unlike Mercedes to hold back on studio images when launching their new cars, so I suspect that what we've seen so far is going to be quite different from what turns up throughout testing.

Like last year, I think we'll see a new nose introduced on the W08 towards the end of testing, as well as the rumoured 'shark fin' and changes to the front wing.

dren

frosty125 wrote:Clearly the most developed car we have seen so far with some quite unique features. I'm surprised by how much the wings are still being used to generate outwash. I thought with higher rear DF they would need to use more of the front wings generate DF at the front of the car.
It looks like everyone is using an elongated 2016 year end front wing. I expect we will see revisions and new wings during testing.
Honda!