Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1Krof

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

AMG.Tzan wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 12:01
Is it me or has the Mercedes started using a bit more rake?? I think the two main reasons they got on top of their early seasons problems, are weight saving and understanding the tyres! Now they are able to win with whatever tyre compound in whatever track it seems!
I don't beleive so. I haven't seem them sparking the floor in Silverstone at all unlike Ferrari and Red Bull.

They've definitely made good strides with the understanding of the tyres but I would not rush to say that they're completely on top of them. Remember all four races where Merc had huge advantage were power hungry tracks, Canada, Azerbayjain, Austria & Silverstone, and also in all ocassions the track temperatures were relatively low.

Lets see Budapest.
Wroom wroom

siskue2005

AMG.Tzan wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 12:01
Is it me or has the Mercedes started using a bit more rake?? I think the two main reasons they got on top of their early seasons problems, are weight saving and understanding the tyres! Now they are able to win with whatever tyre compound in whatever track it seems!
I also thought about after the race
There seems to be some rake increase from their previous races... but definitely not upto ferrari and RBR, but still slight increase in rake

Aus gp 2017, very minimal rake rake

Edit: correct image posted, There seems to be a slight increase in the rake of the car in Silverstone compared to Australia. But no where as high as RBR or Ferrari. Still an improvement
Last edited by siskue2005 on 17 Jul 2017, 20:55, edited 3 times in total.

Yurasyk

C'mon, it's not a 2017 year car. :P

siskue2005

Yurasyk wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 20:48
C'mon, it's not a 2017 year car. :P
sorry got the wrong link, will edit

F1NAC

maybe it's up to me but I fail to see much difference ? :D

AUS

GB

roon

sosic2121 wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 08:59
zioture wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 12:51
The secret of Mercedes and the third element ?

http://www.newsf1.it/the-secret-of-merc ... d-element/
Thank you for your link.

What's the thing with negative marks?!
Spamming for clicks to their website. Rather than post what they have to say, for discussion, they act as an advertiser parasitizing the forum.

sosic2121

roon wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 23:49
sosic2121 wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 08:59
zioture wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 12:51
The secret of Mercedes and the third element ?

http://www.newsf1.it/the-secret-of-merc ... d-element/
Thank you for your link.

What's the thing with negative marks?!
Spamming for clicks to their website. Rather than post what they have to say, for discussion, they act as an advertiser parasitizing the forum.
Thank you for explanation. I haven't thought of that.

Powerslide

F1NAC wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 21:29

AUS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/ ... C0NMI.jpeg

GB

http://media.themalaymailonline.com/upl ... 170715.JPG
you cant tell the difference because that rake is suppose to change as the cars go faster so you need a picture where the two cars are travelling at the same speed or not travelling at all
speed

marvin78

Powerslide wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 10:49
F1NAC wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 21:29

AUS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/ ... C0NMI.jpeg

GB

http://media.themalaymailonline.com/upl ... 170715.JPG
you cant tell the difference because that rake is suppose to change as the cars go faster so you need a picture where the two cars are travelling at the same speed or not travelling at all
...and you need fotos from the exact same angle and same light or at least you have to know the differences in the view.

Shakeman

I wouldn't expect to see any difference in rake on the W08 beyond setup tuning as Merc's aero philosophy is not dependent on it. Rake is not an indication of aero development it's an indication of overall aero philosophy so it shouldn't change during the season.

I saw a good interview with an aero designer who explained there is a choice to be made, do you send the air from the front of the car over the body and work the top of the diffuser or do you send it underneath the car and exploit the ground effect? Both philosophies have their pros and cons, he said neither necessarily results in a faster car as there's plenty of scope for screwing up either concept.

We can remember McLaren getting their numbers dreadfully wrong on airflow under the floor and rake which resulted in a car that had shown great promise in the simulator actually just another dud.

Powerslide

in this video is proof they are using rear downforce to take an effect on rake...hence fric. now that its banned teams seem to still tune their suspension on the spirit of its effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPgCD9nEl-k

fric's see-saw effect and its effect on wing attack angle
speed

Godius

Floor detail, via reddit:

Moose

The humps at the front of the flat floor section - they have something fun inside them then. I guess that makes sense from a packaging point of view - you wouldn't want to waste that space, but it does make me wonder about RedBull's old heat-the-T-tray-to-make-it-flex-up approach - could Merc be flexing the front of the floor?

Just_a_fan

They're just the lower crash structures I think. Nothing more sinister than that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

roon

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 23:29
They're just the lower crash structures I think. Nothing more sinister than that.
Yeah, they're actually visible in the photo. Carbon tubes with metal bosses on their ends.