Force India VJM10 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Raleigh

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Quite surprised by how conservative Force India have been with cooling, after all engine regulations are not substantially changed for this year and if anything the VJM10 has larger sidepods than last years car, they are probably the only team to be using almost the full width of the new floor.

Sidhartha.techie

Blackout wrote:What do they mean with "„Wir fahren hier in Barcelona noch nicht einmal den Rennspar-Modus“, verriet ein Mercedes-Kunde" ?
I think they mean the engine was not tuned for the optimum performance, they were running a conservative setting.
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

vas_04614

Sidhartha.techie wrote:
Blackout wrote:What do they mean with "„Wir fahren hier in Barcelona noch nicht einmal den Rennspar-Modus“, verriet ein Mercedes-Kunde" ?
I think they mean the engine was not tuned for the optimum performance, they were running a conservative setting.
From google translate.

"We do not even drive the race-saving mode here in Barcelona, ​​"a Mercedes customer revealed"

So they were running very basic mode which is not even used in during races let alone quali. Must be because of exhaust issue, hope they fix it early and do proper runs else they wouldn't know how car is competitive wise when running in anger

But as per Adaulto Silva, a Brazilian F1 journalist

"FORCE INDIA - The team did not impress at the start. He made his fastest laps with both drivers using super-soft compounds and even then they were P15 and P16 overall. In mileage they only rode more than McLaren and Toro Rosso. Williams does not count because he stayed one day without running for lack of parts for the stroke of Stroll, otherwise they would have walked much more than Force India. And guys, what a ugly car!

There seems to be missing downforce in the car, which brakes too early and is so slowly on the corners, just like McLaren. In 2016 they surprised and stayed in P4 in the constructors' championship. This year I doubt they will. Unless they have something very good up their sleeve to show next week."

Manjhi

vas_04614 wrote: But as per Adaulto Silva, a Brazilian F1 journalist

"FORCE INDIA - The team did not impress at the start. He made his fastest laps with both drivers using super-soft compounds and even then they were P15 and P16 overall. In mileage they only rode more than McLaren and Toro Rosso. Williams does not count because he stayed one day without running for lack of parts for the stroke of Stroll, otherwise they would have walked much more than Force India. And guys, what a ugly car!

There seems to be missing downforce in the car, which brakes too early and is so slowly on the corners, just like McLaren. In 2016 they surprised and stayed in P4 in the constructors' championship. This year I doubt they will. Unless they have something very good up their sleeve to show next week."
I too saw them struggling on corners, I thought they have opted for more downforce but that package is creating more trouble for them. But it is early stages, they have shown that before as well, they have always came back strongly in the later part of the season the only exception is 2014 season.

But nobody can predict their performance yet, coz today Torro Rosso's tech director said they are competing with Renault & Haas, but they are not sure about Force India & Williams. That means either these two teams are sandbagging or not running on full throttle.

It will be interesting to see their performance in this weeks testing.

Blackout

makecry wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5rRtVSXQAETSS8.jpg
Now we know what that bump on Forhead is for!
Looks like an inerter, but why is it so big? and is it still linked to a springing system placed in the sidepod?

PlatinumZealot

Bob fernely is confident. He still thinks the aero can occasionaly trouble the top three so let us not take too much stock in testing times.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

roon

henry wrote:

The shaft looks like it is part of a ball screw, possibly driving a rotating mass inerter.
What's the legality status for inerters?

dren

roon wrote:
henry wrote:

The shaft looks like it is part of a ball screw, possibly driving a rotating mass inerter.
What's the legality status for inerters?
Allowed. It's what the 'J-dampers' are.
Honda!

blacksky200

Is that deformed decals / heat damage / dent, between the "SAHARA" and the orange paintwork?

Manjhi

blacksky200 wrote:Is that deformed decals / heat damage / dent, between the "SAHARA" and the orange paintwork?

https://images.scribblelive.com/2017/3/ ... 0a_800.jpg
I think just a paint, or the sidepod might have collided with something. But I don't think it will affect the performance.

Goran2812

I managed to get these shots today... looking forward to tomorrow!

Last edited by Goran2812 on 09 Mar 2017, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Italiano

Onboard. Video a bit choppy at first, it gets smoother.

#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Sidhartha.techie

Some Images from today, courtesy http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de

"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

McMrocks

An Article from AMuS quoting Bob Fernley and Andy Green

Things they actually said:
-Bob Fernley: Ferrari is 1.5 sec faster on the long runs
Williams is faster too but they expect to catch up during the season

-Andy Green: car is 10Kg too heavy
Merc engine got heavier
Merc gearbox got heavier ("12cm longer" plus changes to pass the rear crash test)
Windtunnel data does not corellate 100% to the track data

Things the article says without quoting somebody
-Force India will not do Qualification runs in Barcelona
- Force India struggles with cracks in the exhaust tail pipes
- Merc gearbox's rear section is very high and requires the rear wing pylon going through the exhaust
-they plan to tighten the sidepods (as they dont need that much cooling)

My opinion: From the picture it looks like the gear box housing isnt that high

Samraj_official

McMrocks wrote:An Article from AMuS quoting Bob Fernley and Andy Green

Things they actually said:
-Bob Fernley: Ferrari is 1.5 sec faster on the long runs
Williams is faster too but they expect to catch up during the season

-Andy Green: car is 10Kg too heavy
Merc engine got heavier
Merc gearbox got heavier ("12cm longer" plus changes to pass the rear crash test)
Windtunnel data does not corellate 100% to the track data

Things the article says without quoting somebody
-Force India will not do Qualification runs in Barcelona
- Force India struggles with cracks in the exhaust tail pipes
- Merc gearbox's rear section is very high and requires the rear wing pylon going through the exhaust
-they plan to tighten the sidepods (as they dont need that much cooling)

My opinion: From the picture it looks like the gear box housing isnt that high
so does that mean force india weighs 738kg rather than 728kg???? and the car looks sluggish in the corners too!!!!! Bad way to start the season.

i also thought the track correlation data would be great since they started using 60% TMG Windtunnel.