Force India VJM10 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
mitsmania
66
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

New T-wing with Aluminium support

Image

Now this is exciting to see.

Image

PC - Albert Fabrega

BloodLad91
BloodLad91
5
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

mitsmania wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am
New T-wing with Aluminium support

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJqrPIBVYAAhJZF?format=jpg

Now this is exciting to see.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJqqTWqXoAAq6UJ?format=jpg


PC - Albert Fabrega
Looks Badass!!

skoop
skoop
15
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

mitsmania wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am
New T-wing with Aluminium support

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJqrPIBVYAAhJZF?format=jpg

Now this is exciting to see.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJqqTWqXoAAq6UJ?format=jpg

PC - Albert Fabrega
So what's the point of all this little wings? Do they help to direct the airflow better to the rear wing?

User avatar
Ashwinv16
29
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:04 am

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

Image
Halo not as bad as we thought

User avatar
Ashwinv16
29
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:04 am

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

skoop wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 am
mitsmania wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am
New T-wing with Aluminium support

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJqrPIBVYAAhJZF?format=jpg

Now this is exciting to see.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJqqTWqXoAAq6UJ?format=jpg

PC - Albert Fabrega
So what's the point of all this little wings? Do they help to direct the airflow better to the rear wing?
It helps to direct flow into the rear wing, notice the winglets are directing the air downwards away from the center. It also helps stop the air from "leaking" onto the other side while the car turns into sharp corners improving entry speeds, which is quite abundant in Singapore.
Halo not as bad as we thought

wesley123
wesley123
225
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

skoop wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 am
So what's the point of all this little wings? Do they help to direct the airflow better to the rear wing?
PRobably similar in execution to the plate Williams has in that area. I believe it is used to prevent vortex creation at the top of the fin, which would primarily happen, and be undesirable, under yaw.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

TankMarvin
TankMarvin
5
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

mitsmania wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am
New T-wing with Aluminium support

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJqrPIBVYAAhJZF?format=jpg


PC - Albert Fabrega
Gillette a new sponsor ?

BloodLad91
BloodLad91
5
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

wesley123 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:20 pm
skoop wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 am
So what's the point of all this little wings? Do they help to direct the airflow better to the rear wing?
PRobably similar in execution to the plate Williams has in that area. I believe it is used to prevent vortex creation at the top of the fin, which would primarily happen, and be undesirable, under yaw.
Craig Scarborough said in tweet that,
the fins should create a strong vortex pushing down on the rear wing.

User avatar
ScrewCaptain27
550
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 am
Location: Udine, Italy

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

Via AMuS:
Image
Image
Image
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

User avatar
Holm86
224
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:37 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

I think its to drive more air underneath the RW

wesley123
wesley123
225
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

BloodLad91 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:27 pm
wesley123 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:20 pm
skoop wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 am
So what's the point of all this little wings? Do they help to direct the airflow better to the rear wing?
PRobably similar in execution to the plate Williams has in that area. I believe it is used to prevent vortex creation at the top of the fin, which would primarily happen, and be undesirable, under yaw.
Craig Scarborough said in tweet that,
the fins should create a strong vortex pushing down on the rear wing.
I'm not sure what the point of that would be, certainly if you consider the cut-out in the rear wing flap that, I believe, every team runs.

Also, the T-wing would be in it's path, so if anything this vortex would affect the T-wing and not the rear wing.
And even if it would make a sharp downward turn, it would hit the rear wing pillar.

I don't think generating a vortex in this area would be beneficial for the rear wing, especially when this could be done closer to the rear wing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

BloodLad91
BloodLad91
5
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

wesley123 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:18 pm
BloodLad91 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:27 pm
wesley123 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:20 pm


PRobably similar in execution to the plate Williams has in that area. I believe it is used to prevent vortex creation at the top of the fin, which would primarily happen, and be undesirable, under yaw.
Craig Scarborough said in tweet that,
the fins should create a strong vortex pushing down on the rear wing.
I'm not sure what the point of that would be, certainly if you consider the cut-out in the rear wing flap that, I believe, every team runs.

Also, the T-wing would be in it's path, so if anything this vortex would affect the T-wing and not the rear wing.
And even if it would make a sharp downward turn, it would hit the rear wing pillar.

I don't think generating a vortex in this area would be beneficial for the rear wing, especially when this could be done closer to the rear wing.
The vortex collectively generated by fins on either side will pass underneath t- wing and onto rear wing, the midwing above airbox will help it by creating downwash.

User avatar
godlameroso
402
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

It's also to stop air spilling easily over the shark fin.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

wesley123
wesley123
225
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

BloodLad91 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm
wesley123 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:18 pm
I'm not sure what the point of that would be, certainly if you consider the cut-out in the rear wing flap that, I believe, every team runs.

Also, the T-wing would be in it's path, so if anything this vortex would affect the T-wing and not the rear wing.
And even if it would make a sharp downward turn, it would hit the rear wing pillar.

I don't think generating a vortex in this area would be beneficial for the rear wing, especially when this could be done closer to the rear wing.
The vortex collectively generated by fins on either side will pass underneath t- wing and onto rear wing, the midwing above airbox will help it by creating downwash.
Doubt that as it would need to travel a long way down, plus generate a large vortex(and not a strong one) that would be influenced by the low pressure zone of the T-wing.

There doesn't seem much point to actually generating a vortex there if you also consider the free area that allows the T-wing and that the rear wing is much bigger than only the center.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

BloodLad91
BloodLad91
5
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Post

wesley123 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 pm
BloodLad91 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm
wesley123 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:18 pm
I'm not sure what the point of that would be, certainly if you consider the cut-out in the rear wing flap that, I believe, every team runs.

Also, the T-wing would be in it's path, so if anything this vortex would affect the T-wing and not the rear wing.
And even if it would make a sharp downward turn, it would hit the rear wing pillar.

I don't think generating a vortex in this area would be beneficial for the rear wing, especially when this could be done closer to the rear wing.
The vortex collectively generated by fins on either side will pass underneath t- wing and onto rear wing, the midwing above airbox will help it by creating downwash.
Doubt that as it would need to travel a long way down, plus generate a large vortex(and not a strong one) that would be influenced by the low pressure zone of the T-wing.

There doesn't seem much point to actually generating a vortex there if you also consider the free area that allows the T-wing and that the rear wing is much bigger than only the center.
Well I'm not an expert by any stretch and can't help but only speculate, imo the fins arrangement will create vortex and like you said it won't (shouldn't) go through t-wing, it will go underneath t-wing arrangement whether it goes onto/underneath/over rear wing and how it will bring performance for that we have to wait for expert opinion or an article after race.